23 Dec, 2011, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
So, I tried out shiftedit.net It's not a bad client for being free and
having remote capabilities. The thing I don't understand is the FTP / SFTP
connectivity. Apparently you use your site's ftp credentials to login.

I tried this out with my website and it connected to my FTP server pretty easily.

The URL never changed between uploads / updates. I'm assuming they use some form
of AJAX trickery to do this.

Does anyone know how this works exactly? I'm curious about using FTP through the
browser without an plugins or anything else. This could be a very useful feature
to learn.

My webhost (fatcow.com) allows me to use the web based file manager to access my
files. Is this the same protocol? Is it using HTTP?
23 Dec, 2011, kiasyn wrote in the 2nd comment:
at a guess it sends an ajax request to a webservice that connects via FTP to do what it has to do
23 Dec, 2011, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 3rd comment:
That's what i was thinking…
24 Dec, 2011, Twisol wrote in the 4th comment:
Either its webserver proxies the request to the FTP server, or it uses a non-visible Flash object to manufacture true sockets. For security's sake, I hope it's the latter, since otherwise they could have a bad open proxy issue.
25 Dec, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
They could mitigate it (somewhat) by giving the javascript some kind of secret key to identify to the proxy, but indeed, all you'd need to (mis)use the proxy would be to grab that key from the source. ("key" here could be a literal password or any kind of scheme; the point is that you have it in the source)
25 Dec, 2011, Tyche wrote in the 6th comment:
JohnnyStarr said:
I tried this out with my website and it connected to my FTP server pretty easily.

The URL never changed between uploads / updates. I'm assuming they use some form
of AJAX trickery to do this.

I wouldn't think the URL would change at all. It's just using a different port.
The editor is surely using vanilla FTP.
0.0/6