03 Nov, 2009, Impacatus wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I was just thinking, it might be more of a novelty than anything else, but it might be accessible from some places where regular clients aren't available.

I would think it would have to be something specially written to allow for the limited output options. It may be difficult to run a traditional MUD, but a simple strategy game might be possible.

Would this be allowed by the companies that run the networks? I know there are a lot of chatbots on AIM, but would they allow something like this? What about the other networks?
04 Nov, 2009, Zen_Clark wrote in the 2nd comment:
There is actually a Python bot that acts as a telnet gateway through the Jabber (XMPP) service.
http://www.rampa.sk/static/jabbertelnetb...

It works pretty well, though it is a bit buggy.
04 Nov, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 3rd comment:
I had a post about Wave and M**s just recently.
04 Nov, 2009, Impacatus wrote in the 4th comment:
Zen_Clark said:
There is actually a Python bot that acts as a telnet gateway through the Jabber (XMPP) service.
http://www.rampa.sk/static/jabbertelnetb...

It works pretty well, though it is a bit buggy.

Interesting. Is there a running example up somewhere I could check out?

I had a post about Wave and M**s just recently.

That looks like it has some possibilities too.
04 Nov, 2009, Barm wrote in the 5th comment:
I was toying with the idea of adding a Jabber server to my project and picked up a couple of used books from Amazon but I haven't dug into them yet. I don't see why it wouldn't work for a mud except for the lack of formatting, color, and limited walls-o-text.
04 Nov, 2009, Impacatus wrote in the 6th comment:
Barm said:
I was toying with the idea of adding a Jabber server to my project and picked up a couple of used books from Amazon but I haven't dug into them yet. I don't see why it wouldn't work for a mud except for the lack of formatting, color, and limited walls-o-text.

The only thing I could think of is if the people who run the IM services would shut it down. I'm not too clear on how these work on the technical side, so I don't know if they'd have any grounds to do so, but if it's using their resources somehow, they might not like it.
04 Nov, 2009, Barm wrote in the 7th comment:
Impacatus said:
The only thing I could think of is if the people who run the IM services would shut it down. I'm not too clear on how these work on the technical side, so I don't know if they'd have any grounds to do so, but if it's using their resources somehow, they might not like it.

If I do it, I'll write my own server so anyone with a client that supports XMPP (Pidgin, Trillian, etc) could connect and play.
05 Nov, 2009, Impacatus wrote in the 8th comment:
Makes sense. Does anyone know how these things work? Do they run through a central server or not?
0.0/8