17 Apr, 2010, Kline wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Ok, so I finally feel like re-investigating this issue and thought I'd turn here for advice. If I disconnect and go linkdead then the game segfaults after about 15-20 seconds. No core dump. If I attach GDB or run within GDB, this error never occurs and the game keeps running without issue.

Where would be the best place to start finding this error when I can't reproduce it within a debugger?
17 Apr, 2010, Davion wrote in the 2nd comment:
If it segfaults and isn't dumping a core, you need to make it. Is your ulimit on core dump sufficient? If you've tried everything and simply can't get it to dump a core, install a singal handler to catch the crash and explicitly call abort() which will core dump
17 Apr, 2010, Kline wrote in the 3rd comment:
I guess I'll be going via a sig handler and see what I can get; I've still never solved the problem in regards to my ulimit below, as I have another game that dumps cores but they are always truncated due to size limits.

[link=post]13412[/link]
17 Apr, 2010, Kline wrote in the 4th comment:
Sat Apr 17 18:11:00 2010 :: Closing link to Kline.
Sat Apr 17 18:11:55 2010 :: [*****] BUG: Sig handler SIGSEGV

No core.
ulimit -c
ulimit -c 32768
-bash: ulimit: core file size: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted

Ran as root and got it to dump; working on things now…Still wish I could figure out the above, though :P
17 Apr, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 5th comment:
Kline said:
Sat Apr 17 18:11:00 2010 :: Closing link to Kline.
Sat Apr 17 18:11:55 2010 :: [*****] BUG: Sig handler SIGSEGV

No core.
ulimit -c
ulimit -c 32768
-bash: ulimit: core file size: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted

Ran as root and got it to dump; working on things now…Still wish I could figure out the above, though :P

You are perhaps in a virtualized OS? Some of them operate in the manner of
a BSD chroot jail and don't permit some operations like this. Can you set the
system date, for example?

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
17 Apr, 2010, Kline wrote in the 6th comment:
No, it's a real install of Debian on my old home server sitting in the basement. Latest packages from the testing branch, but I've had the ulimit issue for ages now and just stopped bothering with it.
17 Apr, 2010, Asylumius wrote in the 7th comment:
Try setting it in /etc/security/limits.conf and see if that works.
17 Apr, 2010, Kline wrote in the 8th comment:
Tried that; tried setting explicit amounts and unlimited. Re-logged into the shell after each.
17 Apr, 2010, Davion wrote in the 9th comment:
Kline said:

Wanna post some of the gdb backtraces so we can see? Also, what happens 55seconds after a user drops link? Is there a purge-on-tick type deal? Looks like it's the following tick things go boom.
17 Apr, 2010, Kline wrote in the 10th comment:
Oh I solved the crash issue. It was related to code I put in to fix a bug of saving half-complete characters during login; just had to add some extra checks to it. The ulimit issue, though, remains.
0.0/10