28 Mar, 2010, flumpy wrote in the 161st comment:
Votes: 0
David Haley said:
Do you not agree that it can come across even as a tiny bit patronizing that you are basing this on the assumption that his failure to agree is solely due to his failure to understand?

Possibly, but only because in this medium understanding is a hard thing to assess, and it can be difficult to ascertain if he truly Does Not Understand or is just being argumentative for the sake of it.
28 Mar, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 162nd comment:
donky said:
I would be interested in any summary you might provide about what you found out in this thread that was useful and interesting.

See post #138: "I think it's fair to simply disagree with such claims, while still questioning them some more just in case there is some additional insight to be had." Also see Deimos's post #160. Getting people to expound (usefully) on their claims, even if you disagree with them, can help make sure that you aren't missing something. You of all people should be familiar with this. :wink:
That said I think we've pretty much reached the point where this isn't much more useful expounding of claims going on.

flumpy said:
Possibly, but only because in this medium understanding is a hard thing to assess, and it can be difficult to ascertain if he truly Does Not Understand or is just being argumentative for the sake of it.

I don't think that these are the only two options, but, well, eh.
28 Mar, 2010, shasarak wrote in the 163rd comment:
Deimos, let me recommend you a couple of books.

1) "Refactoring" by Martin Fowler (amazon.com link: click here).

2) "Applying UML and Patterns" by Craig Larman (amazon.com link: click here).

Both are somewhat belied by their titles: Fowler's book is a superb guide to writing OO code (and not merely to rewriting it) and Larman's isn't really about UML, it's much more about OO design issues, including how to arrange your software into classes.

Of all of the books I've read on OO coding and design, those two are (IMO) the best.
160.0/163