27 Jul, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 141st comment:
Votes: 0
Davion said:
Dubstack said:
Anyhow play for 2 days be for you total judge my mud base of 5 minutes

Man, Lobotomy, I've heard of advice falling on deaf ears before, but wow.

Oh well.
27 Jul, 2009, Iovan Drake wrote in the 142nd comment:
Dubstack not sticking to a loose DBT arrangement doesn't worry me. Regardless of his claims that he is or has removed most of DBT, it is still a DBT. Otherwise what would be the point in him using it at all? He could start fresh afterall instead of using a DBT.

I would probably suggest that as DBT is a codebase with a rough history and I am not proud of it. It was my first attempt at coding/building a mud, and even though it did manage to have a fairly decent playerbase(20+ players on at any given time) it will not be anything I champion around as an example.

I released the code as sort of a look for potential DBZ admins to base their work off of. Or if they are lazy to just use the stock DBT. I had no idea that there would be a new DBT copy up every other week. I am sorry to those this may pain. Least of which is myself. There are some interesting things DBZ admins may want in their muds, but running the whole mud isn't recommended.

I after all developed DBT and I stopped running it because of my disappointment with it. Lessons from past mistakes and professional courses in C/C++ have made DBT look like scribblings with crayons compared to the nice paint strokes I can employ now.
27 Jul, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 143rd comment:
Well what a drama lama thread.

My opinion? You are all* being dicks. Grow up.

To be honest, if the criticism given to dubstack was phrased better then I actually think there could be something worth taking away, but it Crat seems to make his advice sound like a lecture from an angry parent or something, and the rest are just complaining about how bad the grammar is. Wow, some people can't speak or write English? Well what a surpise. I bet you can't read or write mexican either, or if you can, not even half as well as Dubstack can write in English (punctuation aside).

@ Dubstack et al: this is a site that is mainly read and posted by seasoned (as in very experienced) builders and programmers. We know what we are talking about. Some of us have been mudding since before you were born (well, at least before you were able to write your names). Look past the crapola and heed the advice.

My advice? Put your mud back into alpha, give it half a year or so and come back and ask for testers again. I will be happy to help and I'm sure others will too. Just not yet.

Sheesh, I feel like a school prefect.

[edit * all in the loose sense of the word, the ones flaming each other, as in not all but most ;) ]
27 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 144th comment:
This has become one long ass tread. huh?! Anyhow let's try helping me be for bashing me. You watch it will grow some day.
27 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 145th comment:
flumpy said:
I bet you can't read or write mexican either, or if you can, not even half as well as Dubstack can write in English (punctuation aside).

You realize that he's not Mexican, right, but American? :wink: (And that they speak Spanish in Mexico?)

Dubstack said:
Anyhow let's try helping me

That was tried several times over already. :thinking:
27 Jul, 2009, Kline wrote in the 146th comment:
flumpy said:
Wow, some people can't speak or write English? Well what a surpise. I bet you can't read or write mexican either, or if you can, not even half as well as Dubstack can write in English (punctuation aside).

Well no, I can't speak or write Spanish, but I'm not trying to use Spanish to communicate any requests for help or feedback to an audience that understands Spanish, either. If someone is upfront about saying "Hey, this isn't my native language" and there's an obvious effort, then so what? I think most reasonable people can accept the lack of writing mechanics at that point. When someone comes out and claims this (English) is their native language, though, and still can't communicate any better than a child in grade school though…? That's where I have my problems. Lobotomy spelled things out pretty nicely of why the writing is "such a big deal".
27 Jul, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 147th comment:
Kline said:
If someone is upfront about saying "Hey, this isn't my native language" and there's an obvious effort, then so what?

Hmm I was sure he said he spoke spanish. Guess he's just not that great at typing long letters… still, doesn't make him a retard just cause he cannot spell..

I was thinking about this thread when I wrote that post btw. but he already said hes not that good at spelling there, which is being "up front" about it…
27 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 148th comment:
There are spelling errors on the one hand, and utter failure to form a coherent sentence on the other…
27 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 149th comment:
You guys are so nice to me lol
27 Jul, 2009, Kline wrote in the 150th comment:
Dubstack said:
You guys are so nice to me lol

Quoted for remembrance. This is probably the single most coherent sentence that's come out of you yet.
27 Jul, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 151st comment:
David Haley said:
flumpy said:
I bet you can't read or write mexican either, or if you can, not even half as well as Dubstack can write in English (punctuation aside).

You realize that he's not Mexican, right, but American? :wink:

Honestly no I thought English was his second language…

David Haley said:
(And that they speak Spanish in Mexico?)

No sh*t, sherlock.. I was alluding to the white mexican post in another thread (although you probably know that :lol::)
27 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 152nd comment:
Well, sure, it's just that speaking of "reading or writing Mexican" is kind of like saying "reading or writing American", "reading or writing Canadian", "reading or writing Chilean", etc. :wink:

And the mistakes he makes aren't really the kind that foreign speakers would make; foreign speakers would still have at least some sentence structure and try to be coherent.
27 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 153rd comment:
I love you too Kline!
27 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 154th comment:
Ya'll so nice to me why don't we all be friends and get in a circle and smoke a joint or something!
27 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 155th comment:
flumpy said:
Honestly no I thought English was his second language…

From http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=topi... :

dubstack said:
Rofl umm am full white I know english I just can't type am bad at spelling and I went to a school for crooks and retards I got know learn!

I think it is telling that 2 people now have loudly defended
dubstack on the ground that he's a foreigner that shouldn't
be expected to be proficient with English.

I think it's worth pointing out that there are people on this
site and in the mudding community for whom English is a
second language that have a better grasp of English grammar and
English composition than dubstack.

We don't excuse Scandum's belligerence because he's not a native English speaker.

My intolerable arrogance is not somehow forgiven because I'm not a native English speaker.

And if dubstack had been a native "Mexican" speaker, that would
not have excused his apparent refusal to make coherent sense. It would
not have excused his apparent refusal to read sentences with subordinate
clauses for comprehension.

Dubstack's difficulty with language should not be his sword and
shield. They are a problem he should be encouraged to fix. It is
not shameful to tell him his verbal communication skills are
atrocious. It is good and right to warn dubstack that him making a
mud makes about as much sense as Helen Keller going into photojournalism.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net

PS:
DavidBailey said:
Well, sure, it's just that speaking of "reading or writing Mexican" is kind of like saying "reading or writing American", "reading or writing Canadian", "reading or writing Chilean", etc.

Yeah I'm counting Davion, Dean, Fury, Kiasyn, etc, etc among the
foreigners who aren't excused from making sense just because
the don't talk American. I'm hoping they shape up soon too.
27 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 156th comment:
I'm White god damn it I speak normal English for the 100th time I just can't type worth a fuck. I'm not Mexican I live in Florida raised in Florida born in Florida. I don't have a second language. Here is what I look like jeez http://www.myspace.com/sweet_country_boy... and if you don't believe me message me on myspace and I will talk to you just as I would on here. I don't know any other way to prove that I am white and you people are just going on about how I type. Typing and talking are to total different sets of skills I bet I can make you feel dumb if we talked as far as typing goes I suck at point blink I mean I don't know how many times (9 times I have told you all this) I have said I'm white and I just can't type. Anyhow just go look add me as a friend.
27 Jul, 2009, Runter wrote in the 157th comment:
Lol. Insulting basic communication skills offends some people less than being called Mexican, apparently.
27 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 158th comment:
Dubstack said:
I'm White god damn

Nobody cares what color you are, dubstack. For real.

Well, maybe scandum.

-Crat
27 Jul, 2009, Kline wrote in the 159th comment:
Dubstack said:
I'm White god damn it I speak normal English for the 100th time I just can't type worth a fuck. I'm not Mexican I live in Florida raised in Florida born in Florida. I don't have a second language. Here is what I look like jeez http://www.myspace.com/sweet_country_boy... and if you don't believe me message me on myspace and I will talk to you just as I would on here. I don't know any other way to prove that I am white and you people are just going on about how I type. Typing and talking are to total different sets of skills I bet I can make you feel dumb if we talked as far as typing goes I suck at point blink I mean I don't know how many times (9 times I have told you all this) I have said I'm white and I just can't type. Anyhow just go look add me as a friend.

Quoted for remembrance. This is probably the single most coherent paragraph you've written so far. Thank you.
27 Jul, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 160th comment:
This thread… Wow, just wow.

On the whole grammar thing, the only thing I really felt the need to pick apart is the use of the apostrophe, as this tends to be one of my pet peeves.

When you have a word, such as "guy" and you want to make it plural, that is, indicate more than one guy, you simply tack on an 's' to the end of the word, such as: guys

Example:
Singular: That guy can't type.
Plural: Those guys can't type.

Now, the use of an apostrophe followed by an 's' is indicative of the possessive form of the noun, that is, you are assigning ownership of something to the noun.

Example:
Singular/Possessive: That guy's grammar is terrible.

You may also add the apostrophe after the 's' to indicate possessive and plural.

Example:
Plural/Possessive: Those guys' grammar is terrible.

Of course, there are exceptions to almost every rule of grammar, and I make no claim as to the perfection of my grammar in general or especially in this post, but maybe this can help you guys understand how to properly use an apostrophe. Also, for the record, I'm no English major either, I just paid attention in class and I care about how I come across to others when I'm trying to communicate with them.

For more:
http://www.amazon.com/Eats-Shoots-Leaves...
140.0/227