09 Feb, 2007, justdamnducky wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Can any of you suggest a codebase that will allow a slight profit (to help with operating expenses) for a MUD? We are even more than willing to buy something, although nothing in the cost range of DGD. :stare: An engine with OLC would also be very nice.

Thank you in advance for your time and suggestions.
09 Feb, 2007, Omega wrote in the 2nd comment:
you could just pay me to write you a ground up C++ mudbase, exactly how you want it with features that you want. i accept all major credit-cards, or… cash in the mail :) (prefer cash in the mail)
09 Feb, 2007, Darmond wrote in the 3rd comment:
personaly I perfer human souls and contracts signed in blood but sadly the bank dosent allow you to store those as currency and its hard finding shops that allow you to pay in the form of souls and soul contracts so ya I guess I would have to agree with Darien cash is better.
10 Feb, 2007, Omega wrote in the 4th comment:
seriously, if you want a mud that will allow you to profit from it, then you should ground up it, and if you don't know how to code, you hire someone todo it, it just works out that way.
10 Feb, 2007, justdamnducky wrote in the 5th comment:
Darien said:
seriously, if you want a mud that will allow you to profit from it, then you should ground up it, and if you don't know how to code, you hire someone todo it, it just works out that way.

To this end, I have sent you, Darien, an email asking for your resume to forward to our financier. I also seem to be unable to access your 'Sandstorms' website. It is temporarily down?
10 Feb, 2007, Conner wrote in the 6th comment:
Hmm, I hope ROCS can be completed before Darien accepts the full time paid position there.. but gratz Darien. :smile:
10 Feb, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 7th comment:
justdamnducky said:
Can any of you suggest a codebase that will allow a slight profit (to help with operating expenses) for a MUD? We are even more than willing to buy something, although nothing in the cost range of DGD. :stare: An engine with OLC would also be very nice.

Thank you in advance for your time and suggestions.

Almost every mud codebase that isn't derived from DikuMud or LPMud can be used commercially. The best one is probably the Genesis/ColdC server.

EDIT:
I made a list some time ago of all the mud servers that had OSD compatible licenses. I pasted it into and article here at http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=arti...

Most of the links will not work and should be updated to point to the home page of the code rather than my nonexistent repository.
10 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 8th comment:
justdamnducky said:
To this end, I have sent you, Darien, an email asking for your resume to forward to our financier. I also seem to be unable to access your 'Sandstorms' website. It is temporarily down?

His Sandstorm site was "down" because I have been in the middle of transferring my domains to another registrar and there were some bumps in the process that took the arthmoor.com subdomains out of commission for a few hours today. But everything should be up now.
10 Feb, 2007, Omega wrote in the 9th comment:
good job samson :) i didn't notice it down, though i figured when i recieved the email that, that was the case, :) though my website is busted to all sin right now cuz i'm rewriting the internal webserver for my mud, but meh, that'll all change soon enough :P
12 Feb, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 10th comment:
Just a question to Tyche. (I'm not specifically looking into using any of your codebases as a way to gain a profit, this is purely hypothetical.) Are Murk and RocketMUD legal for commercial use?
12 Feb, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 11th comment:
Fizban said:
Just a question to Tyche. (I'm not specifically looking into using any of your codebases as a way to gain a profit, this is purely hypothetical.) Are Murk and RocketMUD legal for commercial use?

That's a shame as nothing would make me giddier than someone making huge piles of cash off my code. :-)

• Murk++ is a Merc derivative so no. However all my code and changes are under a BSD like license, so someone knowledgeable could strip out those parts that are actually not derivative, standalone and useful code and make tons of quick cash. Like for instance symbol.cpp and symbol.hpp.

• RocketMud is public domain so yes.

• TeensyMud is under a BSD like license so yes.

• Paradigm is public domain so yes.

• All my ROM snippets are public domain, but they probably aren't useable outside of Diku

• All the ports I did were rereleased under the original license of the codebase. Most of them were under non-obnoxious licenses to begin with except for Diku Alfa, LPMud and UnterMud.
  • 13 Feb, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 12th comment:
    Odd, I'd expect most people would rather they made loads of cash off of their code than that someone else did.
    13 Feb, 2007, Metsuro wrote in the 13th comment:
    I am pretty sure he was being Sarcastic there Fizban. If I ever made a base, and released it and allowed people to profit from it, I'd demand a 5-10% of all sales like tax to go to me, so I'd make money without trying too <.<
    13 Feb, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 14th comment:
    Fizban said:
    Odd, I'd expect most people would rather they made loads of cash off of their code than that someone else did.

Well I already code for a living. I also code for fun. I'd find it really amusing if anybody made money off it. They'd certainly have to do a lot more work to make money from mud code, than what I put into coding it.
    13 Feb, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 15th comment:
    Maybe to make much, I bet I could find some idiots who would pay to play a stock RocketMUD…by some i mean people that fall into the 65-90 IQ Range whom I could manipulate.
    14 Feb, 2007, Sandi wrote in the 16th comment:
    By "manipulate" do you mean press their fingers on the proper keys? :cool:

The value of IQ has been falling with each decade. I'm not sure a person with a 90 IQ is capable of speech any more. :rolleyes:
    14 Feb, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 17th comment:
    You're right, how much of an IQ difference should there be between me and those I choose to manipulate, think I could aim for the 100-130 IQ range as my target idiots instead?
    15 Feb, 2007, Sandi wrote in the 18th comment:
    There's a better chance they hold down a paying job and have money to spend on perks.
    16 Feb, 2007, Vladaar wrote in the 19th comment:
    If you were looking to make any money, I wouldn't try to do it from a mud. Don't get me wrong some muds out there have and are making money, but usually they had money/resources from the start to get it going. It is my belief, ( sorry hard core mudders ) that the mud community is overtaxed with the few big games taking the majority of players that would bother to play a mud instead of a MMORPG. Heh, if you prove me wrong, and can run your mud and make enough money to cover your server, I would be very impressed.

I have tried a 2dimensional game engine myself, and even now, I think I have entered the market too late, people bore of 2d games as well. Good Luck with whatever you choose.

Vladaar
    02 Mar, 2007, justdamnducky wrote in the 20th comment:
    Vladaar said:
    If you were looking to make any money, I wouldn't try to do it from a mud. Don't get me wrong some muds out there have and are making money, but usually they had money/resources from the start to get it going. It is my belief, ( sorry hard core mudders ) that the mud community is overtaxed with the few big games taking the majority of players that would bother to play a mud instead of a MMORPG. Heh, if you prove me wrong, and can run your mud and make enough money to cover your server, I would be very impressed.

I have tried a 2dimensional game engine myself, and even now, I think I have entered the market too late, people bore of 2d games as well. Good Luck with whatever you choose.

Vladaar

Mmm, yes. There is usually no money to be made in a Mud, but we'll take what we can get to help with expenses. And as far as people becoming bored of 2D games . . true roleplayers will never be happy in any other medium. You just can't RP fully in 3D. And such a grade of people is what we want to interact with - true RPers.
    0.0/21