05 Oct, 2006, Brinson wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Apparently you build a template area file. I haven't done much research, but it says it can be adapted to build for all mud codebases.
06 Oct, 2006, Conner wrote in the 22nd comment:
Saw that, but havn't had time to really toy with it yet, so still not entirely certain how to go about that. Perhaps over the weekend. *shrug*
27 Nov, 2006, Guest wrote in the 23rd comment:
Darien said:
Dariens OLC is called ROCS (Rom Online Creation Suite) Incase you must know, and its in allot of development.

Dredging up a bit of an old topic, but for whatever reason I thought about OLC while sitting here at work and wondered if there's been any more progress lately?
27 Nov, 2006, Omega wrote in the 24th comment:
Progress of the ROCS editor is slow due to work on sanstorm, however, it is coming along, i'm avoiding all common connections with anything that would resemble Ivans OLC, or anything that Locke would claim, function naming, and methods on how things work are all important in creating the locke/ilab licencing.

It is being written into a stock Rom24 mud at the moment, and is being done ground up, there is no colour, or copyover, just straight rom with my editor ontop, I am always willing to take idea's for things to add to the system, and i am not going to tell what all you can expect in it, because there is quite allot of neat features, that i do not want to get leaked and have other people release them for the other rom olc's.

Ontop of all of this, there is planning to port this to other mud-bases outside of the rom-tree.
28 Nov, 2006, Brinson wrote in the 25th comment:
I'd love to see autodig where you can freely walk around it builds. What would be amazing is if it forced geographical sense when doing this so that room intersected where they should. If I walked in a circle, for instance, it would link the rooms together.
28 Nov, 2006, Cratylus wrote in the 26th comment:
An octagon, perhaps.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net/
28 Nov, 2006, Omega wrote in the 27th comment:
Thanks for the suggestions :)

I'm looking forward to writing up allot of these functions :)
28 Nov, 2006, Guest wrote in the 28th comment:
Brinson said:
I'd love to see autodig where you can freely walk around it builds. What would be amazing is if it forced geographical sense when doing this so that room intersected where they should. If I walked in a circle, for instance, it would link the rooms together.

I like to refer to this as "linkwalking" and had planned on adding it to the AFKMud 2.0 release when it comes out, but it's not set in stone yet. Still debating it. I hadn't planned on it making geographic sense because I don't really know how to do that but it would certainly be nice.
28 Nov, 2006, Omega wrote in the 29th comment:
samson, its easy to setup, you have to create an 'incrementing' grid.

If you walk 20north, and 30e, and 10u, then obviously, the grid expands.

and the grids are right ontop of each other, this way, your on grid-level z, x/y location on the grid, and you dig up, then go west 3 times, then down, and it will check the grid z -1, and find if the room exists or not.
if it exists, it simply links, if it doesn't, it creates.

its as easy as making an incrementing grid and searching the x/y/z variables. (yes, i've put some thought towards this *hint here at a feature*)
28 Nov, 2006, kiasyn wrote in the 30th comment:
already have link walking, with geographical sense.

for another kind of OLC I had started work on Sparx, but have since got bored and released it. If anyone wants to continue it (theres a lot needs doing) go ahead. :, but have since got bored and released it. If anyone wants to continue it (theres a lot needs doing) go ahead. :[
28 Nov, 2006, bexar wrote in the 31st comment:
28 Nov, 2006, kiasyn wrote in the 32nd comment:
Fixed.
30 Nov, 2006, cbunting wrote in the 33rd comment:
Hello All,

I've just briefly read over the replies here but going back to the first post in regards to OLC, How is this really any different from using autosetting features? They were released years ago and I uploaded some to mudmagic under rom a long time ago as well. These work for mobs, weapons ect.. Create a new mob, give it a name, short, long and level and autoset it. Same with weapons.. And you can tweak the code so that you can set the values to be easier or harder.

I wasn't sure if the autosetting code was along the same lines as what was mentioned above so that is why I replied.
Chris
30 Nov, 2006, Conner wrote in the 34th comment:
Doesn't sound like the same thing, Chris. They were talking about building by just walking around and auto creating/linking each room to the next based on which direction you walked and what's already there. But this autosetting sounds pretty good too, kind of like the template system that Exodus/Darien (I can't remember which) was working on recently.. actually, I think AFKmud has something like that too.
02 Dec, 2006, Guest wrote in the 35th comment:
Conner said:
But this autosetting sounds pretty good too, kind of like the template system that Exodus/Darien (I can't remember which) was working on recently.. actually, I think AFKmud has something like that too.

Yes. We have this, at least to some degree. It likely isn't the prettiest method to do it but leaving certain stat values set, say gold at -1, will tell the mud to generate treasure on the mob for instance. There's plenty of other autosetting things we have but I'd have to dig through the code to remember them all now :)
02 Dec, 2006, Davion wrote in the 36th comment:
Conner said:
Doesn't sound like the same thing, Chris. They were talking about building by just walking around and auto creating/linking each room to the next based on which direction you walked and what's already there. But this autosetting sounds pretty good too, kind of like the template system that Exodus/Darien (I can't remember which) was working on recently.. actually, I think AFKmud has something like that too.

Pretty sure he's replying to my original post. But, these forums are flat and without direct quotes you can only rely on the content of the post to guess who he's replying too. My key off was

I've just briefly read over the replies here but going back to the first post in regards to OLC

And ya, it sounds just like the autoset features (which I'm pretty sure I've used). Feel free to toss them up here too, wouldn't mind taking a look at them.
03 Dec, 2006, Conner wrote in the 37th comment:
I suspect that you're right, Davion. I was just replying to what he'd actually written rather than going back to the beginning of this thread (two pages back), but I do think both of these concepts sound pretty cool. The auto-linking would make building much easier, especially if it took surrounding areas/rooms into account which would make building areas much more easily mappable too. The auto-setting stuff sounds like a great way to make sure all your mobs are within range of what you want your mobs to be for game 'balance'. :grinning:
03 Dec, 2006, cbunting wrote in the 38th comment:
Hey Guys, sorry for not looking at exact posts before I replied.

I do understand what you guys have been talking about. Although this isn't exactly the same, Have you seen the redit mod by snake? I allows you to create new rooms using directions and whatnot. I haven't tried it but it's just something else I know about.

EG:
/* The following is the help file.

help snake
{x
syntax snake <directions>
{x
Example:
snake nnee
{x
This will create a path of rooms 2 north and then 2 east from you.
{x
Example:
snake 2n2e
{x
This will create a path of rooms 2 north and then 2 east from you, not
unlike above.
{x
Example:
snake 2n2e 2s2w
{x
This will create a path of rooms 2 north and then 2 east, then create
a second path 2 south and 2 west.

*/
04 Dec, 2006, Conner wrote in the 39th comment:
That doesn't sound quite as useful as the auto-linking they were talking about, but it does sound pretty nifty.
04 Dec, 2006, cbunting wrote in the 40th comment:
Conner said:

Hello All,

I'm using Merc. 2.2 with a modified version of the olc that was released for Envy. Couldn't find an olc for merc.

Anyway, In the redit section of my olc_act.c, There is the section that includes the dig code. All you would need to do is rework some code like that to not need the "dig".. You just need to check for the available vnums correct?

I can write code some code real quick so that when you type west, east, south, north ect that it will create a link automaticly using the next available vnum. But my question is, what about linking back to another room or what if you wanted just a one way exit? Would you allow the auto function to be turned off and on within the redit editor?

Just asking cause I can throw some code together to do this. I just don't have all of the ideas.

Chris

BTW: In regards to the first post about setting features on mobs per level. I'm using Merc 2.2 + the original olc released for envy. This olc and codebase didn't allow much to be set since alot of things are missing as compared to Rom and such but I think all olc editors have something simular.

Here is what I did for Merc + OLC to ease creation of mobiles. These are pretty much configured to balance mobs for any level of my mud. I'm just posting this as an example cause until I had the idea, I never thought of modifying this section.

The is MEDIT (level) or whatever in most muds.

bool medit_level( CHAR_DATA *ch, char *argument )
{
MOB_INDEX_DATA *pMob;
int setargs;
EDIT_MOB (ch, pMob);

if ( argument[0] == '\0' || !is_number( argument ) )
{
send_to_char( "Syntax: level [number]\n\r", ch );
return FALSE;
}

setargs = atoi (argument);

pMob->level = setargs;

pMob->hitroll = ( setargs * 2 / 6 );
pMob->ac = ( setargs - ( setargs * 2 ) * 2 );
pMob->hitnodice = ( setargs );
pMob->hitsizedice = ( setargs * 2 );
pMob->hitplus = (pMob->level * 10);
pMob->damnodice = ( setargs );
pMob->damsizedice = (pMob->level + .5) * 2 + .2;
pMob->damplus = (pMob->level/50 + 1) * ((pMob->level * 10) + (pMob->level/10)) +1;
pMob->gold = ( setargs * 10);

send_to_char ("Level set.\n\r", ch);
return TRUE;
}
20.0/71