29 Aug, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Scionwest said:
Hmm, I had subscribed to this page, but I guess it didn't save lol.

A lot of good replies from you all, quiet a bit of information.

How do you guys go about creating an EXP curve to generate the amount of EXP needed for each level? I know that doubling the EXP can be done, but that doesn't seem like the proper way to do things. That's in regards to having a pool of EXP.

That is a question that begs a lot of other questions, and can't really be sufficiently answered without having first decided on a few other design decisions. How are you gaining XP? What actions cause you to gain XP? Is it gained, or is it taken from some other pool? Is the amount of experience finite or infinite? Do NPCs gain and lose experience as well? How difficult do you want it to be for the character to advance a level? What are the benefits of gaining a level of experience?

That said, a lot of MUDs just take a number to start with that seems reasonable and do it a curve off that. Some of them are steeper than others. It all has to be balanced against how easy or difficult experience is to get, how much of it is out there, and what you get for gaining enough experience.

@Quix - this is exactly how my game is right now, with the caveat that I have skills that let a player refine those coarse readings to numbers.

Maya/Rudha
29 Aug, 2010, quixadhal wrote in the 22nd comment:
If you want a fun and amusing system to play around with, and see if your players love you or hate you, try this.

player.level += (random( MAX_LEVEL * 100 ) > ( player.level * 100 )) ? 1 : 0;

So, whenever a player kills anything (or does anything that would grant exp), don't bother tracking the exp.. just run that.

It's all about perception, right? :)

EDIT: typo, > works better. *grin*
29 Aug, 2010, chrisd wrote in the 23rd comment:
Scionwest said:
How do you guys go about creating an EXP curve to generate the amount of EXP needed for each level? I know that doubling the EXP can be done, but that doesn't seem like the proper way to do things. That's in regards to having a pool of EXP.

Here's something that I came across (it's apparently the Borderlands XP formula):
xp = int(60 * ((level ** 2.6) - 1)) + 1

I like it.

EDIT: Here's a chart.

Bigger version.
30 Aug, 2010, Scionwest wrote in the 24th comment:
chrisd said:
Scionwest said:

Here's something that I came across (it's apparently the Borderlands XP formula):
xp = int(60 * ((level ** 2.6) - 1)) + 1

I like it.

EDIT: Here's a chart.

Bigger version.

Nice!
30 Aug, 2010, Runter wrote in the 25th comment:
chance = min(0,target.level - level)
advance if random(ML) < chance
31 Aug, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 26th comment:
chance = min(0,target.level - level)

Max, perhaps? Otherwise, if the target's level is greater than yours, your chance is always zero, and if your level is greater, your chance is negative.
31 Aug, 2010, Runter wrote in the 27th comment:
Yeah. Max.
20.0/27