16 Jul, 2009, Kelvin wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
I saw this out on the intarweb at one point and thought it was amusing (and true):
Useless programmers complain about indentation in Python. Those same programmers complain about semicolons in C.

I will say that the Forestry department here teaches Python to Forestry students in the GIS field. Mind you, these students have never wrote a line of code beforehand, and end up doing some pretty neat stuff. If some of the people in our Forestry department are learning and putting Python to great use, I'm positive that your semi-intelligent (at least) builders can figure it out :)

It's all a matter of preference. I really like the enforced indentation, but it's a matter of preference and no one philosophy will ever be "right". Let's not get into a holy war here.
16 Jul, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 22nd comment:
David Haley said:
By the way, the parser is most certainly not the thing that is indenting the code. The parser is the thing using indentation to understand where blocks start and stop.

The sub discussion is about a parser reading a script from file.. read closely.. and then the parser writing the script back to file.. read carefully.. most scripting languages do not provide this functionality.. thank you for your time.
16 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 23rd comment:
Many scripting languages provide that functionality; I'm not sure why you think they don't. The point is that in general automatic indentation of Python source code is impossible. If you already have the source code in a parse tree, then obviously the question of what goes in which block is moot, because … you have the parse tree. If you were exclusively talking about doing this from a parse tree, it would have been a little bit helpful to make that clear, because obviously the other people in the discussion did not understand what you meant given how you phrased it. "thank you for your time", indeed!
16 Jul, 2009, Kelvin wrote in the 24th comment:
Of course if you want to use braces in Python, just do this:
from __future__ import braces
16 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 25th comment:
Nice easter egg. :smile:
20.0/25