09 Jun, 2009, Skol wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Yeah, here and I thought my room volume, exit size change was nifty heh.
The more I learn… well you know the rest ;p.

Ah crap I think I just figured out the issue with setting aside 'rooms'. (Thinking outloud) Ok, so we don't create the actual room until someone looks inside/enters, if someone leaves items within, the room then stays but otherwise when the last person leaves the room… burn it down. With that approach, you might set aside a few hundred 'rooms' and call it good (with a safety catch and perhaps room 'age' to vape older ones if someone left something in a room a week ago).

Just thinking outloud, but does that sound about right?

Again, trying to make something that people can patch onto RoM/RaM, I'd like to release it after we've all had our say on things and such.
09 Jun, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 22nd comment:
KaVir said:
The first treats buildings as rooms (you enter the house by walking north), the second treats them as objects within rooms (you enter the house by climbing inside it). You can't really do both at the same time for the same building.

David Haley said:
I still don't see why you can't do both. Some buildings will be entered by walking into them. Others can have rooms within rooms, like a crate inside a room. I'm not sure why these are radically different models.

Sure, but note the emphasis in the text I quoted from my previous post. You can certainly have a house that you enter by typing 'north', and a tent that you enter by typing 'enter tent', but you should choose one or the other for a particular type of container. I'd find it rather confusing to type 'enter house', then 'south', and find myself back where I started.

David Haley said:
In fact, as soon as you generalize rooms to be things that hold other things, you quickly find that a container (backpack) can be represented as a room that has a limited size.

I derive everything from a Thing base class. It lets me do things like this:

2894/2894 (2420)> get tower
You get the black knight's tower from the gravel.

2894/2894 (2420)> eat tower
You bite the black knight's tower, but it doesn't seem edible.

2894/2894 (2420)> drop tower
You drop the black knight's tower on the gravel.

2894/2894 (2420)> make monster rat
A brown rat scuttles out of a nearby hole.

2894/2894 (2420)> wave hello
You wave hello.

2894/2894 (2420)>
A brown rat bites at your nightmare's front left hoof.
Your nightmare rears up, avoiding its bite.

2894/2894 (2420)> get rat
Your nightmare's hooves drop back to the gravel.
You get a brown rat from the gravel.

2894/2894 (2420)> wield rat
You clutch a brown rat in your right hand.

2894/2894 (2420)> target tower
You target the black knight's tower.

2894/2894 (2320)> rs
You swing your brown rat at the black knight's tower by its tail.
Your brown rat fails to damage the black knight's tower.

2894/2894 (2420)> remove rat
You tuck away a brown rat.

2894/2894 (2420)> eat rat
You cram a brown rat into your mouth and start chewing.

2894/2894 (2420)>
You throw up violently, spraying the black knight's tower with vomit and chunks of flesh.
09 Jun, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 23rd comment:
KaVir said:
Sure, but note the emphasis in the text I quoted from my previous post. You can certainly have a house that you enter by typing 'north', and a tent that you enter by typing 'enter tent', but you should choose one or the other for a particular type of container. I'd find it rather confusing to type 'enter house', then 'south', and find myself back where I started.

Oh. Well, ok, I wasn't meaning to talk about doing the same for the same thing, although I can picture applications where it'd be appropriate. For instance, a portal could be entered, bringing you to a building, that you could also have entered by walking into it normally.

KaVir said:
You swing your brown rat at the black knight's tower by its tail.
Your brown rat fails to damage the black knight's tower.

OK, I laughed. :lol:
10 Jun, 2009, Skol wrote in the 24th comment:
As far as 'enter' vs compass type directions, I did one thing that made them more similar. Enter command (normally for portals) also works for rooms via the room name, so someone south of a store can type 'enter store' or type north. Then, any portals in the room show up in the 'obvious' exits (autoexit) as well. That, combined with a 'leave' command (for rooms with one exit, or with an argument to 'leave south' etc) makes enter/leave, or just directions work very similarly.

When I was doing the enter store change it was primarily aimed at new players who weren't used to simply typing north (also added 'walk/go' as commands for the same reason).
20.0/24