31 Mar, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
David Haley said:
it's possible that the client dev you're referring to might come around given enough time and persuasion

"That was joke. Ha ha. Fat chance."
–GLaDOS
31 Mar, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 22nd comment:
David Haley said:
It's possible that we're still in the grandstanding phase: it's possible that the client dev you're referring to might come around given enough time and persuasion. (Then again, maybe not.)

Maybe, maybe not, but at least we've got the chance of putting forward our views. He's not the only client developer, and only a minority of my players use his products, so I'm not going to be overly concerned unless he persuades other client developers to follow his line of reasoning. And as Crat pointed out, it's clear that his field of expertise lies purely in client development, so I can't see him putting forward any particularly convincing arguments to back up his view.
31 Mar, 2010, Kaz wrote in the 23rd comment:
Tyche said:
Well the Wiki lists five protocols, two of which are known to be broken, MXP and MSP.

I never really did understand why it the developers of these protocols insisted on having line-based text hooks like "!!" and so on when they're already using a character-based protocol (that would be Telnet) to activate it, which already has a mechanism for sending subnegotiations at any time. They're completely unusable for servers that don't do line mode.
31 Mar, 2010, Scandum wrote in the 24th comment:
The telnet negotiations for MSP and MXP were added afterwards, they're kind of pointless as they ought to be in game configurations as someone with an MXP or MSP capable client might not be the least bit interested.

What dev are you guys talking about? I can't be bothered reading everything that's going on there.

Not to mention there are too many people with no practical experience acting like there are 20 hot girls on the side line ready to have sex with the most awesome poster.
31 Mar, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 25th comment:
Scandum said:
The telnet negotiations for MSP and MXP were added afterwards, they're kind of pointless as they ought to be in game configurations as someone with an MXP or MSP capable client might not be the least bit interested.

The telnet negotiations for MXP are in fact useful, as they can be used to log in to the game before you, well, are logged in to have configuration information available. You might use MSP to play sounds during the login process as well, again before configuration is available.

Scandum said:
Not to mention there are too many people with no practical experience acting like there are 20 hot girls on the side line ready to have sex with the most awesome poster.

You certainly have a knack for making constructive comments.
01 Apr, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 26th comment:
Scandum said:
What dev are you guys talking about? I can't be bothered reading everything that's going on there.

He must be talking about the Zmud guy. Or Cmud, or whatever it is.

I for one appreciate your summary of the discussion, since I'm not going to read the forum.
01 Apr, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 27th comment:
Idealiad said:
I for one appreciate your summary of the discussion, since I'm not going to read the forum.

I'm not sure if you meant this as a joke, but allow me to offer the alternate view that Scandum's "summary" might not be the most, well, accurate. There is a lot of posting and traffic is so high as to be difficult to manage, but certainly there are many people with plenty of practical experience and there is certainly no contest to post the most or any similar utterly ridiculous notion of the sort.

Perhaps Scandum was put off because people kept talking about "major clients" without ever referring to tt++. :wink:
01 Apr, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 28th comment:
Idealiad said:

Why not?
01 Apr, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 29th comment:
I don't think I have much to add, and I already spend too much time reading diverting things.

edit: also, I feel that my general perspective would be represented well enough by the people from MB who seemed like they were reading the forum.
01 Apr, 2010, Scandum wrote in the 30th comment:
Idealiad said:

I must add that there are some cool people there, like me, but we're few and far between. I got Zugg to confess how much $ he makes (about 60K a year) and Nick to mention tintin++ - though admittedly he only wrote it as 'Tintin' - possibly to sound old school, though I doubt anyone will ever be able to get that Australian accent out of their mind after watching his youtube video.
01 Apr, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 31st comment:
Kaz said:
I never really did understand why it the developers of these protocols insisted on having line-based text hooks like "!!" and so on when they're already using a character-based protocol (that would be Telnet) to activate it, which already has a mechanism for sending subnegotiations at any time. They're completely unusable for servers that don't do line mode.

Agreed. But if most mud servers and most mud clients are for the most part teletype devices rather than network virtual terminals then you can see why it ended up that way. It gets even more ridiculous when you consider the backward flips and hops taken to write anti-spoofing code for various in-line protocols.
20.0/31