18 Apr, 2010, Kline wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
If you don't want public comments and scrutiny, you shouldn't post in a public forum.
18 Apr, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 22nd comment:
Darien said:
The point is, everytime someone posts like this, the community at large seems to go off like this for no apparent reason. Its why we are losing too many people from the community. Its because of the retarded actions of the flamebots that troll these sites. God, its why I left. Oh BTW. Mudding is dead because of this crap.

You are being remarkably hostile and insulting to several people whose advice was given in good faith. I daresay that you are "reverse-flaming" here, and not making a terribly productive comment either.
18 Apr, 2010, Omega wrote in the 23rd comment:
Yes david, I concur with your assessment of my comments. However, I made them as a point, knowing full well that they weren't the best statements to be making, but the point however, is nontheless an accurate one. Everytime I log into this site, someone (or groups of someones) are doing nothing more then slaming a person for one thing or another. I just want everyone to take a step back and look, the mudding community is dwindling down, sure, there are more and more muds out there, but if everyone's running a mud, who's gunna play it? People are starting muds to avoid problems they've had with other muds, or they just want to start something new. The last thing they need, is to be ganged up on, just for asking a simple question for help.

If your not interested in helping without knowing the details, then simply don't respond. If you are intrigued by the prospect of a new mud, simple pm the guy and ask him what its all about, if he still says 'its a secret' and doesn't want to tell anything, then you know its most likely not going to go anywhere. Elsewise, you may be surprised. In anycase, people leave this community daily because they are tired of seeing this stuff. I left for personal reasons, I didn't come back because of all this stuff. I post every now and then just to make appearances, but finaly I've seen enough, even though this wasn't a 'bad' series of messages or what-not, it still irked me over the line, and just reinforced why I didn't come back in the first place. Someone seeking help should never be flamed or spazed at for asking, just because the content isn't what 'you' want it to be when asking for help.
18 Apr, 2010, Kline wrote in the 24th comment:
References, please. Many people seem to take a hostile attitude to the initial barrage of posts that are simply asking for more information, or crafted to help create a better advert in the first place.

Darien said:
In anycase, people leave this community daily because they are tired of seeing this stuff.

Darien said:
Someone seeking help should never be flamed or spazed at for asking, just because the content isn't what 'you' want it to be when asking for help.
18 Apr, 2010, Runter wrote in the 25th comment:
Lawl. The only people I see doing any flaming are the people responding to others asking for more information on the project.

If your not interested in helping without knowing the details, then simply don't respond.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll just respond any time I feel like it.
18 Apr, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 26th comment:
Darien said:
I have found over the many years I've been in the mudding community, that people who are secretive, often don't want to put their plans to the public for fear of retribution from the mudding community.

I don't think I've ever encountered someone like that. In every case that I can recall seeing someone acting secretive about their mud design, it's because they think they're going to revolutionise muds, and they're worried that someone else will "steal" their idea.

The best thing that can happen to a recruitment thread like this is for people to reply - because it gives the original poster the opportunity to elaborate (giving him/her the chance to provide details that may interest readers who would otherwise have skipped the thread), keeps the thread on the front page for longer (increasing the chances of potential staff reading it), and gives people the opportunity to see how the original poster responds to suggestions and feedback (this is well worth knowing before you start working with/for the individual).
18 Apr, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 27th comment:
I agree with Runter: the person being the most hostile here is the person complaining the most about people being hostile.

Darien, perhaps you have become, for whatever reason, so cynical that your perception is so colored as to only possibly see "flames". Maybe you should take a step back and try to see these things in a different light. All that you've said here has been vague generalities about people ganging up on him and "flaming"; do you have any specific examples?

Maybe you're just taking out your rather apparent bitterness and unhappiness on the people in this thread, simply because it pushed some button for you. In that case, please realize that you are being rather unfair to people who, as I said, were trying to help in good faith.

EDIT: re KaVir's post while I was posting:
The best thing that can happen to a recruitment thread like this is for people to reply - because it gives the original poster the opportunity to elaborate (giving him/her the chance to provide details that may interest readers who would otherwise have skipped the thread), keeps the thread on the front page for longer (increasing the chances of potential staff reading it), and gives people the opportunity to see how the original poster responds to suggestions and feedback (this is well worth knowing before you start working with/for the individual).

I strongly agree with these three points.
18 Apr, 2010, flumpy wrote in the 28th comment:
I, for example, have a magnificent idea.

It will revolutionize muds as we know it.

I won't tell you lot tho, cause you'll think I'm full of shit.

lawl
19 Apr, 2010, Lyanic wrote in the 29th comment:
flumpy said:
Lyanic said:
Runter said:
- I am unwilling to announce particular public details on the project at this moment.

Good luck on project X.

Don't you just love how everyone with the next great idea, really believes it's "the next great idea" and everyone else is out to steal it? Seriously, what's up with the secrecy on all these fantabulous new projects?

All these? I don't see that many…

You've been overlooking them then. It seems like every "new project, looking for staff" post on MUDBytes in the past year has been sorely lacking on details. This isn't even the first time it's been pointed out. Or the first time there's been an uproar over it…

KaVir said:
Darien said:
I have found over the many years I've been in the mudding community, that people who are secretive, often don't want to put their plans to the public for fear of retribution from the mudding community.

I don't think I've ever encountered someone like that. In every case that I can recall seeing someone acting secretive about their mud design, it's because they think they're going to revolutionise muds, and they're worried that someone else will "steal" their idea.

This was exactly my point, and it's also based on my experience with people in the community over the past twelve years. Almost every person I've ever spoken to who was planning some new MUD project has been convinced that it was based on some amazing and completely original core idea that would quickly be snatched up by every other MUD developer and incorporated into their games if their many spies got word of it. Yes, I'm exaggerating a tiny bit - but not much. I actually used to be the same way. I've even had cases where people have logged onto my MUD and admitted to just being on to "steal ideas". Do you know what I do in that situation? Nothing. I've come to realize that every "original" idea I've ever had has been done before in some form. Every idea has been done before in some form. The differences just lie in which combination of ideas are put together, and how well they're executed.

Darien said:
I guess what I am trying to say is, if you don't have something positive to say, then you should keep your perverbial mouth shut and leave the guy be.

Despite the fact that the post from which this excerpt was extracted seemed to be a direct response to my previous post, I'm going to assume it was more of a "lashing out" over built-up angst from prior posts and let it slide - instead of, ya know, lashing back. Still, I have a point to make with regard to this. Have you ever heard of constructive criticism? Sometimes it's not always possible to respond to something in a "positive" manner, even when you're trying to help. It seems like you're saying that people here should be forbidden from responding if they're not going to post rosey compliments. And what was your response? Was it positive? Should you be forbidden from responding negatively to things you find fault with (like this case)? Also, see the following:

Kline said:
If you don't want public comments and scrutiny, you shouldn't post in a public forum.

And…

Runter said:
Darien said:
If your not interested in helping without knowing the details, then simply don't respond.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll just respond any time I feel like it.

This.
19 Apr, 2010, Koron wrote in the 30th comment:
Or the first time there's been an uproar over it…

Funny how the uproar seems to be more over the gall some people have to suggest that a new admin will draw more interest in his or her project if he or she actually provides some details to excite people enough into wanting to help with it.

… Oh wait. I guess funny isn't really the best word for it.
19 Apr, 2010, Runter wrote in the 31st comment:
Koron said:
Or the first time there's been an uproar over it…

Funny how the uproar seems to be more over the gall some people have to suggest that a new admin will draw more interest in his or her project if he or she actually provides some details to excite people enough into wanting to help with it.

… Oh wait. I guess funny isn't really the best word for it.

Trollin'.
19 Apr, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 32nd comment:
I've got an idea that will revolutionize this forum:
You know how many threads get derailed? Think of a bar or pub where a bunch of friends like to hang.
Some guy says something either stupid, or insensitive, the other guy (or girl) gets upset and says
"HEY, LETS TAKE THIS OUTSIDE!"

While they are beating each other out in the streets, the pub is still a sociable place to relax.
So, if someones an ass, just say, ok, let's spawn an argument thread that members can join in on,
or NOT if they are only interested in helping / being helped by useful threads.
19 Apr, 2010, Runter wrote in the 33rd comment:
JohnnyStarr said:
I've got an idea that will revolutionize this forum:
You know how many threads get derailed? Think of a bar or pub where a bunch of friends like to hang.
Some guy says something either stupid, or insensitive, the other guy (or girl) gets upset and says
"HEY, LETS TAKE THIS OUTSIDE!"

While they are beating each other out in the streets, the pub is still a sociable place to relax.
So, if someones an ass, just say, ok, let's spawn an argument thread that members can join in on,
or NOT if they are only interested in helping / being helped by useful threads.

Trollin'
19 Apr, 2010, 3squire wrote in the 34th comment:
Lyanic said:
[…] and how well they're executed.

This. WoW is not original.
19 Apr, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 35th comment:
Runter said:
Trollin'

Trollin'
19 Apr, 2010, Baiou wrote in the 36th comment:
Is there only one right way to do something? If so, whose way is it? Yours, his, or hers?
20 Apr, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 37th comment:
Baiou said:
Is there only one right way to do something? If so, whose way is it? Yours, his, or hers?

Funny you should ask that.

Everybody tells me there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Nobody ever tells me the other ways.

You've been given good advice. Study on it.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
20 Apr, 2010, Baiou wrote in the 38th comment:
I will take the constructive criticism to mind.
21 Apr, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 39th comment:
Cratylus said:
Everybody tells me there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Nobody ever tells me the other ways.

Cat skinning
I found several more but aside from minor details, they all agree on the same initial incision.
It's the same for Dalmatian puppies.

Edit: Link Removed - Dean
21 Apr, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 40th comment:
That's kind of disgusting…
20.0/62