01 Jul, 2011, SudoNym wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hi all, just signed up here and glad to be here.

My quick questions are:
What is the wwwport in the RoT code base used for?
and
Aside from the great collection of code snippets here, where else might I be able to find some good ones? (I've searched around quite a bit just want to see if anyone will post any I missed)

Thanks for whatever answers I get, I appreciate it.
01 Jul, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 2nd comment:
http://mudmagic.com/codes/download/

But since some of the one you can find here come from there I have no idea if there is more on mudmagid you don't have here.
02 Jul, 2011, Kayle wrote in the 3rd comment:
Considering that archive that was hosted there, was imported into the Code section here, I highly doubt there's anything different there
05 Jul, 2011, SudoNym wrote in the 4th comment:
Thanks for the replies every bit helps. :)
07 Jul, 2011, Littlehorn wrote in the 5th comment:
If you're looking for snippets, use the ROM snippets as ROT was built on top of it.
07 Jul, 2011, melopene wrote in the 6th comment:
I think a lot of us could be more helpful pointing you in the right direction (at least, with regard to snips) if we knew what you were trying to accomplish with your game. If you're just doing it to learn, snippetize away, but if you want to do much more, you're going to want to find well-written bits of code to start reverse-engineering as well as some reference guides so you can learn your way around - this, of course, assuming that you're a novice coder, as I once was.

Also, since your initial question wasn't answered, I believe the wwwport in RoT relates back to whoweb.c, which can be used to publish your who list to your website. I use RoT because I inherited some code, and much of my changes have reverted it back toward RoM (including that bit), so I can't say with all certainty.

Hope that helps.
08 Jul, 2011, SudoNym wrote in the 7th comment:
Just poking about and learning what I can, mostly what I'm trying to learn of is where other code repositories might be aside from this one and the few that I've already found. Especially those code repos that contain ROT specific code. Sure I can adapt ROM code, or merc or even diku or if I see a good idea in some completely unrelated mud engine I can make that work too. I've been a programmer for 24 years or so now, C reads just fine to me. I just like seeing what others have already done and like to avoid reinventing the wheel where interests merge.
08 Jul, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 8th comment:
Avoid ROM code at all cost, not worth the time of debugging it if you want to start a new mud. Not even worth the time if you want to revive an old one.
Been there, done that.
08 Jul, 2011, KaVir wrote in the 9th comment:
SudoNym said:
Sure I can adapt ROM code, or merc or even diku or if I see a good idea in some completely unrelated mud engine I can make that work too.

I believe the point Littlehorn was making is that ROT is based on ROM, and therefore many of the ROM snippets could be used in ROT as-is without needing to be adapted. The same would be true (to a lesser extent) of some Merc snippets, as ROM is based on Merc. And of course some snippets are completely codebase-independent.
08 Jul, 2011, Littlehorn wrote in the 10th comment:
Yeah, ROT is basically ROM with more enhancements and more unstable code. There will obviously be some differences between the 2 codebases, but the point is you only need to do some slight modifications at most to make ROM snippets work for ROT systems.
08 Jul, 2011, SudoNym wrote in the 11th comment:
This thread just keeps winding farther and farther away from the topic. This is like stopping to ask directions to a gas station and having a group of people tell you that first you need to buy a new car and get a Florida drivers license.
Amazingly I did get Littlehorn's point. ROT is based on ROM. That's just fine and I can use that code.
I can also use Merc code with minimal fuss and change. If I feel like going that little extra step I can even use Diku code. If I'm really feeling frisky I'll put a wlan card into my coffee pot so I can tell it to brew over the network. Ya I'm just that damn good. It doesn't mean I'll do it. But maybe just maybe it's a fun idea and I might. That's what I'm looking for, Ideas in the form of code.

Now in an attempt to get this thread back on topic instead of just increasing your post counts I'll reiterate the question.

The question was,
Do you know of any MUD CODE repositories that are not this one?

Topics that are not up for discussion,
How I should just use the code based here. It's a great site, no doubts about it, I've found it already and am happily checking out what it has to offer. I'm interested in finding other sites as well.
What code base I should use. If it's buggy and crashes I'll figure out why and fix it. Other then that I'll use whatever code base I like. If you would like to offer advice to newbs on what code base to use, start your own thread. I didn't ask.

Following are examples,
Rarva.Riendf said:
http://mudmagic.com/codes/download/

But since some of the one you can find here come from there I have no idea if there is more on mudmagic you don't have here.

This is a good reply to the question. It contains asked for information that is potentially helpful.

Littlehorn said:
If you're looking for snippets, use the ROM snippets as ROT was built on top of it.

This is a bad reply to the question. It contains unasked for information and 0 information regarding the topic of the thread.

melopene said:
I think a lot of us could be more helpful pointing you in the right direction (at least, with regard to snips) if we knew what you were trying to accomplish with your game. If you're just doing it to learn, snippetize away, but if you want to do much more, you're going to want to find well-written bits of code to start reverse-engineering as well as some reference guides so you can learn your way around - this, of course, assuming that you're a novice coder, as I once was.

Also, since your initial question wasn't answered, I believe the wwwport in RoT relates back to whoweb.c, which can be used to publish your who list to your website. I use RoT because I inherited some code, and much of my changes have reverted it back toward RoM (including that bit), so I can't say with all certainty.

Hope that helps.

This reply is a mixture of both. It does contain ,in the second paragraph ,some speculation on one of the questions asked at the beginning of this thread. The first paragraph however asks for irrelevant information. It doesn't matter which direction my code is going, that is not the topic of the discussion. Nor does it contain the location of other sites that contain MUD CODE SNIPPETS. It does mention reference guides, and those would be helpful to a new mud coder, but fails to give any links to said guides.

So please try and stay on Topic. If you would like to offer advice to a newbie coder, please start a new thread.

If however you do know where other MUD CODE REPOSITORIES are feel free to post.

Now I'm going to skewer a couple of hotdogs, sit back, and wait for the flames and maybe just maybe one or two of the replies I get farther down the thread will contain information that is both on topic and useful.
08 Jul, 2011, melopene wrote in the 12th comment:
You know how I know you're new to the MUD community?

SudoNym said:
This thread just keeps winding farther and farther away from the topic. This is like stopping to ask directions to a gas station and having a group of people tell you that first you need to buy a new car and get a Florida drivers license.

…..

So please try and stay on Topic. If you would like to offer advice to a newbie coder, please start a new thread.

If however you do know where other MUD CODE REPOSITORIES are feel free to post.

Now I'm going to skewer a couple of hotdogs, sit back, and wait for the flames and maybe just maybe one or two of the replies I get farther down the thread will contain information that is both on topic and useful.

We go off topic, a lot. We threadjack. We flame. Welcome to the club. And telling us what's permissible and not permissible in your thread is probably going to get you flamed and threadjacked far more than it otherwise would. In 10 years or so since I've been posting on MUD forums, I can say confidently that we haven't matured all that much.

Oh, and reply to your criticism of my post - it DOES matter what direction your game is going. I'm not going to dig up all my old, outdated links, pull them up on the wayback machine, and pass that over to you if I don't know what you're looking for, if there are specific needs, etc. Your initial post read just like a million other initial posts from new MUD admins, at all varying levels of experience with coding, gaming, etc., and had minimal information. And so, in the interest of being helpful, we asked for additional information, provided advice, etc. In turn, you start trying to catch flies with vinegar instead of honey.

So, I'll suggest that you try for a do-over, offer more clarity and background related to your information request, and tone down the haughtiness.
08 Jul, 2011, SudoNym wrote in the 13th comment:
melopene, You really go out of your way in pointing out how utterly futile trying to get a straight answer out of this forum might be. Just because you decided it's okay to flame and threadjack doesn't mean the entire mud community does. You probably just don't see them because they avoid you like typhoid mary. Do you really need to know my shoe size to point out a website? No. Do you really think I need to have a specific want to look through code and go 'hey this is nice'. No I don't. I'm telling you my mud is irrelevant to my interests in the code others have written. I don't care if the site hosts code for RoT, RoM, Merc, Diku, LP, or any other MUD code base. I appreciate a well implemented Idea, and a well written piece of C. And yes I used you as an example of a mixed response. Sorry if that hurt your feelings, next time I'll put my little kid gloves on. You are making many assumptions. You assume that I'll be using the code I find and therefore it's relation to my mud matters. You assume I'm new to the mud community. Littlehorn assumes that I haven't noted that RoT is based on RoM. I assume you have ADHD melopene since you can't understand basic concepts. Can we all assume that I'm looking for what I asked for? Do something like that and I will be polite and gracious. I'll thank anyone who provides a useful response.
08 Jul, 2011, Tonitrus wrote in the 14th comment:
If you don't care about the codebase:

I always liked Valcados' SMAUG snippets.

Also, smaugmuds.org might have some you haven't seen before. Or not, or whatever.

I don't know much about ROM or RoT, so your mileage may vary.

(edit: Looks like many, most, or possibly all of those are duplicated here. Oh well.)
08 Jul, 2011, Runter wrote in the 15th comment:

Feeding game information to a website.

No.

Now that your questions have been answered do I have your permission to go off topic without you revealing to the world that I have ADHD and transmittable diseases?
08 Jul, 2011, SudoNym wrote in the 16th comment:
Thanks Tonitrus for the links, hadn't found those yet.

Runter said:

Feeding game information to a website.

No.

Now that your questions have been answered do I have your permission to go off topic without you revealing to the world that I have ADHD and transmittable diseases?

If I said no would it matter? Nah, go ahead I'll even change the name of the thread to more accurately reflect whats going on anyway.
08 Jul, 2011, Cratylus wrote in the 17th comment:
SudoNym said:
Nah, go ahead I'll even change the name of the thread to more accurately reflect whats going on anyway.

So many h8rs here amirite? And they wonder why muds are dying.
08 Jul, 2011, SudoNym wrote in the 18th comment:
Cratylus said:
So many h8rs here amirite? And they wonder why muds are dying.

I don't hate, I dis-appreciate.

Personally I think Muds are in decline due to three things
1. Rising illiteracy rates. People just can't be troubled to read anymore.
2. Over controlling mud admins. They suck the fun right out of it.
3. Video game consoles with vibrating controllers. Cause most people are basically just a bunch of wankers.

Eh but mostly item 1.
09 Jul, 2011, Tyche wrote in the 19th comment:
SudoNym said:

ftp://sourcery.dyndns.org/archive/
09 Jul, 2011, SudoNym wrote in the 20th comment:
Thank you Tyche, unfortunately that one seems too be dead at the moment.
0.0/24