27 Jul, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 121st comment:
Votes: 0
Dubstack said:
You guy's must think that am just as dumb as you all huh I can speak normal English, I just can't type so why don't you lay off and let me get some builder's to come post on here. I mean that is what this forum was for to hire builder's, and tester's right? I did you understand stand that or do I need to break down?

If I'm to be completely blunt and honest. Yes, I find you to be a complete waste of time. I spend more time trying to decipher what you were trying to say, then actually reading what you typed. Not being able to type has nothing to do with how well you know the English language. Not being able to type has no bearing on this at all. You can't spell. You spell simple words wrong. Words that my 6 year old nephew can spell without fail. I'm sorry, but you're not worth me wasting any more time on.

Hellion said:
No…. I wasn't saying I can't take it. If there was something positive to listin to I might accept it. I'm always open to opinions and idea's. The thing that made me mad was that yes not all of us are english major's, so im sorry if everyone's spelling is not up to par. And yes i took ALOT of the info in that was all over this part of the forum. ESP building issues and we JUST started so yes it is going to take some time. I do understand that and thats why im not asking for players whatsoever. It is noted and it will all be fixed in the time it takes to create this place.

Wait. Wait wait. You're open to ideas? Then why didn't you listen to any of the ones offered? If you've just started. Why the fuck do you need beta testers? And also. Asking for testers *IS* asking for players.

Wikipedia said:
"Beta" is a nickname for software which has passed the alpha testing stage of development and has been released to users for software testing before its official release. It is the prototype of the software that is released to the public. Beta testing allows the software to undergo usability testing with users who provide feedback, so that any malfunctions these users find in the software can be reported to the developers and fixed. Beta software can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss.

Perhaps you should consult the article quoted and decide for yourself whether you're actually Beta or not.
27 Jul, 2009, Hellion wrote in the 122nd comment:
Ok, thats understandable. I don't think i have THAT bad of english skills…. Though I might i guess if this many people think so. I try and get my point to people the best I can. I couldn't of done that bad seeing as how you are responding pretty clear to what i've said?
27 Jul, 2009, Hellion wrote in the 123rd comment:
Whooaaa… for the record, I never asked for players that was Dubstack. It is his mud to do what he wants with and YES, you are correct. I will try to make my point to him as best I can about this issue. We do need atleast a working world before any players come "test" at all. Thank you for the input.
27 Jul, 2009, Davion wrote in the 124th comment:
Hellion said:
Ok, thats understandable. I don't think i have THAT bad of english skills…. Though I might i guess if this many people think so. I try and get my point to people the best I can. I couldn't of done that bad seeing as how you are responding pretty clear to what i've said?

Shouldn't you be asking questions about the game itself instead of your english skills? I've said this before, posting here for builders is most likely useless ;). Not a whole lot of builders hang out here. If all you walk away with this is some criticism and some time on the front page, I think you've done well for yourself ;). If someone says something you disagree with, that's fine. You can always just say "I like my colour codes, tyvm." and move on to the next point.
27 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 125th comment:
I like my colour codes tyvm
27 Jul, 2009, Hellion wrote in the 126th comment:
Davion said:
Shouldn't you be asking questions about the game itself instead of your english skills? I've said this before, posting here for builders is most likely useless ;). Not a whole lot of builders hang out here. If all you walk away with this is some criticism and some time on the front page, I think you've done well for yourself ;). If someone says something you disagree with, that's fine. You can always just say "I like my colour codes, tyvm." and move on to the next point.

Heh, Yea :P I already got the main point. The world is screwed fix it, and make it alittle more original.
27 Jul, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 127th comment:
Dubstack, Hellion, the thing about the importance of English in relation to things such as a forum post, for instance, is that you're demonstrating to us to what extent you care about being understood, and to what extent you have respect for other people in the form of how much translation you want to force the language centers of other people's brain to perform on your messages in order to make them understandable. It's not so much that you can't be understood, but that it's time-consuming, annoying, and perhaps even painful (through mental fatigue) to do so. After all, the brain doesn't just compute information for free; it costs energy, and causes fatigue, so the consequence of bad language skills on the mind of the reader is very real. It can be very insulting to take that matter so lightly.

Anyhow, the point is that you don't need to just type as fast as you can at the expense of your legibility merely to get your forum post out as quickly as possible. Slow down, take your time, proof read your text after writing it (and not just once!), and then post. I think you will find yourself much better received if you at least show us a modicum of respect by trying to be as well spoken as you possibly can at all times.

I will also note that I myself am not an English major either. I don't even have a college education. My English competancy is the result of, aside from paying attention during my English classes back when I was in high school, simple perserverance over time. I've kept my mind open and receptive to learning more and more about English, picking up as many of the rules (grammar) and proper spellings of words as possible as I go. I strongly believe that anyone else can do the same.

Lastly, I will also note that were I currently the administrator of a game trying to hire builders, the English competancy such as what I've mentioned above is the sorts of thing I'm going to expect to see out of my builders. You should know that it further reflects poorly upon yourselves as administrators to be trying to hire builders for your game when your demonstrated English is so poor. Yes, MUDs are games and it's not always SRS BSNS, but you do need to remember that, as administrators, you represent your game to the public. If you conduct yourself poorly, it reflects poorly on your game, and vice versa.

Edit: Also, don't be afraid to edit your posts once they are posted in order to clean up the text, should you notice any typos that happen to make their way into it.
27 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 128th comment:
Anyhow play for 2 days be for you total judge my mud base of 5 minutes
27 Jul, 2009, Dean wrote in the 129th comment:
I played that code for over a year, I don't need another 2 days to pass my verdict. Might I suggest that you erm, make a thread on TMC looking for testers players, you'll probably get a better response in that regard.
27 Jul, 2009, Karten wrote in the 130th comment:
Kayle said:
This whole post has just gone to show how the majority of DBZ Admins are immature and unable to take any form of criticism, be it bad, or good. Ok. So. Dean's the only one I've met that's any good at taking criticism, so meh.

You know it really bugs me the rep that DBZ muds get around here. I understand that a slew of clones popped up over the years and dinged egos and just put a plain ole bad taste in everyone's mouth. But, honestly, there are a few of us out there that try to keep things new and keep working on our muds over the years. I came on here about 4 months ago spouting our opening and caught a little flack. But hey that's life.

Dub you need to get over yourself. Your mud is no where near what can even be considered playable and you should have taken up the offers to learn from some of the folks here. I wouldn't have had a third of the trouble I did, debugging my mud and recoding entire portions if some of these guys had offered the same to me. Listen to them. These guys have been around the proverbial block a dozen times or 3.

As far as builders, you're probably not going to get quality builders until you have a quality (ok well, semi-quality, maybe quasi-quality) mud. Builders don't want to work on their areas living in fear of a dreaded crash and what not. Get a stable code, get some base players, then you'll have the possibility of some of them being builders at heart. That's the best advice I can give you.
27 Jul, 2009, Davion wrote in the 131st comment:
Dubstack said:

Man, Lobotomy, I've heard of advice falling on deaf ears before, but wow.
27 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 132nd comment:
Dubstack said:

Well, thanks for spell-checking at least. That's a start.
27 Jul, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 133rd comment:
Karten said:
Kayle said:
This whole post has just gone to show how the majority of DBZ Admins are immature and unable to take any form of criticism, be it bad, or good. Ok. So. Dean's the only one I've met that's any good at taking criticism, so meh.

You know it really bugs me the rep that DBZ muds get around here. I understand that a slew of clones popped up over the years and dinged egos and just put a plain ole bad taste in everyone's mouth. But, honestly, there are a few of us out there that try to keep things new and keep working on our muds over the years. I came on here about 4 months ago spouting our opening and caught a little flack. But hey that's life.

Well, I did say the majority were. I know there are exceptions. Dubstack and Hellion are just proving to not be.
27 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 134th comment:
Karten said:
Check out my mud, Dragonball Revolt, at its homepage.

Or connect at dragonballrevolt.genesismuds.com:6969

So…the Dragonballs are revolting are they?
27 Jul, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 135th comment:
I have roughly 2 and half hours logged on their mud so far… I am going to get a full 48 hours of play before I say anything about the quality of what I've seen. I will note that Hellion is very receptive and was avidly working on improving various aspects of the mud when I spoke to him. Dubstack was very helpful and answered the questions asked of him in a very legible way (surprise!). =)
27 Jul, 2009, Karten wrote in the 136th comment:
Cratylus said:
Karten said:
Check out my mud, Dragonball Revolt, at its homepage.

Or connect at dragonballrevolt.genesismuds.com:6969

So…the Dragonballs are revolting are they?

Well they were, but they got tired and needed a nap.
27 Jul, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 137th comment:
I'd love to help Hellion but I'm not at all familiar with Circlemud. You might want to start another thread for questions of that nature…since this one has stayed on topic so well. =)
27 Jul, 2009, Guest wrote in the 138th comment:
Here's a novel concept. You guys don't like Dubstack and/or his MUD? Try this: Ignore him. Yeah, I know, scary thought. Just ignore him and you won't have to deal with it. All this bickering is pointless. Go find something else to spend time on. There's plenty of other posts you could be reading, yes?
27 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 139th comment:
Dubstack is apparently offering to teach people, so I guess you could start there.

:ducks:
27 Jul, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 140th comment:
I'm sorry Samson. I will stop picking on them immediately. =)
120.0/227