18 Aug, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
There's a general understanding of data structures that you'd need no matter what language you're writing in. Understanding concepts like containers, mappings, and so forth, is crucial for any interesting task. (A skill/combat system uses a bucket-load of data structures.)

It's hard to say if there's any particular Python-specific knowledge you would need. I think that the hard part here, really, is designing the system and the relevant data and data flows; the implementation is relatively simple as far as programming is concerned: there's just a fair bit of it to do. Perhaps you could say that it's the kind of programming that has a very high thought to line of code ratio.
18 Aug, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 22nd comment:
chrisd I used your poke code and it worked, well natually it would lol, thanks for that, that gives me a better understanding of how interaction works. All I did was make a poke.py in the pymodules folder and started up the mud and bingo works. What I would need to do now is have the "poke" command show up in the help. ;) How could I implement that?
With this knowledge I have my emotes taken care of

import mud, mudsys

def cmd_poke(ch, cmd, arg):
try:
tgt, = mud.parse_args(ch, True, cmd, arg, "ch.room.noself")
except:
return

mud.message(ch, tgt, None, None, True, "to_char", "You poke $N.")
mud.message(ch, tgt, None, None, True, "to_vict", "$n pokes you.")
mud.message(ch, tgt, None, None, True, "to_room", "$n pokes $N.")

tgt.act("say That smarts.")

mudsys.add_cmd("poke", None, cmd_poke, "player", False)
18 Aug, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 23rd comment:
Thanks for the info David, just have to play it by ear, but the understanding is slowly coming.
18 Aug, 2010, chrisd wrote in the 24th comment:
thaolen said:
What I would need to do now is have the "poke" command show up in the help. How could I implement that?

That's for me to know and you to find out. After all, you're not going to learn everything if other people give you all the answers. :wink:
18 Aug, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 25th comment:
Good point, somehow I'll look into the pymodules and maybe strike gold, but don't tell me I don't want to know lol Thanks for all help :)
18 Aug, 2010, chrisd wrote in the 26th comment:
I'll happily give you a hint, though: try using "help <command>" for a few of the commands written In python and then look at their code.
18 Aug, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 27th comment:
Actually in my ultimate wisdom (kidding), I overlooked help olc at the title of NakedMud, I think that is the hint, ha you can edit the socials in there, too easy I should have dug more, prob can change the help names there ;)

After I made the py for your poke code it works great and I messed around with it and made it more funny, humour is good.

I also used your code and made a rofl emote, kinda funny, I want to put colours for the person that said this and that, that is super easy I'll look that in the pymodules or something.

This is turning into a very long post lol I wonder what the limit is for the pages.
18 Aug, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 28th comment:
I actually hand-write my help in HEDIT. I dont like the idea of automatic documentation, I feel it tends to make people lazy.

For learning Nakedmud the real turning points are learning to program commands, learning to use AuxData, and getting a handle on Hooks and Events. Once you learn those you'll be well on your way to making a MUD!

Maya/Rudha
18 Aug, 2010, Davion wrote in the 29th comment:
thaolen said:
This is turning into a very long post lol I wonder what the limit is for the pages.

[post=36577]You're not even close ;)[/post]
18 Aug, 2010, Mudder wrote in the 30th comment:
Davion said:
thaolen said:

[post=36577]You're not even close ;)[/post]

That's one of my favorite threads. Thanks for reminding me! :biggrin:
18 Aug, 2010, Davion wrote in the 31st comment:
T'is a great thread! That is arguably the largest thread on the forums. The others are Averlyn's logs of the RAM meetings, and a post by HK, but it has -LOTS- of quotations. </derail>
18 Aug, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 32nd comment:
Here and I thought there might be more NakedMud discussion! I want more! Hehe. Nakedmud is a pretty underrated codebase, IMO. :)

Maya/Rudha
18 Aug, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 33rd comment:
So far I'm getting down the building of rooms, making doors and exits, and the fact that even the huge things like stats and spells, would really just be tied into n% variables, from what I can see there are many things in python code within the folders of NM that tell me what to actually type for code. :) Just waiting on a message from zeno for access to his host for testing for now, I think he is really busy.
20.0/33