21 Aug, 2009, Silenus wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I own these two books but havent read through them yet. I am wondering if you desire to be a good C++ programmer are these books required reading?
21 Aug, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
Never heard of them, but that doesn't necessarily mean much. I would hesitate to say that any particular book is "required" reading, strictly speaking, though, assuming you actually mean required and not just recommended or useful.
21 Aug, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 3rd comment:
Silenus said:
I own these two books but havent read through them yet. I am wondering if you desire to be a good C++ programmer are these books required reading?

Do you mean "Effective C++" and "More Effective C++" by Scott Meyers? If so I would definitely recommend them, although I wouldn't call them "required" reading.
22 Aug, 2009, Silenus wrote in the 4th comment:
Thanks. I have been trying to transition from being merely somewhat knowledgeable about the language features to being good with the language. I have flipped through Effective/More Effective but found them in general to contain mainly basic advice for individuals transitioning over from knowing essentials to intermediate level (there are a few nuggets I am sure I am not actually aware of). I use to own those too but cannot see myself reading them again.
22 Aug, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
You think that the 'Effective' series only contain basic knowledge? If that is the case, I think we must be operating on wholly different levels of what it means to be proficient C++ programmers. :wink:
22 Aug, 2009, Silenus wrote in the 6th comment:
There is another reason as well- I found a book, C++ common knowledge(classified as an intermediate level book) which seems to go over similar points to effective C++/more effective C++ but seems more tightly written and more concise. Perhaps because it's a newer book ppl. might not be familiar with it.

I am basically trying to bridge the gap from intermediate to advanced now which is why I have been looking at advanced/expert level books but I am not too sure what fits the bill.
31 Oct, 2009, Kaz wrote in the 7th comment:
Sorry for topic digging.

I just wanted to say that I also own Exceptional C++ and More Exceptional C++, and a couple of others by Herb Sutter, and I thoroughly recommend them to every C++ developer ever.

(Along with Effective C++, TC++PL and TC++SL)
0.0/7