11 Mar, 2007, Guest wrote in the 81st comment:
Votes: 0
As you seem to have simply repeated yourself, I refer you to previous answers to the same questions. There's really no point in me also repeating myself. :rolleyes:
11 Mar, 2007, KaVir wrote in the 82nd comment:
Not so easy to answer those questions, is it?
11 Mar, 2007, Guest wrote in the 83rd comment:
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php...

( FYI, for you stat hounds, this is the 3500th post made on this forum. Woot. )
12 Mar, 2007, Gatewaysysop wrote in the 84th comment:
O…K… :thinking:

I see now why I chose a career in econometrics over anything having to do with law. Good god. :stare:
12 Mar, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 85th comment:
Samson said:
Because from what I've seen so far when an author or authors actually do stand up and defend their rights, you're right there calling it immature and childish. You can't have it both ways.

You don't understand the moral difference between an author revoking the rights granted to a licensee who is acting in good faith in respect to the license vs. an author revoking the rights granted to licensee for reasons independent of the license? No I'm pretty sure by now everyone has gotten the point and does understand the difference. A few posters would rather view the issue in simple tribal terms, that is whether Gohan happens to be playing for team Vegeta or team Goku. :-)
12 Mar, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 86th comment:
And society is pretty clear on the moral consequences of killing without just cause.

What society? Murder is seen as honourable in many cases in the Middle East. If you're wife cheats on you, you kill her, that's not pretty clear to me…
12 Mar, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 87th comment:
They can't just accuse me of profiting from it with nothing to back it up with.

Of course they can, I can accuse you of being a cross dressing whore who slept with his mother. The question is does that make it legally sound. No. They can accuse you of anything they want. Can they win a legal battle based on anything less than accusations with sound evidence? Probably not, can they accuse you anyway? Of course they can.
12 Mar, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 88th comment:
You don't understand the moral difference between an author revoking the rights granted to a licensee who is acting in good faith in respect to the license vs. an author revoking the rights granted to licensee for reasons independent of the license? No I'm pretty sure by now everyone has gotten the point and does understand the difference. A few posters would rather view the issue in simple tribal terms, that is whether Gohan happens to be playing for team Vegeta or team Goku. :-)

Seems cut and dry.

Situation 1: I find someone to be selling in-game items which is prohibited by my license and demand they no longer use my code.

Situation 2: I find out that a nigger is using my code and demand he remove it due to my hate of Africans.

PS: The above example is meant to display a hateful scenario and in no way expresses my opinions or beliefs on the concept of caucasian superiority.
12 Mar, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 89th comment:
Fizban said:
Situation 1: I find someone to be selling in-game items which is prohibited by my license and demand they no longer use my code.

Situation 2: I find out that a nigger is using my code and demand he remove it doe to my hate of Africans.

Unless of course one actually writes a no negro license clause, then the licensees know the score up front. It'd be a rather obnoxious license. Some have written licenses that specificly list persons like the ROM license. If for example Vryce opened up a mud repository and started distributing mud code, he wouldn't be able to distribute anything from the ROM tree. I wouldn't demand he remove any of my code, unless he was violating my licenses.
12 Mar, 2007, syn wrote in the 90th comment:
Fizban said:

Seems cut and dry.

Situation 2: I find out that a nigger is using my code and demand he remove it doe to my hate of Africans.

PS: The above example is meant to display a hateful scenario and in no way expresses my opinions or beliefs on the concept of caucasian superiority.

you still could have made the point without using the racial slur.
12 Mar, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 91st comment:
True, but the point was that if someone had a hate for Afircans I assure you their reasoning for saying they could not use their code would indeed include the racial slur.
11 Apr, 2007, Metsuro wrote in the 92nd comment:
So you guys are saying, that if you make a sword or any object all its information, description and stats which you came up with yourself, are derived from diku, because diku made the system for in which items are displayed?
11 Apr, 2007, KaVir wrote in the 93rd comment:
Read the thread, Metsuro.
11 Apr, 2007, Metsuro wrote in the 94th comment:
I did, and it was said that if its displayed in the mud, its part of the DIKU license, so thats what I'm trying to figure out… my character… because I put it in the mud, is now part of the it right? thats what was being said because its being used in the DIKU mud, so as long as the character is in the mud, I cant claim it, or sell it in any means?
11 Apr, 2007, Guest wrote in the 95th comment:
Metsuro, that's what some people are maintaining. Whereas I'm maintaining that your own added content is yours and yours alone. Even though it's clearly dependent on the use of the Diku codebase to function. It's much like Oblivion or Morrowind plugins. The users who create those can pretty much do with them as they please, and I've even seen them on sale in a few places. Bethesda is well aware that such things go on, and as far as I know they haven't come down on anyone for doing it.
11 Apr, 2007, KaVir wrote in the 96th comment:
One of the intentions of the Diku licence, as stated by the Diku team, is that you cannot sell any sort of in-game benefit.

In a directory on the mud server is a data file which contains information about your character. You can do whatever you like with it outside of the mud without going against the Diku team's stated intent.

However the mud also uses that data file to initialise certain attributes of your character within the mud. That in-game representation of your character combines two distinct elements: the data file, and DikuMUD.

It is possible to have further elements as well. For example, if your mud were based on Star Wars, then naming your character "Luke Skywalker" and giving him a lightsabre might also cause conflict with George Lucas.
11 Apr, 2007, Scandum wrote in the 97th comment:
I've grown to wonder what is worse, people who violate open source licenses, or those who create open source licenses.

I think the example of a license that prohibits blacks from using the software is a good example of how odd the entire concept is. Or to place it more into the spirit of the DIKU license: People of all colors can use this software, as long as you act white!

I'm wondering now if creating a racist license would be legal in the US, it's certainly illegal in the EU. Anyways, a renewed effort to encourage people to publish public domain software would be nice.
11 Apr, 2007, syn wrote in the 98th comment:
I dont see how that's the spirit of the DIKU license at all.

At that rate, why even speak, surely someone will be offended and you will need counseling and fines.
12 Apr, 2007, Cratylus wrote in the 99th comment:
I didn't get the memo about OSS being evil. Can someone remind me of the details?

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
12 Apr, 2007, Guest wrote in the 100th comment:
Scandum, you should be careful. Someone might decide you need to be put in rehab. Afterall, anyone with the balls to speak out like that must be sick and need our help.

Not that I can see the logic in saying the Diku license wants people to act white.
80.0/111