29 Jun, 2009, Banner wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
How does the skills system work in SMAUG 1.9 FUSS? It appears to be different from SWR's to the effect that more than one class can share a skill. How do you add a skill and is it possible to make it so only one class can have said skill? Basically, I'm wanting to make it like SWR's without having to recode/add in SWR's. To outline my specific problems:

1) I tried adding a skill. I added the gsn's to mud.h and db.c, and added the skill ingame using sset and saved and hotbooted, but it did not appear in any slist table. How do I fix this?

2) Can I make a skill and give it to classa but restrict classb from using it? I noticed that most skills can be acquired by all classes at different levels.

Thanks in advance!
29 Jun, 2009, Metsuro wrote in the 2nd comment:
From what I think, skills are set to a class. So if you wanted to give several classes a skill you could do so without problem. My biggest thing is I kinda wanna pull away from classes and have certain skill groups/types and then other factors will play into which skills a player can get, I'd also like players to be able to find scrolls/books that can teach any skill to them regardless of skill group/type or the other factors.
29 Jun, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 3rd comment:
You'll need to use setclass to give the skill to a class before it will be on any slists.

Classes acquire skills at various levels, but not all of them get all skills. Circle and Backstab for instance are thief specific skills that only the thief (strictly speaking of stock) can get. This is all handled through the setclass command.
29 Jun, 2009, Banner wrote in the 4th comment:
Kayle said:
You'll need to use setclass to give the skill to a class before it will be on any slists.

Classes acquire skills at various levels, but not all of them get all skills. Circle and Backstab for instance are thief specific skills that only the thief (strictly speaking of stock) can get. This is all handled through the setclass command.
So you are saying I could create a new class/group of classes and give them all set skills that the other classes could not get, like SWR?
29 Jun, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 5th comment:
Yes. A class will only receive a skill that you set on it with the setclass command.
29 Jun, 2009, Banner wrote in the 6th comment:
How would I add new classes? Do I still need to add the defines in mud.h?

Also, after adding a skill 'navigation' to 'warrior', slookup returns:

<27hp 104m 110mv> <#1200> Sn:  171 Slot:    0 Skill: 'navigation          '
Saves: none SaveEffect: none
Type: Skill Target: ignore Minpos: 0 Mana: 0 Beats: 0 Range: 0
Flags: 0 Guild: -1 Value: 0 Info: 0 Code: spell_null
Sectors Allowed: All
Dammsg:
Wearoff: (none set)
————————–[CLASS USE]————————–
Mag) lvl: 51 max: 95% Cle) lvl: 51 max: 95% Thi) lvl: 51 max: 95%
War) lvl: 0 max: 0% Vam) lvl: 51 max: 95% Dru) lvl: 51 max: 95%
Ran) lvl: 51 max: 95% Aug) lvl: 51 max: 95% Pal) lvl: 51 max: 95%

Does this mean that the other classes are restricted or something?
29 Jun, 2009, Metsuro wrote in the 7th comment:
Its telling you which classes are set to have that skill. You now need to edit what level the skill is gained, and the max they can learn it to. Since they are both 0.
29 Jun, 2009, Banner wrote in the 8th comment:
Metsuro said:
Its telling you which classes are set to have that skill. You now need to edit what level the skill is gained, and the max they can learn it to. Since they are both 0.
In that case, it's saying they all have it when I set it on only one.
29 Jun, 2009, Metsuro wrote in the 9th comment:
Is this a new skill, or a stock still?
29 Jun, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 10th comment:
Anything over level 51 is an Immortal. Immortals get all skills no matter what. So anytime a class has a skill over level 51, no player will ever see that skill. Unless you make them an Immortal. Adding a class can be done completely within the mud, but if you want to address them in the code, then yes, you'll need to add defines to mud.h. the defines will need to be in the same order as the classes are in the game though. It should be something like setclass <classname> create to make a class. Also note that spaces in class names aren't recommended because it breaks the way the files are saved.

Sidenote: You probably want to make sure you set the skill to have a higher adept percent than 0%. I *believe* that 'setclass warrior skill navigation 1 95' will set the navigation skill on the warrior class so that they get it at level 1, and can get it up to 95%. But I could be wrong and have the numbers backwards. You'll want to check the helpfiles and code to be sure of the ordering.
29 Jun, 2009, Banner wrote in the 11th comment:
Kayle said:
Anything over level 51 is an Immortal. Immortals get all skills no matter what. So anytime a class has a skill over level 51, no player will ever see that skill. Unless you make them an Immortal. Adding a class can be done completely within the mud, but if you want to address them in the code, then yes, you'll need to add defines to mud.h. the defines will need to be in the same order as the classes are in the game though. It should be something like setclass <classname> create to make a class. Also note that spaces in class names aren't recommended because it breaks the way the files are saved.

Sidenote: You probably want to make sure you set the skill to have a higher adept percent than 0%. I *believe* that 'setclass warrior skill navigation 1 95' will set the navigation skill on the warrior class so that they get it at level 1, and can get it up to 95%. But I could be wrong and have the numbers backwards. You'll want to check the helpfiles and code to be sure of the ordering.

Ah, this is the explanation I was looking for and it seems this system will suit my needs. Much appreciation.
29 Jun, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 12th comment:
This system is a huge step up from the one in SWR, I've been considering lately updating SWRFUSS to use some of the better aspects of SmaugFUSS, the OLC Classes and Races for example. And there were some others too, but it would seriously break some snippet compatibility and I didn't want to do that to the already fragile SWR community.
29 Jun, 2009, Banner wrote in the 13th comment:
Well, I was putting a few skills into SMAUG from SWR and had some trouble figuring out how the code worked, then I couldn't get the skills to work, but now that I'm beginning to understand it, I like it much better.
29 Jun, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 14th comment:
Yeah, it's a lot different then SWR, but overall it's a much better system. Also, since this is drifting away from the topic, if you'd like to discuss this further on IMC I'm all ears. And bored to boot.
0.0/14