07 Mar, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hmm, does Calvin have an odd qualm with one of the administrators of this site? Actually come to think of it is the old issue where Calvin banned Tyche, Samson, and myself related to the fact that the word mudbytes gets hit by his word censor as being a "foul" word. At first I wondered what the reason could be, but now I'm sincerely wondering if it has to do with the fact that Samson is banned on MudMagic and one of the administrators of this site…
07 Mar, 2007, Guest wrote in the 2nd comment:
Yes. You hit the nail on the head. He turned "mudbytes" into a censored word very shortly after we opened the site here. I don't know for sure what the motivation was, but I'd lay odds its because he doesn't like me much. Didn't know he banned you too :P
07 Mar, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 3rd comment:
He banned me for participating in the thread on TMC as Drizzt1216.
07 Mar, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 4th comment:
I thought you had said you talked it over with him after and resolved it?
07 Mar, 2007, Cratylus wrote in the 5th comment:
He's also filtered out Dead Souls. Here's an example of a censored post, someone who was trying to be helpful
(and it wasn't even me!):

" So, what mudlib should you pick? I'd recommend @!#$ because it appears
to be the most user friendly and powerful mudlib around at this time
plus it is actively maintained. Did I mention a large and very helpful
community available at your fingertips? @!#$ has many different featuers
including qcs (quick creation system for easily building rooms, weapons,
mobs, etc.), natural language parsing, an easy to use menu-driver admin
system, excellent documentation, and so much more. You can find more
about @!#$ at http://@!#$.net. If @!#$ isn't your thing, you might look
at TMI-II; Lima; Phantasmal; or even the mudlib I'm writing myself
(LPUniversity Mudlib) which I warn you is still in early development but
I'd be happy to support you and get you on your feet. You'll also be
happy to know that @!#$ runs off of Windows without the need of cygwin
or any third-party software (LPUniMudlib does as well) though the other
mudlibs _may_ require you to run them on linux (A powerful, alternative
operating system). "

Eventually he removed that thread entirely, else I'd have linked to it. A casual
browse through his site should turn up ample evidence…unless he starts deleting
threads, I guess. Amusingly, he *did* keep the thread that announced a
security flaw in Dead Souls! I guess he figures it makes DS look bad, so he's
keeping it. Really dunno.

Anyway, my guess is he's mad at me because of this:

http://dead-souls.net/articles/mudmagic....

and this

http://mudconnector.com/discuss/discuss....

I poked at his site again after reading Fizban's post…and it's pretty sad. There was a bit
of a controversy because he pulled the LP discussion board, and now it's back, but the poor
folks on it don't seem to know anything about LPmuds.net…I wonder if he's set up a filter for that yet?

I can't help but think of a lot of the people on that site as shut-ins…unaware of a world full
of joy and light and freedom. Ah well. Perhaps some day that iron curtain will crumble and fall.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
07 Mar, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 6th comment:
Heh he did unban me Zeno, for about 3 days, then he said I was inciting trouble on his forums and banned me again. As to the question of was I inciting trouble: Someone posted as looking to build on a D&D or AD&D MUD specifically Forgotten Realms. A poster posted and asked if they would be interested in building on a DBZ MUD. I posted a scathing reply that as soon as DBZ was based on D&D or AD&D and had a Fantasy Medieval I'd think about but until then to keep his posts off a thread that had clearly stated what the OP was looking for. That got me banned again, never cared to request being unbanned. I do have another account, I used it to post that at The Builder Academy we released tbaMUD 3.51 and that it was available for download on mudmagic, mudbytes, and CWG, and realized it edited mudbytes.
07 Mar, 2007, Guest wrote in the 7th comment:
Yes, he's been deleting threads. But that should really come as no surprise considering his past deeds even before this time last year when he banned me. He kicked Shadows of Isildur to the curb because the admin started a new project that paid money. Guess Kyndig doesn't much care for the success of others.

But whatever. It's his site. Let him run it as he sees fit. If he runs it into the ground, nobody on the outside will be surprised but it'll come as quite a shock to his flock of shut-ins ( nice term there Cratylus ).
07 Mar, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 8th comment:
Fizban said:
Heh he did unban me Zeno, for about 3 days, then he said I was inciting trouble on his forums and banned me again. As to the question of was I inciting trouble: Someone posted as looking to build on a D&D or AD&D MUD specifically Forgotten Realms. A poster posted and asked if they would be interested in building on a DBZ MUD. I posted a scathing reply that as soon as DBZ was based on D&D or AD&D and had a Fantasy Medieval I'd think about but until then to keep his posts off a thread that had clearly stated what the OP was looking for. That got me banned again, never cared to request being unbanned. I do have another account, I used it to post that at The Builder Academy we released tbaMUD 3.51 and that it was available for download on mudmagic, mudbytes, and CWG, and realized it edited mudbytes.

Ah okay. I was surprised when you said you had discussed it with him. Because I've emailed him (politely) in the somewhat recent past at least asking what happened (why my MUD listing was deleted mainly). He didn't even bother to respond to my emails. So I talked to a friend and had him post on MudMagic asking if Kyndig was getting my emails or the sort. Kyndig didn't like the fact that this was being brought public, which I found funny since I couldn't take it private with him because he was ignoring me… Apparently my friend had talked to Kyndig for a bit via PMs, and the last PM my friend had sent Kyndig never responded to. So yeah…

I don't really have any interest to returning, but it'd still be nice to know a reason why he deleted my MUD listing.
07 Mar, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 9th comment:
And as to the mention of the flame board getting removed in the article Cratylus mentioned…yeah that was when I realized he had went too far perhaps. To the best of my knowledge the board was removed because of a post I posted on it (to the best of my knowledge anyway) referring to him saying on TMC that he'd change anyone who made an username titled Kyndig Sucks, to Fart Nuts. I was bored at the time, and drunk, and made a login named Kyndig Sucks, and posted on the flame board to see if he'd ban me or change my username to Fart Nuts as promised. Apparently he went with ban, and remove the flame board as well while he was at it.
07 Mar, 2007, Justice wrote in the 10th comment:
Hehe, and to think, the only reason I ever had a MudMagic account was because people were asking about GZ there, so I added my 2 cents. Then again, I'm a recluse, not a shut in :p
07 Mar, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 11th comment:
I'm only a TMC "shut-in" as there I have 600-ish posts…
07 Mar, 2007, Conner wrote in the 12th comment:
I don't know, he banned me because I host SBI which is owned by Zeno, so guilt by association. *shrug*
07 Mar, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 13th comment:
TMC and Mudmagic are both terrible sites IMO. You have TMC, which exists to advertise for a set of muds, and then mudmagic which has its own set of terrible problems.
07 Mar, 2007, Omega wrote in the 14th comment:
I don't mind TMC, but i do steer away from the forums there, icky design, :P

As for mudmagic, i'm surprised i haven't been banned there, since i told kyndig off about him removing my site-listing because of his imaginary battle with samson, so i demanded that he remove my source-code if he was going to remove my mud listing, because it unfairly brought me into a battle which was not mine.

He then said no to removing my source code, and then I quickly responded with a DCMA threat, and moments later all my code was removed from his site. Oi.. But yet, i'm not banned, i find it quite interesting.

In anycase, mudmagic wouldn't be 'horrible' if it was run by someone alittle less power hungry, and alittle more intelligent, and if it had a better forum layout….. and if it called itself mudbytes……

yeah….. mudmagic sucks… i cannot deny it anymore(not that i was trying.. HAHA)

Fuxers!
07 Mar, 2007, Tijer wrote in the 15th comment:
Kyndig removed my muds listing because on my www.godwars.net site i posted that people should steer clear of mudmagic, and find some other site to post their muds. I originally had an account with mudmagic, he also removed that, with no reimbursal, course i hadnt actually payed a penny, was there for 6 months and paid around 7$ as all the rest of my time there was due to referralls.. :P
07 Mar, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 16th comment:
How come I probably get that user account banned as well because I mentioned on TMC that I wouldn't be shocked if in the near future Wolfpaw became a "foul" word…
07 Mar, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 17th comment:
Darien said:
…so i demanded that he remove my source-code…

Fuxers!

Oh great message to anyone downloading and wanting to use your code.
Piss off this baby and he'll revoke your license.

I'm pretty sure the word you want is spelled Fucker.
07 Mar, 2007, Omega wrote in the 18th comment:
i had him remove my source-code because he obviously didn't want to list my mud, so why should he list my source-code.

Its not his position to judge that because i'm on samson's server, i deserve to be banned, what if i had completely different opinions then samson. Now i was being punished for something i wasn't even involved with, so i chose to remove my source from his site, why would i want to help further his mud community when i was obviously not wanted.

Why else would he of removed my site, other then me not being wanted.

Thats how i took it, it was a slap in the face, and i reserve the right to have my code hosted where i want it. And i'm just fine with it being here, i don't have a problem with any individuals that are here, except for justice, that guy just gets on my nerves ;)

fuxer..

(just kidding justice)

see my point is, if for some odd reason, mudbytes were to decide that my mud was to not be listed here, not because they don't list muds (which they do… obviously) but because of a personal reason against me, or agains the site that hosts my mud, then i would have no choice but to remove my code.

And rightfuly so, if they don't want to list my mud, then they don't want my source, thats how i interpret it. Nothing todo with licences.
07 Mar, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 19th comment:
i reserve the right to have my code hosted where i want it.
….
Nothing todo with licences.

Apparently you need to amend your terms of use you include with your code.

I suggest something along the following lines…
If you piss me off, I will revoke your license to use, alter or redistribute this code.
List of people who have pissed me off so far and had their license revoked:
* Calvin Ellis aka "Kyndig"

That way people who download your code have some advance warning that the author is a flake. Then they can decide whether they want to risk using, modify or distribute their versions of the code. What if one of your users applies a bug fix or feature change and uploads it to MudMagic or some other site or persons that's on your shit list?

Oh and don't tell me this has nothign to do with licenses..
He then said no to removing my source code, and then I quickly responded with a DCMA threat, and moments later all my code was removed from his site.

DMCA requests are sent to copyright infringinging sites. Apparently Kyndig infringed on your copyrights because he removed your mud from his mud listing. I did not see any conditions in your codes terms of use about distributors of your code being required to list your mud on their site. What's worse is Kyndig is apparently a passive offender as some asshole uploaded the code and then apparently the same asshole demanded it be removed.

Thank God the vast majority of people who author mud code (Diku, Merc, ROM, LPMud, Mush, Mux, MOO authors) don't behave like children. Then again maybe you actuallly expect someone like Russ Taylor to send your mud host a DMCA request to remove your mud because you pissed him off. Believe me you won't. That's the difference between adults in the community and children.
07 Mar, 2007, Guest wrote in the 20th comment:
Ah, topic drift. Love it. Hate it. It happens :)

I don't see what Darien did as being any more or less childish than Kyndig removing mud listings from his site when the people who own the muds those listings went with were hosted by me. In fact, it's probably arguable that Kyndig's childish behavior could be seen as an anti-competitive business practice. Companies have been sued for much less. I'm also well aware that Kyndig tells people bad shit about me and my service because he doesn't like me. But he doesn't have the guts to say it in public or to my face.

As far as removing code, I see what Darien did as an act of protest. Not a copyright infringement action. Not as a license breach. He's perfectly within his rights to revoke distribution for any reason he sees fit. It's his code. Just because it's Rom related doesn't mean Kyndig or anyone else has any rights to it at all. His terms of use don't need to say that "if you remove my mud listing, I revoke your rights" because those rights were never granted to begin with. It doesn't matter what reason Darien decided to have them removed for. That is his sole right as the author of the code in question. It's not a terms of use it's a terms of distribution, which is one of the exclusive rights copyright holders have. Kyndig does not get a pass because Darien didn't specify some silly clause in his license about it. Darien revoked consent. Kyndig lost the privilege to distribute. End of story. It doesn't make Darien immature either. If anything it makes you arrogant to assume Kyndig retains any right to do anything with his code.

It's the same with Kyndig. His site. His rules. His choice. He removed my code and most if not all of the Smaug snippets I had contributed to the site. I never asked him to do this. For the very reason you're upset with Darien. I didn't see a need in involving innocent 3rd parties in our dispute. But Kyndig is also not obligated to continue distributing works I've contributed, or works you've contributed, or Cratylus, or Darien, Davion, or anyone else. If he wants it gone, it's gone. He thinks by removing it that he's keeping people from getting access to it, but hey, as you can see, we solved that problem. He wasn't going to cause a halt in distribution of anything with his actions, even though he's told people that's exactly what he was trying to accomplish. Even without MudBytes I have two other vehicles of my own to distribute with, and there are other resource sites willing to take the code.

Some people apparently see mudmagic as the only viable resource for text muds. The sane among us know that's not the case. The more active among us seek to make sure this is not the case down the road. Ultimately it may simply turn out that Kyndig just isn't used to having to compete with other sites and his old bully ways don't work anymore. These things have a way of levelling themselves out all on their own.
0.0/114