30 May, 2009, mayhem666 wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
whats up all… like the message says im starting from scratch building from dikumud derivative circle 3.1 and im going to attempt to recreate a godwars like scematic with full pk and class priveledges… im currently seeking coders builders staff and many other different types people to join me on my journey… no need to worry about mud closure which most of do.. i run my own linux system and i am also looking to in the future hosting muds and creating an enviroment for the mud world.
i just want to say i don't play around with this.. im not stict but i like to get stuff done.. i will be doing alot of coding and im looking for assistance in helping me building the exterior of the mud..

heres a list of the positions availible…

Assistant Implementor. I.E coders and builder babysitters
coders. which will be entirely enviromental.. code from home send me the update and lets work…
builders. please have an imagination… i hate bogus descriptions
general staff. if you think you just want to come hang out then come, im always up for people willing to learn

right now im running ip which sucks but im waiting to create my domain which will happen soon i promice…. check me out..

192.168.2.3 4000

or email me powerlesstoyou@yahoo.com

thanks a bunch… Mike Ryan
30 May, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
First off, that IP is a local IP for your network.

Secondly, "starting from scratch" is not using Circle. It makes it sound like you would ignore the licenses.
30 May, 2009, Kline wrote in the 3rd comment:
I'm still trying to figure out how
i run my own linux system and i am also looking to in the future hosting muds and creating an enviroment for the mud world.
allowed
right now im running ip … 192.168.2.3 400
to happen.
30 May, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 4th comment:
I'm sure typing "ifconfig" on the console does indeed report the private IP address of the linux system he's running. I'm equally sure finding the external IP that the cable modem (or DSL line) gave the linksys/netgear/whatever router is a pain in the rear. I suspect, starting "from scratch" with CircleMUD is probably going to prove less satisfying than simply starting from the Godwars platform he's attempting to recreate, for reasons unknown.
30 May, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
I'm equally sure finding the external IP that the cable modem (or DSL line) gave the linksys/netgear/whatever router is a pain in the rear.

Actually if you have a router like that, they all have http interfaces that make it extremely easy to find out what its external IP is.
30 May, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 6th comment:
David Haley said:
I'm equally sure finding the external IP that the cable modem (or DSL line) gave the linksys/netgear/whatever router is a pain in the rear.

Actually if you have a router like that, they all have http interfaces that make it extremely easy to find out what its external IP is.

http://whatismyip.net
31 May, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 7th comment:
He's running on a private IP without realizing it *IS* a private IP. He's running everything as root, as his choice of port number 400 shows. I think such an http interface might not be so easy. :wink:
31 May, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
Well, he's running on port 4000, not port 400, and going to 192.168.1.1 doesn't sound too terribly hard to me, but, eh…
31 May, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 9th comment:
Ah, Kline quoted it as 400. I bet he's running as root anyways. *grin*
31 May, 2009, Kline wrote in the 10th comment:
Oops! My bad on copy/paste fail!

But either way…I (mistakenly?) went with the "stereotype" that most "Linux users" are of at least above average computer knowledge. Such as differentiating an internal/external IP. That and saying you have plans to start a hosting service….While not making that, IMO, most basic distinction, seems to be polar opposites.
31 May, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 11th comment:
quixadhal said:
Ah, Kline quoted it as 400. I bet he's running as root anyways. *grin*

Ubuntu seems to try to wrap cushy padding around everything by making
the "first user" be non-root but with sudo acess…which always struck me as
a bit weird since this doesn't actually prevent disaster as much as it makes
newbies prefix every command with "sudo".

I'm inclined to think of OP as some kind of bait. I refuse to believe
this sort of post still develops naturally in the wild. It hits almost
every box in the checklist.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
31 May, 2009, Kline wrote in the 12th comment:
Cratylus said:
Ubuntu seems to try to wrap cushy padding around everything by making
the "first user" be non-root but with sudo acess…which always struck me as
a bit weird since this doesn't actually prevent disaster as much as it makes
newbies prefix every command with "sudo".

This drove me crazy when I first loaded Xubuntu on my laptop a few months ago, never having used anything but Debian or Red Hat before. I never use sudo. It annoys me. I prefer to su, do what I need, and exit. So it was a short experience having to "correct" the "Ubuntu way" on my laptop.
31 May, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 13th comment:
It's easy enough to sudo bash if you have a long sequence of commands to issue.
31 May, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 14th comment:
sudo su
31 May, 2009, Skol wrote in the 15th comment:
sudo make me a sandwich
31 May, 2009, Banner wrote in the 16th comment:
Skol said:
sudo make me a sandwich

Hey! *points at sig*
0.0/16