08 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
It's a shame that tintin++ has enough issues elsewhere that it's a kind of annoying client to use. :sad: Example annoyances are its arcane scripting, somewhat odd syntax, inability to or non-obvious-method to modify the behavior of ";", non-handling of Unicode, …

EDIT: ninja by Kayle on unicode.
08 Dec, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 42nd comment:
So, provided you support character mode properly (IE: via TELNET), how hard do you think it'd be to allocate a pty and actually do full terminal support? Last time I looked into it, curses was a bit of a PITA for a non-threaded server, as it used a bunch of global state variables.
08 Dec, 2009, Kline wrote in the 43rd comment:
Wow, this thread took off while I was at work! :D

re: Buildwalk. It's in AckFUSS as a per-user toggle. It just pulls the next sequential vnum for the area range and links it automatically to the current room in whatever direction you walk. I have no plans to add "intelligent" linking to adjacent rooms because I think it would cause more hassle than help when trying to create something like parallel hallways or similar. Just grab any AckFUSS source > 4.3.8 probably and grep for autodig; it's not hard to create at all, I just never packaged it as a snippet.
08 Dec, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 44th comment:
Kayle said:
Too bad tintin++ apparently has issues with displaying extended characters such as etc. One of my builders reported that my title didn't display properly in her tintin++.

[Edit:] Heh. Helps if I include my title.
Nibelungen () Kayle ()

It's an issue with the terminal / font she uses, not with tintin++.

David Haley said:
It's a shame that tintin++ has enough issues elsewhere that it's a kind of annoying client to use. :sad: Example annoyances are its arcane scripting, somewhat odd syntax, inability to or non-obvious-method to modify the behavior of ";", non-handling of Unicode, …

Many people use tintin because of its arcane scripting, which makes life easy unless you want to do low level stuff, in which case there's always the #script command to call Lua or any other installed scripting language through the shell.

";" is pretty universal, but you can use: #config verbatim on, to have tintin ignore leading spaces, semicolons and backslashes in traditional user input.

Unicode works fine if it's handled by the terminal.

As a side note, tintin uses plain text vnum based mapping files, so it's possible to save your mud world as a tintin map using about 20 lines of C code. This for admins who don't want to go through the trouble of writing an internal mapper.
08 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 45th comment:
Many people use tintin because of its arcane scripting, which makes life easy unless you want to do low level stuff, in which case there's always the #script command to call Lua or any other installed scripting language through the shell.

Perhaps. Then again people are willing to go through pain if it's the only option on the market. Nonetheless I find its syntax to be confusing and hard to get used to, in part because it's rather non-standard.

";" is pretty universal, but you can use: #config verbatim on, to have tintin ignore leading spaces, semicolons and backslashes in traditional user input.

I'd rather have ";" be a configurable option (as it is in many other clients). I don't want everything to be verbatim; I just don't want semi-colons to have this behavior and it's annoying to have to keep escaping them.

Unicode works fine if it's handled by the terminal.

My terminal handles unicode perfectly. It could be an issue with characters over IMC.
09 Dec, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 46th comment:
David Haley said:
Perhaps. Then again people are willing to go through pain if it's the only option on the market. Nonetheless I find its syntax to be confusing and hard to get used to, in part because it's rather non-standard.

Tinyfugue is probably a bigger pain, hard to say. I might make a Lua enabled build one day as it's too much trouble developing a custom scripting engine.

I'd rather have ";" be a configurable option (as it is in many other clients). I don't want everything to be verbatim; I just don't want semi-colons to have this behavior and it's annoying to have to keep escaping them.

Verbatim mode only works on manual user input that is 1) not an alias 2) not a tintin command. I'll make it so that you can set the command separator in tintin.h cause I've had this request before.
40.0/46