10 Dec, 2006, cbunting wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
If the upload is allowed, I've included both files that I had on disk to allow autodigging from OLC. I knew this had been written along time ago but didn't know exactly where the files were. They are for Rom but can be converted for other olc editors.

0 AUTODIG~
Autodig is a function added for easy area creation and mapping.

How to use:
First, Autodig must be enabled. When it is, in redit,
you can simply move in any direction and it creates and digs
to the next unused vnum in the area.
10 Dec, 2006, Testicle wrote in the 42nd comment:
Here's a version of dig that digs a large "grid" using the available vnums:

if ( !str_cmp( arg1, "grid" ) ) {
if ( is_number( arg2 ) )
{
value = atol( arg2 );
if ( value < 0 || value > 100 ) { ptransmit( "Invalid grid size, should be 0-100.\r\n", ch ); return; }

if ( !IS_BUILDER( ch, pZone ) )
{
ptransmit( "Cannot dig a scene in a zone of which you are not a builder.\r\n", ch ); return;
}

{ long x,y,created=0;
long grid[value*value];
SCENE_INDEX_DATA *g_scene;

for ( x=0; x < value; x++ )
for ( y=0; y < value; y++ ) {
char buf[MAX_INPUT_LENGTH];
grid[x+y*value] = first_available_scene_vnum( pZone );
if ( grid[x+y*value] < 0 ) continue;
sprintf( buf, "screate %ld", grid[x+y*value] );
redit( ch, buf );
g_scene = get_scene_index( grid[x+y*value] ); // Set terrain info
if ( !g_scene ) continue;
g_scene->sector_type = pScene->sector_type;
g_scene->scene_flags = pScene->scene_flags;
g_scene->template = pScene->vnum;
g_scene->name = str_dup( pScene->name );
};

// Connect grid
for ( x=0; x < value; x++ )
for ( y=0; y < value; y++ ) {
long dir;
g_scene = get_scene_index( grid[x+y*value] );
if ( !g_scene ) continue;
// Connect to grid, set terrain type.
created++;
for ( dir =0; dir<MAX_DIR; dir++ ) {
char rbuf[50];
long to_xy=(x+dir_grid_x[dir])+(y+dir_grid_y[dir])*value;
if ( dir==DIR_UP || dir==DIR_DOWN || to_xy < 0 || to_xy >= value*value ) continue;
sprintf( rbuf, "%ld", grid[to_xy] );
redit_exit( ch, g_scene, dir, rbuf, "", TRUE );
}
};
if ( created == value*value )
ptransmit( "Grid generated.\r\n", ch );
else ptransmit( "Only part of the grid has been generated.", ch );
SET_BIT( pZone->zone_flags, ZONE_CHANGED );
}
} else ptransmit( "Syntax: grid [size]\r\n(creates a grid of sizeXsize using zone's available vnums)\r\n", ch );
return;
}

It goes in the command section of (void) redit()
10 Dec, 2006, Davion wrote in the 43rd comment:

Be very careful about using this function, or anything that's kind of similar. It looks somewhat like NiMUD, and the (living) author of the codebase is a bit of a nut and will demand all credit for everything you've done should you insert this into your MUD.
10 Dec, 2006, Guest wrote in the 44th comment:

Just a word of caution: This is nimud code, and the authors are known to be … fanatical … about who uses or even sees the code. So just keep that in mind before deciding to try and port this to your own base.
10 Dec, 2006, Testicle wrote in the 45th comment:
That's not true. Locke just wants you to follow his license and respect him equally among other software developers. The license requires you to request permission if you plan to 'create a port' – this is merely for dissemination tracking purposes. It's not too much to ask, really.

NiM5/NiMUD License:
NiM5 is Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003-2006
by Herb Gilliland and licensed under the following terms. NiM5 also
complies with the DikuMUD license, 'diku.txt' which is the primary
license. It's secondary license is Merc Diku license 'merc.txt'

Parts of NiMUD are copyrighted to Chris Woodward in 1994. All rights
reserved.

NiMUD License: Aside from adhering to the Diku License, and the Merc Diku
License, you must follow the NiMUD License:

You may not charge for the use of this software.
You may not remove any copyright notices.
You may not redistribute parts or derived parts, or ports of this software
without permission from its author, who can be reached at swervez@hotpop.com,
locke@mugs.net, herb.gilliland -at - gmail.com (spammed)

The above code snippet is actually from RadMan's AFTERMATH 1.0, which is a derived work derived with permission. You may use this code snippet if you attribute its creator, RadMan.
10 Dec, 2006, Guest wrote in the 46th comment:
Locke expects too much when he demands that everyone follow his license but then he turns around himself and shows complete disrespect for other developers by stripping their credits and claiming their license terms are too draconian for him to follow. Or worse yet, claims the terms are wholly invalid to begin with and doesn't have to follow them.

I'd really love to know how he justifies such a stance. Fanatically demanding full credit in every codebase he claims ripped his OLC, but then claiming he doesn't have to follow the Diku/Merc terms when distributing his code.
11 Dec, 2006, Skol wrote in the 47th comment:
Let's just say, I had a ton more respect for him before he opened his mouth.
Seeing his idiocy here made me really notice just how much of a hypocrite he is.

One thing, can anyone tell me exactly how to tell if it _was_ his OLC? IE. On Ansalon, we started with Rom 2.4b2 back in 96. From what I can see was Ivans to begin with (ie. Examples and error messages in Spanish etc). I'm guessing from time-lines that it would have been 1.5 or 1.7? Perhaps someone like Tyche has an accurate time-line on who did what, when.

Point is, I don't mind the correct person having credit (as my Help OLC will show), but if that tool was not supposed to have credits in this case, I'd love to know.
11 Dec, 2006, Guest wrote in the 48th comment:
Ivan's was a port of ILAB, which is the code that originated from "The Isles". So anyone using a port of either of these two systems in their code is using something which originated with Locke.

As long as your credits contain the following:
/*
* The version info. Please use this info when reporting bugs.
* It is displayed in the game by typing 'version' while editing.
* Do not remove these from the code - by request of Jason Dinkel
*/
#define VERSION "ILAB Online Creation [Beta 1.0, ROM 2.3 modified]\n\r" \
" Port a ROM 2.4 v1.8\n\r"
#define AUTHOR " By Jason(jdinkel@mines.colorado.edu)\n\r" \
" Modified for use with ROM 2.3\n\r" \
" By Hans Birkeland (hansbi@ifi.uio.no)\n\r" \
" Modificado para uso en ROM 2.4b6\n\r" \
" Por Ivan Toledo (itoledo@ctcreuna.cl)\n\r"
#define DATE " (Apr. 7, 1995 - ROM mod, Apr 16, 1995)\n\r" \
" (Port a ROM 2.4 - Nov 2, 1996)\n\r" \
" Version actual : 1.8 - Sep 8, 1998\n\r"
#define CREDITS " Original by Surreality(cxw197@psu.edu) and Locke(locke@lm.com)"

And your copyright headers in the OLC fils have:
/***************************************************************************
* File: olc.h *
* Much time and thought has gone into this software and you are *
* benefitting. We hope that you share your changes too. What goes *
* around, comes around. *
* This code was freely distributed with the The Isles 1.1 source code, *
* and has been used here for OLC - OLC would not be what it is without *
* all the previous coders who released their source code. *
***************************************************************************/

Then you're probably in the clear and Locke and his flock of fanatics can't touch you.

All of which makes me damn glad we chose to go with Smaug when the time came to open our own mud. None of this crap is attached, so we don't have to deal with the constant hounding.

Darien needs to hurry up with ROCS so that there's actually a useful alternative that doesn't leave people needing to credit one of the biggest slimeballs in the community :)
11 Dec, 2006, Omega wrote in the 49th comment:
GEEEESH..

Gimme time D000D!

Got Life, own mud, wife, cats, and ritual masterbation to worry about. :P

Gimme time with the ROCS :P Oi, and now that i've said something really stupid :P My work here is done ;)

ROCS, Schedualed for Augest if i get enough time to work on it.
11 Dec, 2006, KaVir wrote in the 50th comment:
Samson said:
All of which makes me damn glad we chose to go with Smaug when the time came to open our own mud. None of this crap is attached, so we don't have to deal with the constant hounding.

That doesn't necessarily mean much. God Wars II is written from scratch, and doesn't even use rooms - but Locke still claimed that I'd copied my world system from NiMUD (even going so far as to make up fictional quotes that he attributed to me).
11 Dec, 2006, Omega wrote in the 51st comment:
Yeah KaViR, Locke does that, but, the ROCS editor is scratch up, and i'm trying to work it so that anything Locke has done in any of his public releases, is in no way shape or form, re-made (even through accident) which aids in it taking so long.

But with that said, Locke is a douche bag, and he'll probobly still claim he wrote it, but it will only fuel the fire against him.
11 Dec, 2006, Skol wrote in the 52nd comment:
Found mine, thanks Samson!

Looks like mine was a version or so behind, but other than that it's just about exact.

#define VERSION	"ILAB Online Creation [Beta 1.0, ROM 2.3 modified]\n\r" \
" Port to ROM 2.4 v1.00\n\r"
#define AUTHOR " By Jason(jdinkel@mines.colorado.edu)\n\r" \
" Modified for use with ROM 2.3\n\r" \
" By Hans Birkeland (hansbi@ifi.uio.no)\n\r" \
" Modified for use with ROM 2.4b4a\n\r" \
" By Birdie (itoledo@ramses.centic.utem.cl)\n\r" \
" Security Modifications and additions\n\r" \
" By David Leverich 2000 - present\n\r"
#define DATE " (Apr. 7, 1995 - ROM mod, Apr 16, 1995)\n\r" \
" (Port a ROM 2.4 - Nov 2, 1996)\n\r" \
" Version actual : 1.5a - Mar 9, 1997\n\r"
#define CREDITS " Original by Surreality(cxw197@psu.edu) and Locke(locke@lm.com)"

Of course my own modifications and rewrites add me to my own list, but I guess no one will see that unless I release the code at some time eh? heh.

Thanks again btw. I'd seen that years ago but I'd long since forgotten.
12 Dec, 2006, cbunting wrote in the 53rd comment:
The first publicly available mud that featured in-game creation of the game world was Monster and was released in 1988 by Richard Skrenta.

The first publicly available on-line creation system for Dikumud, Armageddon OLC was written and released in 1992. It allowed builders to create zones, rooms, exits, objects, and mobiles interactively via a non-modal command line interface.[11]

The Isles OLC was released in 1994 and its descendents are still used on Merc derived MUDs today.

Hidden Worlds online building system was written for Merc 1.0 by Kalgen of Zebesta. It was used as inspiration for NiMUD's OLC system, which became a popular OLC for Diku. It was written for Vego, a Diku-derived MUD server.

ILAB OLC stands for I Love Amy Barr On-Line Creation and was an authorized port of NiMUD OLC completed with permission from Herb Gilliland, surviving co-author of OLC, by Jason Dinkel.
12 Dec, 2006, kiasyn wrote in the 54th comment:
I take it you got that from the wikipedia entry? :I take it you got that from the wikipedia entry? :[
12 Dec, 2006, cbunting wrote in the 55th comment:
Hello,
The point that I was trying to make is that Locke wants everyone to give him credit for the olc editor but I don't see where Locke is giving credit to the original authors who's code that The Isles OLC is based on.. Locke was only a Co-Author.. Not the full author.

I just think the whole OLC thing is bogus.. Locke isn't the only olc author in the entire diku/merc mud community!

void do_connect( CHAR_DATA *ch, char *argument )
{
char arg1 [MAX_INPUT_LENGTH];
char arg2 [MAX_INPUT_LENGTH];
extern sh_int rev_dir[];
int vnum;
int direction = -1;
bool fOneway = FALSE;
ROOM_INDEX_DATA *pRoomIndex;
EXIT_DATA *pexit = NULL;

if ( IS_NPC( ch ) )
return;

if ( !can_build( ch, ch->in_room->area ) )
{
send_to_char(
"You do not have authorization to build in this zone.\n\r", ch );
return;
}

argument = one_argument( argument, arg1 );
argument = one_argument( argument, arg2 );

if ( arg1[0] == '\0' || arg2[0] == '\0' )
{
send_to_char(" Syntax: connect <direction> <vnum> [oneway]\n\r", ch );
send_to_char(" [oneway] is optional parameter. Exits are two way\n\r", ch );
send_to_char(" by default. Anything other than 'oneway' in that\n\r", ch );
send_to_char(" field will be ignored.\n\r", ch );
return;
}

if ( !is_number( arg2 ) )
{
send_to_char("Target room vnum must be numeric.\n\r", ch );
return;
}
vnum = atoi( arg2 );

direction = get_direction( arg1 );

if ( direction == -1 )
{
do_connect( ch, "" );
return;
}

if ( !str_cmp( argument, "oneway" ) || !str_cmp( argument, "one" ) )
fOneway = TRUE;

if ( (pRoomIndex = get_room_index( vnum )) == NULL )
{
send_to_char("Target room number does not exist.\n\r", ch );
return;
}

if ( (pexit = ch->in_room->exit[direction]) == NULL )
{
pexit = (EXIT_DATA *) alloc_perm( sizeof(*pexit) );
pexit->to_room = pRoomIndex;
pexit->description = str_dup( "\0" );
pexit->keyword = str_dup( "\0" );
pexit->exit_flags = 0;
pexit->key = 0;
pexit->vnum = vnum;
ch->in_room->exit[direction] = pexit;
}
else
{
if ( pexit->to_room != NULL )
{
send_to_char("Exit already exists.\n\r", ch );
return;
}

pexit->to_room = pRoomIndex;
pexit->vnum = vnum;
}

if ( !fOneway )
{
if ( (pexit = pRoomIndex->exit[rev_dir[direction]]) == NULL )
{
pexit = (EXIT_DATA *) alloc_perm( sizeof(*pexit) );
pexit->to_room = ch->in_room;
pexit->description = str_dup( "\0" );
pexit->keyword = str_dup( "\0" );
pexit->exit_flags = 0;
pexit->key = 0;
pexit->vnum = ch->in_room->vnum;
pRoomIndex->exit[rev_dir[direction]] = pexit;
}
else
{
if ( pexit->to_room != NULL )
{
send_to_char("Reverse exit already exists. Forward entrance only created.\n\r", ch );
return;
}

pexit->to_room = ch->in_room;
pexit->vnum = ch->in_room->vnum;
}
}

send_to_char("Exit connected.\n\r", ch );
char_from_room( ch );
char_to_room( ch, pRoomIndex, FALSE );
do_look( ch, "auto" );
return;
}
12 Dec, 2006, Tyche wrote in the 56th comment:
cbunting said:
Hello,
The point that I was trying to make is that Locke wants everyone to give him credit for the olc editor but I don't see where Locke is giving credit to the original authors who's code that The Isles OLC is based on.. Locke was only a Co-Author.. Not the full author.

I just think the whole OLC thing is bogus.. Locke isn't the only olc author in the entire diku/merc mud community!

I've never read anywhere where Locke didn't give credit to his co-author Woodward.
That Envy OLC, ILAB OLC and Ivan's OLC are derivatives of TheIsles OLC is a fact.
That other independent OLCs exist in the Diku mud community is also a fact.
So what's bogus?

Edit: I'd like to add that just because Locke is a nut and makes ridiculous claims, it doesn't mean he forfeits his copyrights in any of his code.
12 Dec, 2006, cbunting wrote in the 57th comment:
Hello,
Here is a whole section about Locke/Olc from Thoric, Kyndig and others. The Link
12 Dec, 2006, Tyche wrote in the 58th comment:
cbunting said:
Hello,
Here is a whole section about Locke/Olc from Thoric, Kyndig and others. The Link

What's your point?
12 Dec, 2006, Guest wrote in the 59th comment:
Tyche said:
Edit: I'd like to add that just because Locke is a nut and makes ridiculous claims, it doesn't mean he forfeits his copyrights in any of his code.

Agreed. But my stance on this is, if Locke has no respect for the copyrights of others, why glorify him in any way if you can avoid it? Use something he didn't write and then you haven't got a problem. But if people insist on using things he's written they should expect him to continue being a fanatical bastard about having books worth of credit written about it even though he has zero respect for the copyrights of others.
12 Dec, 2006, Omega wrote in the 60th comment:
personal dealing with Locke years ago, I emailed him, notified him that I was using a NiMud base, as per requirement of licence at the time.

He logged onto my mud, (after i changed back to rom, almost a year later) and went on a rant about it was a nimud with gui changes.

I have no respect for locke, he hasn't made olc for the masses. and his claims to being the almighty person behind it is pure stupidity, besides, despite all his claims, you can find code in his mud that predates his code release that is identical to code released years earlier by other coders, his so-called 'olc' is just a hack-job on other peoples works with some of his own inginuity (spelt wrong, i know) there is plenty of examples of how he has used snippets in his code, and stripped credits, aswell as using diku-based mud, and stripping credits.

If locke deserves credit, then give him it, but don't give him an ounce more then he deserves.

The ROCS editor is being designed with licencing in-mind, and I will be consulting with afew of the guru's here about licences on how to word it, and structure it so that everyone gets fair-play with the code, aswell as keeping all referances to Locke out of it by ensuring that there isn't even a small little 'splice' of what could even be considered lockes work.

Unless for some ungodly reason he's made other version of olc using variable names/command/function names just for the sake of making his claims to olc imperiable, it will be a locke free system.

And I'm still taking suggestions for features people want. Email me any idea's you have.

And for those interested in helping the product, let me know aswell, I may start getting people on-board with the project to ease my time up alittle bit.
40.0/71