04 May, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 61st comment:
Votes: 0
One wonders how long a poor joke can go on before being flogged to death. At least you guys are "learning" other people about silly inventories.
04 May, 2010, quixadhal wrote in the 62nd comment:
One of the most amusing things my old Diku had was equipment damage. Your gear is damaged from use, but the contents of your inventory can also be damaged by certain things. For example, if you get caught in a fireball, any cloth or paper items in your inventory have a chance of being burned to cinders.

I like the idea of applying weight to your containers though. Very nice idea. It opens up a market for protective container crafting, since you might want that potion of gain level to survive until you're high enough to really make use of it. :)

I also think weight/volume need to play a part. It makes no sense to carry around a small rickshaw's worth of gear in a "backpack". You should either cart stuff to a house/bank/etc, or hire a wagon (with driver and guards) to follow you around and haul your crap. :)
04 May, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 63rd comment:
Scandum said:
It's also important to implement that containers can get damaged in combat and spill their content, not to mention that no one in their right mind would stuff something sharp into a container.

Once these changes are implemented the average player won't be carrying enough trash around to require unique ID numbers. Problem solved.

Right. The only proper container for a sword is a scabbard. And then you can put them safely into another container. But leaking and ripped containers are also a good idea.

David Haley said:
One wonders how long a poor joke can go on before being flogged to death. At least you guys are "learning" other people about silly inventories.

Dungeon delving is dangerous work and is no joke. Failing to observe the logistics of supply, equipment maintenance, packing, tools, rope, medical equipment, food and light sources, your heavily armored idiot with 40 sacks, 3 pole arms, 34 potions, 6 bows, 45 swords is the joke. A liability. The walking dead.
04 May, 2010, Scandum wrote in the 64th comment:
Seconded, MUDs could be the bleeding edge in immersive gaming, instead we barely scratch the surface.

The biggest problem is that there's no true collaboration. The trick is to setup a system that 1) is open source 2) is easy to contribute to 3) doesn't result in countless spawns 4) has a fool proof conflict resolution system 5) separates the workers from the useless talkers 6) doesn't fall pray to stagnation. Wikipedia comes to mind as an example.
05 May, 2010, Runter wrote in the 65th comment:
5) separates the workers from the useless talkers

Lawl.
05 May, 2010, Runter wrote in the 66th comment:
Tyche said:
Dungeon delving is dangerous work and is no joke. Failing to observe the logistics of supply, equipment maintenance, packing, tools, rope, medical equipment, food and light sources, your heavily armored idiot with 40 sacks, 3 pole arms, 34 potions, 6 bows, 45 swords is the joke. A liability. The walking dead.

I think your musing brings up some serious points. I think they're points lost on a lot of people who aren't going to model these things that complexly. Those people probably aren't going to find solace in this revelation that if their game played differently ambiguity wouldn't be as common.
05 May, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 67th comment:
Runter said:
I think your musing brings up some serious points. I think they're points lost on a lot of people who aren't going to model these things that complexly. Those people probably aren't going to find solace in this revelation that if their game played differently ambiguity wouldn't be as common.

Well we went on a bit of side track, but I really don't like the idea of exposing oids/guids to players. It's not an immersion or an anti-scripting thing for me. It just feels wrong to me to go out of one's way to both cater to scripting and expose this information to players. Another way to get rid of ambiguity (for power-users I presume) is to implement a user nickname or aliasing system. I don't like forcing unique character names either. I've found it annoying to log into games and having to pick names that haven't been used yet.
05 May, 2010, Runter wrote in the 68th comment:
Tyche said:
Runter said:

Well we went on a bit of side track, but I really don't like the idea of exposing oids/guids to players. It's not an immersion or an anti-scripting thing for me. It just feels wrong to me to go out of one's way to both cater to scripting and expose this information to players. Another way to get rid of ambiguity (for power-users I presume) is to implement a user nickname or aliasing system. I don't like forcing unique character names either. I've found it annoying to log into games and having to pick names that haven't been used yet.

Well, I do agree with you there. UID's may solve a problem, but they're really not acceptable for me unless there's just no better way.
06 May, 2010, Newt wrote in the 69th comment:
Tyche said:
I don't like forcing unique character names either. I've found it annoying to log into games and having to pick names that haven't been used yet.

This is interesting…how do you handle tells, give, etc with multiple players with the same name?
06 May, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 70th comment:
Newt said:
This is interesting…how do you handle tells, give, etc with multiple players with the same name?

Characters are treated just like objects.
06 May, 2010, flumpy wrote in the 71st comment:
… And do you request disambiguation?

E.g

>Tell flumpy shut the f up
Did you mean flumpy 000ac1 or flumpy cfff23?

Hmnh
06 May, 2010, Runter wrote in the 72nd comment:
flumpy said:
… And do you request disambiguation?

E.g

>Tell flumpy shut the f up
Did you mean flumpy 000ac1 or flumpy cfff23?

Hmnh

Tell flumpy "flumps" mcgee Hello!
60.0/72