10 Jul, 2010, Mudder wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
<: 2010-07-10 13:45:03.190 : BOOT (db.c;boot_db,829)
: Allocating 1413120 bytes of static string space
<: 2010-07-10 13:45:03.190 : BOOT (db.c;boot_db,842)
: Seeding random number generator
<: 2010-07-10 13:45:03.190 : BOOT (db.c;boot_db,854)
: Updating game time and weather
<: 2010-07-10 13:45:03.190 : BOOT (db.c;boot_db,901)
: Loading areas…
<: 2010-07-10 13:45:03.190 : FATAL (comm.c;proper_exit,1801)
: ../area/area.lst: No such file or directory

I'm completely at a loss. The same program works in Windows with cygwin. Yet when I run it on a Linux system through netbeans I always get this error. I am running the executable file from the area folder (as is normal). The file area.lst IS there.

I tried running it without netbeans by using the terminal but I couldn't get it to run. Not sure what the command is, when I do it in windows I just type ram.exe and it works.
10 Jul, 2010, Tonitrus wrote in the 2nd comment:
If you're used to Windows and you're on a Linux file system, you might be having trouble with case. On Windows (and windows file systems), AREA.LST is the same file as area.lst, whereas on Linux, they're not. Same with directories, etc. I'm a bit confused as to how you're running the executable without knowing where it is, but try find . -name ram in the directory to locate the file. Then go to the directory and use ./ram to run it. On Linux, the current directory isn't included in the path, so just typing "ram", even if you're in the same directory, won't run it.

(Since you mentioned being new to Linux recently, I'm assuming you don't know this stuff.)

[edit: The case thing would only happen if you copied your code off of a different filesystem, though. Also, have you tried just unpacking/building/running it outside of an IDE?]
10 Jul, 2010, Runter wrote in the 3rd comment:
There's probably a startup script in area folder or you may need to run the executable from the area directory as well.

../src/ram
10 Jul, 2010, Mudder wrote in the 4th comment:
Well I have it working in the terminal, just not netbeans.

I knew where the executable was but I did not know the command to start it (./) thanks! :)
10 Jul, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 5th comment:
Mudder said:
I'm completely at a loss. The same program works in Windows with cygwin. Yet when I run it on a Linux system through netbeans I always get this error. I am running the executable file from the area folder (as is normal). The file area.lst IS there.

I tried running it without netbeans by using the terminal but I couldn't get it to run. Not sure what the command is, when I do it in windows I just type ram.exe and it works.

Your current working directory is wrong. Apparently it must be set to somewhere relative to "../area".
I wouldn't run a mud server from inside an IDE myself
…and besides there's probably some environmental setup in the bash script.
10 Jul, 2010, Mudder wrote in the 6th comment:
It would have just been useful for quick tests, or also has an integration with gdb. Just made things easier. Not a necessity, though.
30 Jul, 2010, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 7th comment:
I had the same problem, for some reason I did not care enough to inquire, inside the ide I use (Eclipse), it needs the areas where the executable is (the binary folder) but only on Windows. I think it is the relative path folder that is not handled by Cygwin.
30 Jul, 2010, Brinson wrote in the 8th comment:
The most common cause of problems like this I've found it that IDEs launch the executable directly, whereas its meant to be ran through a startup script in a different folder.
0.0/8