14 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Yeah, I have problems with paying more than $10/yr for a domain. I don't need webhosting from someone else, I provide my own. The only reason I paid Network Solutions their highway robbery is because I wanted iguanadons.net badly enough to avoid the risk of someone else buying it while I was looking for a new place.

For anyone who is curious about the outcome of my battle with registerfly, I've managed to pull all 13 domains that were listed with them over to 1and1.com. Surprisingly little resistance, which suggests they may have realized they're in big trouble. Either way, anyone who still has domains there needs to get the out fast.
14 Feb, 2007, Vladaar wrote in the 22nd comment:
Hrm,

I was not aware that registerfly.com was giving anyone problems. Since reading Samson's posts I have scanned the transactions on my bank for the last 5 months and don't see any transactions from registerfly or Hosting Group. That does make one nervous seeing that, at least the visa card they got from me is expired.

Vladaar
14 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 23rd comment:
Yeah, that's just it, until the beginning of this month, I didn't know anyone was having problems either. Then the fraud alert came through and it became all too clear. Not only had they gipped me for a bunch of duplicate renewals and transfers, but they *SOLD* my CC# to internet scammers who tried to sign me up for something like 12 dating sites. Yes, I'm openly accusing them of this. I don't believe in coincidence. When you get jacked by a scumbag company and charges start showing up on sites they either own or host, you do the math. Registerfly is a parasite upon the internet.
17 Feb, 2007, Crystal wrote in the 24th comment:
Well, I think I'll keep an eye on it for a while. I track my bank account with MS Money down to the penny, so I'll know if anything fishy shows up. I've been using them for a good 3 years or so, so far.

Did you ever decide on a registrar?
17 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 25th comment:
The jury is still out, but I chose to transfer everything over to 1and1.com. So far it's been dirt simple to manage the move. Their support people answer emails promptly AND know what they're talking about. Got all 13 domains moved, complications resolved, and DNS settings and such all updated before Enom even bothered to acknowledge I sent them stuff for the other 7 I still have hung up.

So we'll see. For now 1and1.com looks good.
17 Feb, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 26th comment:
Same here, I transfered away from RegisterFly. Google for RegisterFly, you'll see all the problems it has. Why risk staying with them?
18 Feb, 2007, Crystal wrote in the 27th comment:
Mostly because I don't know what would happen if I tried to switch registrars. If my domains would get lost in the shuffle (as appears to be a common theme in these registerfly complaints), etc. I'm not throwing the idea out, I just haven't had any problems with them yet. Maybe it's because I use paypal for my payments rather than a direct credit card, so I've never been charged anything suspicious.

I'll still do research on other registrars though.
20 Feb, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 28th comment:
Should have gotten out while you had the chance.
If you registered your domain at Registerfly.com, then you should know it may be locked, and you are at the moment unable to access it through Registerfly's website

http://slashdot.org/articles/07/02/20/00...
20 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 29th comment:
I agree with Zeno's assessment. I think it's too late to get out now if you were planning to. I barely escaped with mine before the mass lockdown began. All of the user accounts have been frozen out and no more changes to whois or domain lock status are being accepted.
20 Feb, 2007, Gatewaysysop wrote in the 30th comment:
Just got caught up on this by reading some of the many tid bits out there about this whole ordeal. I have to admit I'm a bit shocked and somewhat surprised at just how bad things got. What the holy hell is wrong with people? :stare:

Sometimes it really scares me, the way people treat their customers and the things that people can get away with in this country. I hope there is a law suit and that these idiots get taken for all their worth, and then some. :tongue:
23 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 31st comment:
My fist foray into the world of sucks sites: [domain no longer exists]
Simple and brutally efficient right now. Will probably expand upon it to include at least a forum. Not sure if a full QSFP install would be necessary, but it might be worth the effort just for shits.
23 Feb, 2007, Crystal wrote in the 32nd comment:
Well, then I'm probably screwed :)

Perhaps I will attempt a switch tonight, but I won't have my hopes up.
23 Feb, 2007, Crystal wrote in the 33rd comment:
Also, don't forget: [cybersquatter site]
23 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 34th comment:
I'd be wary of the admin at registerflies.com. It's completely unrealistic to assume Kevin Medina was the sole problem with the company. The other two had to know what was up and I believe they were willing participants who only acted once they realized ICANN is coming after them. Setting up their scapegoat.
23 Feb, 2007, Crystal wrote in the 35th comment:
Yeah, I'm not really paying attention to all the gossip on there. I'm just trying to figure out what steps I need to take to switch. As of right now, my domains are all paid up, and the next expiration is in July, and their biggest problem is already expired domains by the looks of it. That and extra charges on peoples credit cards (hence why I'm glad I used paypal to add money to my account and not my credit card).

I figure by July I'll have some form of a solution, or the company will fold and who even knows then what will happen to the domains :)
23 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 36th comment:
The problems are not limited to expired domains. Transfers and renewals are equally affected. Given that ICANN dropped the hammer on them and gave them 15 days to fix their crap, they may not make it to July. And if the company folds I honestly don't know what happens to the domains themselves.
24 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 37th comment:
http://registerflies.com/cease-all-trans...

Not that I'm surprised to hear this, but the site was hacked. Who did it is anyone's guess. They blame Medina, but who knows. There's no verifiable proof on either side. But come on. If people are still sending this place money then I'm not sure what more can be done to save them now.
03 Mar, 2007, Guest wrote in the 38th comment:
Opportunity knocks, if you have domains with registerfly.com, Kiasyn says the interface is currently allowing unlocks and should be generating auth codes. Get out while the escape is available.
03 Mar, 2007, Crystal wrote in the 39th comment:
I'm so weird, I had a dream last night that I was able to transfer my domains out.

As a side note, I don't seem to be able to unlock mine still.
03 Mar, 2007, Guest wrote in the 40th comment:
There's a bit of a trick that sometimes works with unlocking. Try going to the controls, unlock it, lock it, then unlock it again. Some users have reported this works and they can then transfer away.
20.0/126