02 Oct, 2010, donky wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I like reading about MUD development. I google for MUD development blogs with little result. Clearly what this world needs is a list of MUD development blogs. Anyone got some links?
02 Oct, 2010, Runter wrote in the 2nd comment:
Because mudding development and tradition predates the social network and blog culture. It should be no surprise the the mudding community isn't embracing modern standards. Of the blogs I know of they're really personal sites where the author happens to dev muds.
02 Oct, 2010, donky wrote in the 3rd comment:
Runter said:
Because mudding development and tradition predates the social network and blog culture. It should be no surprise the the mudding community isn't embracing modern standards. Of the blogs I know of they're really personal sites where the author happens to dev muds.

Well, there's no reason that the blogs still cannot be aggregated. There are labels, and the ability to aggregate entries for a given label on blogspot for instance.
02 Oct, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 4th comment:
You've obviously missed my favourite banner link! http://mudreading.com/ :) It's what lead me here, originally, actually.

Maya/Rudha
02 Oct, 2010, Runter wrote in the 5th comment:
Well, you asked why. Not can it be done. ;)
02 Oct, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 6th comment:
Mudreading could serve that purpose, though it currently doesn't filter by tag/label as far as I know. It also is a little different than a full feed blog planet site.

I learned about Yahoo Pipes recently, which is a nifty way of putting a planet site together.
02 Oct, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 7th comment:
Yeah, MudReading could be improved substantially, but at least its there :)

Maya/Rudha
02 Oct, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 8th comment:
What's a blog?
03 Oct, 2010, donky wrote in the 9th comment:
Rudha said:
You've obviously missed my favourite banner link! http://mudreading.com/ :) It's what lead me here, originally, actually.

Yeah, but everytime I visit that there's an abundance of muckbeast posts, none of which I find interesting or very relevant.
03 Oct, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 10th comment:
It would be nice if there was a way to filter those posts, yeah.

Maya/Rudha
03 Oct, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 11th comment:
Why not just grab the RSS feeds and stick them into a desktop feed aggregator?
03 Oct, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 12th comment:
That doesn't give those blogs and forums further search engine exposure, for one; for reading purposes this is kind of why people developed live bookmarks, though.

Maya/Rudha
03 Oct, 2010, donky wrote in the 13th comment:
David Haley said:
Why not just grab the RSS feeds and stick them into a desktop feed aggregator?

That's what I imagine most people who care about this do, David. But it lacks what one central public aggregator would have - visibility and exposure. As new MUD blogs are found by third parties, they might ask the aggregator to add them. And as people make a new MUD blog for themselves and are aware of the aggregator, they might ask the maintainers to add it.

As it stands now, there are likely many MUD development blogs that would be interesting reading for anyone who likes watching the development of the projects of others. But who would know?
03 Oct, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 14th comment:
I was just referring specifically to the filtering question brought up; if people are interested in reading they can do that better with their own aggregator. I agree that it does nothing with respect to giving sites exposure or awareness.
Then again, I am perhaps less optimistic than you donky w.r.t. the number of MUD development blogs out there; I'm just not convinced that there are all that many waiting to be found. I'd be interested in seeing them if there are, though.
03 Oct, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 15th comment:
MUD specific? I know of a fair few, though whether they're of merit is a whole other deal entirely, and most of them are specific to actual muds, usually dev blogs for those muds. You can still generally learn a thing or two.

But that's not to say that they're the only blogs a mud developer can benefit frm reading, however. RPG design blogs, and MMO blogs etc can also be useful.

Maya/Rudha
03 Oct, 2010, ATT_Turan wrote in the 16th comment:
Are you familiar with any well-written RPG design blogs?
04 Oct, 2010, donky wrote in the 17th comment:
Here's one for the aggregator when it gets made: Scionwest's MUD Designer blog tag (RSS).
04 Oct, 2010, donky wrote in the 18th comment:
Rudha said:
MUD specific? I know of a fair few, though whether they're of merit is a whole other deal entirely, and most of them are specific to actual muds, usually dev blogs for those muds. You can still generally learn a thing or two.

I think dev blogs for MUDs would be ideal, as long as they weren't announcement of features and had a depth of detail that would be of value for third party readers. Got any of those you can give links to?

Rudha said:
But that's not to say that they're the only blogs a mud developer can benefit frm reading, however. RPG design blogs, and MMO blogs etc can also be useful.

I agree, but these should be kept out of any MUD dev aggregator.
0.0/18