21 Apr, 2011, Chris Bailey wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I needed to increase the maximum size of my java heap to around 2048mb but I can't seem to get it working in Windows 7. At the moment, running nothing but 1 instance each of Google Chrome and Windows Task Manager, I am using around 800mb of memory. Windows has cached another 3200mb or so for superfetch/intelligent caching/whatever. I'm used to this, and currently have *0* mb of memory free.

When I fire up a java app, it will of course release the cached memory that it needs. But when increasing the max heap size past 1024mb, java is unable to start because of some memory allocation error. What gives?
21 Apr, 2011, Runter wrote in the 2nd comment:
If you don't mind me asking, which application requires more than 1024mb that you're trying to run?
21 Apr, 2011, Chris Bailey wrote in the 3rd comment:
The application is critical to my professional success. I don't know if I will make it through the week without Minecraft with 256x256 textures. It wants to use a LOT of memory. =)
21 Apr, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 4th comment:
Runter said:
If you don't mind me asking, which application requires more than 1024mb that you're trying to run?

Any scientific or mathematical stuff (I put graphics in mathematical stuff) can requires either a bunch of memory/ disk space.
Memory is prefered for obvious speed reason. I also had this kind of problem with a java application I made to solve a 'simple' problem: optimizing equipment for a character dependings on the stats he wanted to achieve.
-Xmx2048m does not work ?
21 Apr, 2011, Chris Bailey wrote in the 5th comment:
Rarva.Riendf said:
-Xmx2048m does not work ?

Unfortunately it does not. That is the method I used to increase the heap.
21 Apr, 2011, Twisol wrote in the 6th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
Minecraft with 256x256 textures.

…Seriously? Whyyyy? :thinking: All of the high-res texture packs I've seen have looked completely out of place as blocks.
22 Apr, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 7th comment:
Hmm runnning 32 or 64bits version ? seems like jvm does not accept more than 1.5gb heap on 32 bits windows
otherwise you have another problem as it is what I use for my own application
22 Apr, 2011, Chris Bailey wrote in the 8th comment:
@Twisol - The new LB photo realism texture pack isn't bad at all imo. Combine it with wild grass and a water update and you will have some fancy blocks. :P

@Rarva - 64bit Windows with 32bit java. Maybe switching to 64bit java would help? I'll try it.
0.0/8