01 Jun, 2009, Kline wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
KaVir said:
My other question would be why, exactly, you plan to reinvent the wheel.

Well, take a look at the Static Chaos/Chaosium base. Specifically this portion of a (probably) outdated MUD listing: http://www.mudconnect.com/muds/Static_Re...
If you never played Static Chaos, it is a custom Godwars style MUD, but not built from any Godwars base. It was built from scratch with Merc 2.2 as a base, and heavily modified by Alathon.

Although it doesn't answer the question of why reinvent the wheel, he's not the first to go down that road, particularly with GodWars. Some may like the challenge or find "removing what they don't want" more daunting than "adding in what they do". That, or in mayhem's instance, some just prefer already knowing where to find the things they want in a certain code flavor :).
01 Jun, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 22nd comment:
I don't understand why people think it makes much sense to say "build from scratch starting from XYZ". That's kind of a self-defeating statement, like saying "a completely original work derived from XYZ".
02 Jun, 2009, Brinson wrote in the 23rd comment:
What baffles me is that the few who do start from scratch usually fail to do anything truly innovative. They just find it fun to reinvent the wheel.
02 Jun, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 24th comment:
Brinson said:
What baffles me is that the few who do start from scratch usually fail to do anything truly innovative. They just find it fun to reinvent the wheel.

Starting from scratch doesn't inherently make a mud any more or less innovative - as I've said in the past, the only thing it guarantees is more work. So your statement might be better phrased as "those who develop muds usually fail to do anything truly innovative".

But then you need to consider what exactly is meant by "innovation". Different doesn't always mean better, but it does mean a bigger learning curve for existing mudders. Now personally I'm a big fan of breaking the mould and trying new approaches, but I strongly feel that such approaches (and their impact) should be very carefully considered.

So I guess I would sum up my view as: Don't fall into the trap of assuming that your mud will be innovative just because it's written from scratch, and don't make changes purely for the sake of being different.
02 Jun, 2009, mayhem666 wrote in the 25th comment:
i completely agree with kavir… i'm not trying to re-invent godwars just trying to level the playing field from my point of view… godwars is already a great game … i just feel as tho with the already great codebase… my knowledge of code with circlemud and the flavor of imagination i carry will break ground and create something usual.. but original…
20.0/25