02 Aug, 2011, hollis wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Are you looking for a challenging, combat-and-crafting focused mud that isn't just mindless hack and slash?

Conquest offers a rich gaming experience. Our combat system is simple to learn, but difficult to master. Mix and match skills between four schools of magic and over twenty types of weapons to develop your own unique fighting style.

Go back to town at any time to fine-tune your skill and stat selections. You'll need to, because the wilderness is unforgiving! Monsters are on par with players for power level. Instead of mindlessly grinding down enemies, you will need to puzzle out how to overcome each foe with the skills you have available. If you're still having trouble, recruit an NPC mercenary or PC friend to cut your way through dungeons and lairs, collecting precious crafting materials as you do.

All items outside of the starting zone are player crafted. Collect rare recipes and materials to outfit yourself with powerful magical items, or make a name for yourself by selling your wares to other players. Specialize in alchemy, blacksmithing, carpentry, gemcraft, leatherworking, or metalsmithing to create anything you could possibly need.

Unlike most muds, most areas outside of the starting zone are also player created! ConQUEST's lair system allows players to dig a dungeon and store their treasures in it. The longer the items stay in your lair, the more powerful they become. However, be careful! NPC mercenaries and other players will try to raid your lair and steal your riches for them selves. Hire monsters you find in the wilderness to act as guards, and then secure your lair's hoards with deadly guillotine traps, pit traps, potion launchers, and secret doors!

Are these traps not nefarious enough for you? ConQUEST has a formal process for submitting new crafting ideas including traps, armor, weapons, and miscellanea. If you have a great idea for a new item, read the development guidelines and submit your idea at the Office of Developmental Affairs. If it is accepted, it will be implemented and you will receive a recipe that will allow you to craft your submitted idea!

ConQUEST offers deep, rich gameplay where players have a very large impact on how the world evolves and develops. If you want to play an engaging game where you have the power to shape the world, come give us a try!

telnet://conquest.sdmud.com:5000
02 Aug, 2011, KaVir wrote in the 2nd comment:
hollis said:
ConQUEST's lair system allows players to dig a dungeon and store their treasures in it. The longer the items stay in your lair, the more powerful they become. However, be careful! NPC mercenaries and other players will try to raid your lair and steal your riches for them selves. Hire monsters you find in the wilderness to act as guards, and then secure your lair's hoards with deadly guillotine traps, pit traps, potion launchers, and secret doors!

Ah neat, you managed to come up with a working implementation? Last year you mentioned the potential problem of "stationing a dragon at the front of your..." - did you go for the "share of the experience" idea in the end, or did you find another solution? Did you go with the search tool idea as well?

Do you have forums or a website with any more details? I'm still very much interested in the idea of player-built dungeons, and I'd be curious to read more about your implementation.
02 Aug, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 3rd comment:
I am especially curious about room description, do you generate them yourself or do you let your player write it (gasp).
03 Aug, 2011, Idealiad wrote in the 4th comment:
KaVir, there's an 'activity' stat tracked for your lair – if players can't get into your lair because of a tough monster at the front, your whole lair suffers. Monsters do take a share of the loot too, and there's extensive search tools, it's really cool.

There's some other interesting stuff tracked for lair monsters, for example

lair guard grizzly
Comment Cost Modifier
——————————————————————————-
It is unhappy about its distance from your hoards 0.30
It thinks it is is not guarding significant enough treaure 0.60
It feels you do not trust it enough to guard its station alone 0.30
It is scared of a more powerful nearby guard 1.00

Base Cost: 1 prestige

It's a fun system.

@RR, it's not generated, there's a flag system for community self-policing, but at this point I've never had to do it. For that matter, my lair rooms don't have descriptions at all, and I rather like it that way.

Btw, the forum is at conquest.nakedmud.org but most of the lair info is in-mud in the help. Some of the forum stuff is from the old CQ.
03 Aug, 2011, hollis wrote in the 5th comment:
KaVir said:
Ah neat, you managed to come up with a working implementation? Last year you mentioned the potential problem of "stationing a dragon at the front of your..." - did you go for the "share of the experience" idea in the end, or did you find another solution? Did you go with the search tool idea as well?

Yeah, I have something basic worked out. Players stash loot in their dungeon that will age over time and become more powerful. The number of items that will age each day is equal to the number of monsters killed in your lair. The idea is that player dungeons are both a competitive and cooperative thing. They are competitive in the sense that one person is trying to take something from another person, and cooperative in the sense that the dungeon owner actually has to make it possible for some valuable items to be looted or else they won't have anyone come and kill their monsters. Yes, there is a search tool. People can search by keyword and stat bonuses, and they will be told which items meet their requirement, and where they can be found. Interestingly, this isn't used all that much as a means of finding out where to adventure. The player base is still small and close-knit, and many of the people just ask to trade for the item instead of go try and loot it. I would like to see how that changes as the player base gets larger and becomes more anonymous.

KaVir said:
Do you have forums or a website with any more details? I'm still very much interested in the idea of player-built dungeons, and I'd be curious to read more about your implementation.

Like Idealiad said, most of the documentation is found in game. The forum information on lairs is sparse. There's no website yet. I will make a detailed mudlab post in a few months about the mechanics, my observations on how players use lairs, and where I want to go with it next. In the meantime… come make a lair :)

Rarva.Riendf said:
I am especially curious about room description, do you generate them yourself or do you let your player write it (gasp).

Believe it or not, players are allowed to write their own descriptions and they're pretty good! The lairs are also fantastically designed, exceeding my own design skills when I lay out and describe non-player dungeons (well, about 30% of player lairs, the rest are about on par with my skills or incomplete because, I assume, the designers got sidetracked/bored). A small but important point is that lairs aren't just aesthetic creations. Players directly benefit from having traffic in the lairs they create. Unlike I suspect lots of attempts at player-generated content, I am putting an emphasis on holding players accountable for their creations (players benefit from how many people use their lair). This changes the type of behavior you see; it's like the difference between mob mentality and sitting down and having a coffee with someone.
0.0/5