01 May, 2009, basil wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hi
I was trying to use the offline editor in Mordor Mud to change a users pasword or HP (I forget which).

After completing the action, and returning to the menu, it gave an error of "Segmentation Fault".

Could anyone suggest a fix please?

Basil
01 May, 2009, Banner wrote in the 2nd comment:
You're going to need to post a gdb log before anything can be done.
02 May, 2009, basil wrote in the 3rd comment:
I'll look deeper in the logs. As an aside - I see my logs all show date of Sunday_May_19_11:57:59_2002.
How do I tell Mordor to run with current time?
02 May, 2009, Kline wrote in the 4th comment:
Most games use the time of whatever server they're running on.
02 May, 2009, Banner wrote in the 5th comment:
basil said:
I'll look deeper in the logs. As an aside - I see my logs all show date of Sunday_May_19_11:57:59_2002.
How do I tell Mordor to run with current time?

You can't get a gdb log like that. You should have a core file in your area directory, which you can examine from the area directory with gdb ../srcpath/executable core (meaning the path to your source and the game''s executable, maybe ../src/mordor core), then go from there.

Debugging with GDB by Nick Gammon
02 May, 2009, basil wrote in the 6th comment:
Thanks - hadn't heard of GDB. I'll find some info and learn how to run it. I'm a Linux noob - so I'll search for some basic stuff and post what I find.

Thank you.
02 May, 2009, Malek Kervanes wrote in the 7th comment:
that link he gave you has some EXCELLENT information on getting started with GDB. It's been a few years since I messed around with MUD coding, but that site got back to debugging (something I suck at ANYWAY) somewhat efficiently
12 May, 2009, basil wrote in the 8th comment:
I've since learnt, that on Mordor, segmentation faults occur when a noob (me) tries to access memory that's not yet allocated.

I was trying to use the editor for things not created in memory.

Thanks for your help tho fellas.
12 May, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 9th comment:
basil said:
I've since learnt, that on Mordor, segmentation faults occur when a noob (me) tries to access memory that's not yet allocated.

I was trying to use the editor for things not created in memory.

And that's a bug, because nothing a user does (*ESPECIALLY* noobs) should be capable of crashing the app.
0.0/9