25 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
Igabod said:
As for the rest of you guys with the jokes, that is all fine and dandy but not on someone's advertisement

I think you need to reassess your assumptions. People (with the
exception of runter) are reacting with bewilderment and good humor to
dubstack's bizarre statements. You're free to consider this a
normal promotion thread. I think that dubstack is so thoroughly
out of his depth and so impervious to helpful comments that
it almost doesn't matter what people post.

Almost.

It's one thing to goof around on a promotion thread (a normal
thing which is not some sort of moral violation). It's quite
another to be a belligerent dick as Runter has been. There isn't
a thing wrong with playful banter on a promotion thread. It
keeps it on the front page, it can elicit more participation
and positive outcomes than a stale "strictly on topic" thread would.

But there's no need to be openly bellicose unprovoked, and I do hope
Runter soon stops acting like Drizzt jr. and gets his manners on.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
25 Jul, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 42nd comment:
I do agree with Chris that its cool to see someone new that is into mudding.
Otherwise we would all grow old and if we didn't pass anything on we would be a bunch
of oldies talking about our glory days with our empty muds.

But Crat has a good point, he has not been responsive to any reasonable suggestions.
This alienates him from the community and any help from more experienced coders / builders. Personally, i find it hilarious that Dubstack wants to find builders when he changes ideas every 2 weeks! I mean, what if i was all ready to "build" for his FF mud???

Dubstack, you need to find a plan and stick with it, if you want builders, you have to present something original that is worth spending the hours it takes to "build" fun areas and not just reinvent the DBZ mud wheel.

For the most part, I really honestly (whether that was conveyed or not) hope that your mud is cool and that you can support your players with the gameplay they would expect to have.
25 Jul, 2009, Ssolvarain wrote in the 43rd comment:
My spellchecker just jumped off the right side of my monitor…

That can't be good.

/afk
25 Jul, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 44th comment:
just because someone hasn't taken the advice offered doesn't mean he/she isn't learning. Nor does it mean we should stop offering the good advice. Eventually dubstack will catch on and take some of this advice.

And I'm not saying that a little joking around is morally wrong or anything, I'm just saying that it's not a good thing to have a jokes to useful advice/info ratio that's so unbalanced. Especially with someone who is stubborn. Dubstack has shown interest in learning, and has shown a capacity to learn at least a little. So we, as the more experienced people, should offer him as much advice as we can so that he has a better chance at being a productive and successful member of our community. With more jokes than advice his chances are lowered.

This post isn't exactly advice and I'm reluctant to hit the reply button, but I'm hoping that he'll read this and take it as reassurance that the community wants him to succeed.
25 Jul, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 45th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
My spellchecker just jumped off the right side of my monitor…

That can't be good.

/afk

was that a slight at someones spelling? Or are you seriously having issues?
-Just curious.
25 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 46th comment:
Igabod said:
just because someone hasn't taken the advice offered doesn't mean he/she isn't learning. Nor does it mean we should stop offering the good advice. Eventually dubstack will catch on and take some of this advice.

And I'm not saying that a little joking around is morally wrong or anything, I'm just saying that it's not a good thing to have a jokes to useful advice/info ratio that's so unbalanced. Especially with someone who is stubborn. Dubstack has shown interest in learning, and has shown a capacity to learn at least a little. So we, as the more experienced people, should offer him as much advice as we can so that he has a better chance at being a productive and successful member of our community. With more jokes than advice his chances are lowered.

This post isn't exactly advice and I'm reluctant to hit the reply button, but I'm hoping that he'll read this and take it as reassurance that the community wants him to succeed.

I agree with you I read the web link you're helping little by little even if someone where to post a bad comment or tell me something in a mean way as long as it helps me in the long run they can suck an egg. lol Anyhow I'm working hard to get this mud built up to have at lease 5 player testers.

The host and port is below you should check it out see what you think there are tons of rooms to walk around and mobs to kill just say you got it from here when you log on and I will be more than happy to show you round and tell you what does what and who to kill
25 Jul, 2009, Runter wrote in the 47th comment:
I forgot to check back. :)

I'm not that much of a jerk. I was going to follow up with something else that makes it less jerkish.
25 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 48th comment:
Why don't you all just log on to my mud and check it out.
25 Jul, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 49th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
Maybe upstart was the wrong word, parvenu perhaps? Leave me alone grammar nazi's, I know your coming!

That should be Nazis. The apostrophe before the 's' denotes a possessive form of the noun.

http://www.amazon.com/Eats-Shoots-Leaves...
25 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 50th comment:
Anyhow I like to hire a few builder to help me with my mud if anyone is willing to learn to build I will teach them. host and port are at the bottom
25 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 51st comment:
Dubstack said:
if anyone is willing to learn to build I will teach them

Wait what?
25 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 52nd comment:
David Haley said:
Dubstack said:

Wait what?

If anyone is willing to learn circle building I will teach them if they will work on my mud for me.
25 Jul, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 53rd comment:
Dubstack said:
David Haley said:
Dubstack said:

Wait what?

If anyone is willing to learn circle building I will teach them if they will work on my mud for me.

I think David is alluding to the fact that 2 weeks ago you said you didn't know how to code but were looking for someone to learn off…

The "wait… what??" was surprise that you are now going to start teaching others.. actually, wtf? Did you do some sort of speed programming course or something?

[EDIT btw i did log in, but I don't really know much about your type of mud to be of much critical help, although it obviously works :D]
25 Jul, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 54th comment:
flumpy said:
Dubstack said:
David Haley said:
Dubstack said:

Wait what?

I think David is alluding to the fact that 2 weeks ago you said you didn't know how to code but were looking for someone to learn off…

The "wait… what??" was surprise that you are now going to start teaching others.. actually, wtf? Did you do some sort of speed programming course or something?

[EDIT btw i did log in, but I don't really know much about your type of mud to be of much critical help, although it obviously works :D]

Coding != Building.
25 Jul, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 55th comment:
I'll second Lobotomy on that one, he might be the most amazing builder in the world for all we know. As long as he keeps an editor on hand.
25 Jul, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 56th comment:
Lobotomy said:
Coding != Building.

good point well made..
25 Jul, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 57th comment:
I hope his editor has a spell check. lol, just harmless banter!
but seriously, this is the Promotions and Recruitments thread isn't it?
for what its worth he's just trying to promote his mud, he's not posting these comments for us.

But, that brings up a concern, it seems that no one is posting that doesn't already know how to program muds, let alone anyone that doesn't already know how to build. I hate to say it, but isn't the mud community mostly coders / builders anyway?
25 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 58th comment:
staryavsky said:
I hope his editor has a spell check. lol, just harmless banter!
but seriously, this is the Promotions and Recruitments thread isn't it?
for what its worth he's just trying to promote his mud, he's not posting these comments for us.

But, that brings up a concern, it seems that no one is posting that doesn't already know how to program muds, let alone anyone that doesn't already know how to build. I hate to say it, but isn't the mud community mostly coders / builders anyway?

Well yeah I knew how to build smaug be for I knew how to mud, well play a mud. Anyhow I just want you all to log on tell me when you do I will write your name down I want you all to come see it. Play for 1 hour if you hate tell me I will post your name and what you said. But till everyone plays it and see it a good mud you will have no idea what I was made of. <—-Not being mean. Just come log on the host and port is down below! Make sure to tell me if you come from this forum cause I want to get you feed back from what you see.
25 Jul, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 59th comment:
I'm sorry, but I think that you misunderstood my post.
As where I do want to be encouraging to you and your efforts, I don't see the
advantage of having senior, or junior developers for that matter log in to your stock project and tell you this or that. You shouldn't care what coders think of your mud. I believe others have stated in your previous FF mud thread that if you wanted help learning programming, very generous members of this forum offered to teach you. if you want to collect some do's / don'ts from experts (not including myself as an 'expert') that's a great way to learn and grow your knowledge. If you just want to prove a point, IMO you're just going to hit your head against the wall.
25 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 60th comment:
Naw its aint like that I was just saying its not a stock code anymore kind but we are slowly changing it Basic helpfiles are still in a few building area need to finish off than the rest is makeup and what not log on Host and port is at the bottom
40.0/227