11 Nov, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Barm said:
Timely post, I was just watching the video.

I hope it catches on. C++ is like a stepping stone covered in glue – we've been stuck there for way too long as dynamic languages lap it in features, productivity, and especially not-being-a-churning-rat-nest-ness. A few days ago, I was reading a guy's blog post about the state of the D programming language and it left me wondering if it was even possible to launch a new language today without an open-source reference compiler that allows adopters to port and play (something D stumbles on). I'm not talking about the next Visual Fred targeting wall gardens, but a real, cross-platform language that is embraced by the collaboration age.

Google gets this and open-sourcing the compiler is a savvy move.

Thanks for the link; it's a rather interesting video.
24 Nov, 2009, jurdendurden wrote in the 22nd comment:
Dude, mapping of strings to integers seems REALLY cool and time saving. No more functions to return the string in a table linked to an integer. Just MAP that string… swweeeeeet.
24 Nov, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 23rd comment:
I looked at the Go spec a few weeks ago so it's no longer fresh in my mind, but is this any different from any language's ability to have a container that maps strings to integers (and vice-versa)? E.g., C++ has the STL's std::map that can map from type1 to type2.
24 Nov, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 24th comment:
I didn't realize that Ken Thompson co-wrote Go. That's pretty cool.
20.0/24