10 May, 2010, Davion wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Koron said:
I love you people so much.

On a related note, is it common to have soft-coded classes? How would this work? Can you have a mud with classes that don't exist in the "source code" (whatever that is)?

From a ROM perspective, here's how it would work:

[link=paste]8504[/link]
11 May, 2010, Runter wrote in the 22nd comment:
Koron said:
I love you people so much.

On a related note, is it common to have soft-coded classes? How would this work? Can you have a mud with classes that don't exist in the "source code" (whatever that is)?

I'm sure the very same question was asked when someone proposed developing an OLC for anything.

But to answer your question, the classes on many muds in the source appear on a table which is an array. There's no reason this array couldn't be populated from a file at boot up each time instead of from direct constructor. I.e soft-coded vs hard-coded. This would then open the door to doing operations online like adding additional class definitions or removing selectively old classes. It would also let you tweak the values.

The short answer is soft coded and hard coded stuff have little difference functionally and the data still exists both ways. The only question is initially how is the data obtained. From an external source, or constructed from data that never changes unless directly editing the source? That last part is actually a little tricky, too. Some languages wouldn't have any problem with letting you selectively edit part of the source from inside of the mud just like you would a data file. Then that definition of "soft" vs "hard" gets unclear.
11 May, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 23rd comment:
Wow, are people just not noticing that that's Koron posting? I'm a little surprised the sarcasometer isn't in the red zone… :thinking:
11 May, 2010, Runter wrote in the 24th comment:
David Haley said:
Wow, are people just not noticing that that's Koron posting? I'm a little surprised the sarcasometer isn't in the red zone… :thinking:

lawl, that's what I get for not really reading all of what he said or recognizing which thread this was. :)
11 May, 2010, Mudder wrote in the 25th comment:
Lol. I thought it was the original poster too.
20.0/25