26 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 81st comment:
Votes: 0
Cratylus said:
Dubstack said:
Come on play my mud host and post is down below

All righty. Crat's review of dubmud.

1) Colors. Too much. Too random. Unicorn puke.

2) User interface. Don't assume people use white text on black backgrounds.
I don't, and it makes some of the mud unreadable.

3) Newbie unfriendly. You can't use local channels unless your powerlevel
is about 1,000. Which is fine until someone tries to talk to you on a
channel and you can't respond.

4) Buggy bulletin boards. Broken until an admin showed up.

5) Poor layout. I was actually able to wander into the admin's workroom.
There are empty rooms in the game that are actually called "Empty Room".

6) Weak descriptions. Example: "Banishing and torching everything in its path
and all the while a figure is barley visible through the flame, clothed in a
hoody." That's from a description of a room. There was nobody actually there.

7) Odd numbers. I killed some tourist with a single blow for like 32,000 XP.
That makes no sense to me. Why are the XP from a one-hit kill in the thousands?
Perhaps I was promoted more than I thought, but I'm still unsure why some
random pedestrian yields XP in the thousands.

Example:

kill police
You ram your fist through West City Police Officer's chest, and your bloody arm emerges through their back!
You receive 50,000 experience points.
(You gain +1 Focus)
You feel West City Police Officer's powerlevel fade away.

[PL: 1,582/1,778][Ki: 1,315/1,696][Lp: 22]
get all from police
You don't have a police.

get all from corpse
You get a small pile of gold coins from the corpse of West City Police Officer.
There were 200 coins.

You are hungry.
You are thirsty.

[PL: 1,599/1,778][Ki: 1,315/1,696][Lp: 22]

Drunken Bum arrives from the North.

I get the strong feeling that it's supposed to be fun to just
kill everything you see with one hit. It's actually less fun
than it looks.

Conclusion:

It's pretty unfair to judge a mud based on 15 minutes of looking around,
so there's that. However, from what I saw, this is a poorly written,
poorly laid out, poorly thought out game with few engaging features or
functionality. As far as I can tell it's supposed to be fun because
there are lots of things to kill and get XP for, and that's it. If
that's what you like, then this is the mud for you.

-Crat

Most of what you seen was A. Iovan B.Solbet C. Kuvoc Work Yeah I change the world around haven't got renaming the mud, Hint (We are still working on the mud) We haven't even add the new gain system in much less ton the exp we my keep exp that high but your gains are going to below what you gain now. Best why to get stronger is to get better eq to get eq got to do quest find jewel shards get whole sacred jewel (Kind-Rare: means doing a quest or player killing you my get one or maybe just by leveling.) What you have seen is just the stock version of the building of this code. That workshop you ran into is my mortal board for you people to post info to me, like I don't know bugs in the mud, telling me about mud stuff that my need to be fix or add new idea we can use. Those "Empty Room's" Are Immortal "Workshop" will go they will have boards 1 is for our coder 1 is for me head building 1 is for the Immortal to player (He handles all small minor things like rewards and games{Something to spice up the mud}).

Going to go add
"This MUD is best viewed with the Arial font and white text and black background."

I mud with a white background! J/k I do tho really I really do!
26 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 82nd comment:
Samson said:
Anyone who plays MUDs with a white background expecting black text deserves to be soaked in "Unicorn Puke".

Actually I don't expect any one color. I expect muds to understand my client has a
default and not assume a specific color is being used.

Dubstack said:
Most of what you seen was A. Iovan B.Solbet C. Kuvoc Work

If you're just going to blame other people for what's wrong, why are you inviting folks to play there?

Dubstack said:
Yeah I change the world around haven't got renaming the mud, Hint (We are still working on the mud)

If your mud is this unfinished, why are you inviting folks to play there?

Dubstack said:
We haven't even add the new gain system in much less ton the exp we my keep exp that high but your gains are going to below what you gain now. Best why to get stronger is to get better eq to get eq got to do quest find jewel shards get whole sacred jewel (Kind-Rare: means doing a quest or player killing you my get one or maybe just by leveling.) What you have seen is just the stock version of the building of this code.

If your mud is this stock, why would anyone play on it rather than some other mud that
uses the same codebase but actually got around to fixing it?

Dubstack said:
That workshop you ran into is my mortal board for you people to post info to me,

I could not use that board. I wasn't holy enough or some such thing.

Dubstack said:
like I don't know bugs in the mud, telling me about mud stuff that my need to be fix or add new idea we can use. Those "Empty Room's" Are Immortal "Workshop" will go they will have boards 1 is for our coder 1 is for me head building 1 is for the Immortal to player (He handles all small minor things like rewards and games{Something to spice up the mud}).

I understand your mud is a complete mess because you only just started work. That's fine.
That's normal. But quit telling people to come play your cool mud. It's not close to cool. You
guys don't even know your own mud:

Vacant Lot
Gravity: Normal.
This nearly empty lot seems carved out of the surrounding buildings - the
area is almost pristine, save for the pink wisps of smoke. Oh, yes, and the
egg. A massive egg of some sort sits on an large iron ring in the middle of
the lot. The egg occasionally leaks pink smoke from a small crack near the
upper tip.
Obvious exits:
South - West City: Neon Avenue

[PL: 1,778/1,778][Ki: 1,315/1,696][Lp: 22]
p
You take off your elbow pad, look to the croud, and start running towards the ropes.

who

0=============[Warriors of Dragon Ball Universe]=============0

[Is Fuckin God] {GOD} Michael hrmmm
[Human ] {M} Cratylus the Human (Newbie)
[Saiyan ] {M} Raditz the Saiyan (SSJ 2)
[Blazed ] {M} ( Kaiser ) Bombs they drop them bows (RP) (S.Human 4)

0=================[4 warriors in the Universe.]=================0
Time to next reboot: 1 day(s), 23 hour(s), 17 minute(s)
Next interest in: 7 hour(s), 17 minute(s), 58 second(s)
Please check out help vote.

ooc whats with the egg
You (OOC), 'whats with the egg'

Michael (OOC)s, '?'

Michael (OOC)s, 'whats wrong'

ooc the egg
You (OOC), 'the egg'

ooc whats with the egg
You (OOC), 'whats with the egg'

You are hungry.
You are thirsty.

Michael appears with an ear-splitting bang.

Michael says, 'what egg'

Michael looks at you.

l
Vacant Lot
This nearly empty lot seems carved out of the surrounding buildings - the
area is almost pristine, save for the pink wisps of smoke. Oh, yes, and the
egg. A massive egg of some sort sits on an large iron ring in the middle of
the lot. The egg occasionally leaks pink smoke from a small crack near the
upper tip.
Obvious exits:
South - West City: Neon Avenue
Michael stands here.

ooc that one
You (OOC), 'that one'

Michael says, 'what one'

ooc read the description here
You (OOC), 'read the description here'

Michael points in all directions, seemingly confused.

Michael sinks deeply into his own thoughts.

Michael says, 'good question'

Michael says, 'i don't do the building'

The egg slowly cracks open, and a cloud of pink smoke pours out.

Suddenly the smoke is sucked up into the egg, and a great wind starts to pull on everything in the lot.

Suddenly you get sucked up into the egg as well!

Michael says, 'id have to ask kaiser'

You are hungry.
You are thirsty.

l
Majinton City: Rift Hut
This wooden hut has been built around the rift that leads to the real
universe. Majin's only go through here when they want to have fun, or
something draws them out. The room has a big swirling pink vortex in the
center of the floor, and anything not able to withstand it is sucked in
instantly.
Obvious exits:
North - Majinton City: Donut Way
Down - Vacant Lot
Michael stands here.

ooc i guess now we know
You (OOC), 'i guess now we know'

Michael says, 'hey i don't do the building here'

Michael says, 'don't get mad at me i only code'

wave
You wave goodbye.

quit
[Player Logout] Cratylus has left Drag(*)n Ball - Resurrection of Truth
Goodbye, friend.. Come back soon!

[0] Exit Dragon Ball Universe!
[1] Enter Dragon Ball Universe!
[2] Enter description
Pick one:
Goodbye.
Connection to zeno.biyg.org closed by foreign host.

-Crat
26 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 83rd comment:
That egg is hide in that room you have to focus 'true' anyhow I'm asking people to beta test to find bugs and to show you I haven't posted to come play on my mud anywhere but here and only on this forum. lol You should just play for a day or so and really try to play like if you wanted to really play and not bitch cause you didn't take the time and check your skills with the learn command. Help files for skills are still there. Anyhow come test it out play like you want to stay.
26 Jul, 2009, Dean wrote in the 84th comment:
Dubstack said:
That egg is hide in that room you have to focus 'true' anyhow I'm asking people to beta test to find bugs and to show you I haven't posted to come play on my mud anywhere but here and only on this forum. lol You should just play for a day or so and really try to play like if you wanted to really play and not bitch cause you didn't take the time and check your skills with the learn command. Help files for skills are still there. Anyhow come test it out play like you want to stay.

A bit rich coming from you. I seem to remember not all that long ago, you were doing something similar despite having a fairly well detailed MUD school to walk through before hand (that you didn't even bother to read :rolleyes:) on DBAT. As for the egg thing, if memory serves correctly, that's just a room trigger that teleports someone when they say I. There is no invisible egg. :tongue:
26 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 85th comment:
Dubstack said:

You're not understanding me.

I will write in a simpler way.

This way you will understand.

Your mud is bad.

Your mud is not worth playing for any reason.

You are wrong to ask people to "beta test".

You are not in beta. You are in pre-alpha.

Get your mud in shape worth playing.

THEN ask for beta testers.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
26 Jul, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 86th comment:
Cratylus said:
Actually I don't expect any one color. I expect muds to understand my client has a

That's the thing that bugs me about Diku MUDs where people have used {x (clear color) in place of {w (dark white) assuming that all clients default to {w as their default color. I've pretty much always used zMUD, which has a {g (dark green) default, so I've countless times seen color horribly messed up in various games as a result of people supplying {x in place of {w.

Edited to add:
I also think that maybe we could stand to lighten up on the guy a bit. I think the things being said are obvious to everyone here, and if his MUD is really so terrible and unplayable, then no one will play it and it won't be around very long. If its worth playing, then people will play it. Things like this tend to take on a bit of a natural course (or even natural selection), and I equate a bit to how on TMC someone will post an absolutely terrible ad, then people jump on the guy for it. A terrible ad, a terrible MUD… these things will not attract players, at least not the type of players I imagine the rest of us would want anyway. I think everyone is basically wasting time and energy on all of this. I don't think anything that anyone is saying here is going to actually change anything, and the MUD will ultimately succeed or fail on its own merit.

But, that's my two cents.
26 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 87th comment:
Hades_Kane said:
I also think that maybe we could stand to lighten up on the guy a bit. I think the things being said are obvious to everyone here, and if his MUD is really so terrible and unplayable, then no one will play it and it won't be around very long. If its worth playing, then people will play it. Things like this tend to take on a bit of a natural course (or even natural selection), and I equate a bit to how on TMC someone will post an absolutely terrible ad, then people jump on the guy for it. A terrible ad, a terrible MUD… these things will not attract players, at least not the type of players I imagine the rest of us would want anyway. I think everyone is basically wasting time and energy on all of this. I don't think anything that anyone is saying here is going to actually change anything, and the MUD will ultimately succeed or fail on its own merit.

But, that's my two cents.

I agree, I'm starting to feel bad. I've thus far been driven by a sincere desire to
help the dude wake up to the realities we've all learned the hard way. I suppose
there's not much chance…but sometimes some people just…get me going.

O well.
26 Jul, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 88th comment:
Cratylus said:
I agree, I'm starting to feel bad. I've thus far been driven by a sincere desire to
help the dude wake up to the realities we've all learned the hard way. I suppose
there's not much chance…but sometimes some people just…get me going.

O well.

I certainly understand. I just think a lot of people have to learn things the hard way themselves.

I wish dubstack all the luck, and I think he's had quite an advantage a lot of other upstarts don't, what with the several threads dedicated to everyone trying to help him get started, numerous offers of help, and so on.

I think it says a lot, however, considering the fact that just last week he seemed determined to get a Final Fantasy MUD going and with all of the offers of help he had from learning the language to offers to help on existing projects… and this week he's got a DBZ MUD running.

Of course, this could all just be the most epic trolling ever.
26 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 89th comment:
Anyhow the coder said fuck that code, I said ok, I said I like dbz, he said me to, so we got this code and have been fixing it up. <–(hint; no more FF) You guys shouldn't be that hard on me. I did something none of you said I could get a mud working, Get a coder, have people beta test, keep running for more than week. I think I have meet all of those goals you said I couldn't do! So please your just bashing down something that will keep on growing and it will even eat you one day. Run like the Dinner you're going to be!
26 Jul, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 90th comment:
It's like human nature really. You know when you pass an automobile accident and you just have to look at it while you're slowly driving by? This is like that. I have to keep coming in here to see what Dubstack is going to say next.

Dubspeak said:
So please your just bashing down something that will keep on growing and it will even eat you one day. Run like the Dinner you're going to be!

This is great though. Classic. It makes it all worth it.

Maybe he is a troll, which to be honest, would make everything so much better still! Can't wait until we all get eaten by his mud
26 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 91st comment:
You call me a troll I played along lol
26 Jul, 2009, Guest wrote in the 92nd comment:
Cratylus said:
Samson said:
Anyone who plays MUDs with a white background expecting black text deserves to be soaked in "Unicorn Puke".

I guess you're going to be SOL on just about any Diku where it's often assumed the background will be black and color schemes are built around that. I have a feeling it dates back to actual terminals, who's screens were, you know, black. With green text. Hence why many clients use green text as a default (gack). I just can't see why anyone would deliberately choose to use a white background and then use that as an excuse to bash someone's MUD because they used colors that don't go well with white.
26 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 93rd comment:
Samson said:
I guess you're going to be SOL on just about any Diku where it's often assumed the background will be black and color schemes are built around that. .

Guess so.

Samson said:
I just can't see why anyone would deliberately choose to use a white background and then use that as an excuse to bash someone's MUD because they used colors that don't go well with white.

Who did that, exactly?

-Crat
26 Jul, 2009, Guest wrote in the 94th comment:
[Sat Jul 25 20:11:48 2009] [Server01:ichat] Kayle@MW: Wtf Crat, I can't read http://lpmuds.net/dubstack.jpg Why do you use a white background?
[Sat Jul 25 20:14:40 2009] [Server01:ichat] Cratylus@Dead_Souls_Dev: conscious choice, man

Seems to be you did, since you made a "conscious choice" and then bashed it by calling it "unicorn puke" when things didn't work out right.
26 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 95th comment:
Samson said:
[Sat Jul 25 20:11:48 2009] [Server01:ichat] Kayle@MW: Wtf Crat, I can't read http://lpmuds.net/dubstack.jpg Why do you use a white background?
[Sat Jul 25 20:14:40 2009] [Server01:ichat] Cratylus@Dead_Souls_Dev: conscious choice, man

Seems to be you did, since you made a "conscious choice" and then bashed it by calling it "unicorn puke" when things didn't work out right.

I think perhaps you've misunderstood what I wrote. I'll assume it's an
accidental misunderstanding on your part, and I'll try now to clarify.

I said:
1) Colors. Too much. Too random. Unicorn puke.

This has nothing to do with what default colors I use. This is
a statement about the way the mud looks regardless of default
color. It's a manic colorrhea that is distracting and I found
it to be too much.

I said:
2) User interface. Don't assume people use white text on black backgrounds.
I don't, and it makes some of the mud unreadable.

This is where I specify my disagreement with assuming white-on-black.
As you can see, there is no "bash" here. There is advice.

Samson said:
I just can't see why anyone would deliberately choose to use a white background and then use that as an excuse to bash someone's MUD because they used colors that don't go well with white.

It may well be that Dikus commonly set the display color to white,
rather than resetting it to "default" so that the user's client can
do what user clients are configured to do to suit their users. Maybe
that's fine in 99% of cases. I think it's better to have muds reset
to default rather than assume white is right. I don't think that's
especially controversial, nor did I express this opinion to dubstack
in a way that even slightly resembled a bash.

Whoever and whatever you're reacting to, clearly it isn't me and what I wrote.

-Crat
26 Jul, 2009, Guest wrote in the 96th comment:
Cratylus said:
It may well be that Dikus commonly set the display color to white,
rather than resetting it to "default" so that the user's client can
do what user clients are configured to do to suit their users. Maybe
that's fine in 99% of cases. I think it's better to have muds reset
to default rather than assume white is right. I don't think that's
especially controversial, nor did I express this opinion to dubstack
in a way that even slightly resembled a bash.

Well that's more of a technical issue with the color code that got slapped on top of the codebase he's using. Stock Dikus of old didn't even have color. Clear up to Rom. That was tacked on later by Lope and whoever else. It was technically broken then and remains so now but that's not the codebase maintainer's fault.

This is of course compounded by the fact that stock Smaug picked up on the same error and uses either white or grey to "reset" the terminal's text color. Something I eventually fixed in SmaugFUSS, so that now when a reset is called for, it performs an actual ANSI reset code.

Whoever and whatever you're reacting to, clearly it isn't me and what I wrote.

Except it was you and what you wrote, but you're not taking responsibility for the way it's being interpreted, that's fine, but at least own up to the fact that you said it and at least one person has stated as much, even if that person is me and you don't like it being pointed out. I got the impression from Kayle's comments that he also didn't understand the reason you used a white background. there may be others who thought the same, but perhaps they didn't feel like getting into a big fat argument over it either.
26 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 97th comment:
Samson said:
Except it was you and what you wrote, but you're not taking responsibility for the way it's being interpreted, that's fine, but at least own up to the fact that you said it and at least one person has stated as much, even if that person is me and you don't like it being pointed out..

I am confused. You want me to take responsibility for your misinterpretation?

I'm sorry Samson, but perhaps you've not been following this thread
with a particularly discerning eye. I have indeed separated the
two issues of defaultness and colorrhea. HK and Dean were both
able to discern the difference between the two. I was
very clear in what I wrote, and went so far as to give them
separate numbers
. If they are linked in your mind, it is
not due to any ambiguity in my prose.

-Crat
26 Jul, 2009, Guest wrote in the 98th comment:
Whatever you say. It's not worth dragging this out any further than it has been.
26 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 99th comment:
also…
26 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 100th comment:
80.0/227