22 Apr, 2009, Banner wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
David Haley said:
/var/log is where most logs go. It'll be in there somewhere…
Already checked that, there is no php error log.
22 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 42nd comment:
Well, it might be in the http server logs too. Failing that, you'll have to look at your lighttpd/fastcgi config files or documentation to see where the logs go.

You could also try running things on the command line and seeing what gets printed.
22 Apr, 2009, Banner wrote in the 43rd comment:
Script:
swgi-server:/var/log# cat /var/www/testmail.php
<?php
$to = "shoie13@gmail.com";
$subject = "Hi!";
$body = "Hi,\n\nHow are you?";
if (mail($to, $subject, $body)) {
echo("<p>Message successfully sent!</p>");
} else {
echo("<p>Message delivery failed…</p>");
}
?>
swgi-server:/var/log#

Output:
swgi-server:/var/log# php5 /var/www/testmail.php
<p>Message successfully sent!</p>swgi-server:/var/log#

It said failed when I visted the link in my browser but it thinks it sends it from the command line, although I never actually got the email.
22 Apr, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 44th comment:
You never got the email when you ran that in the shell?

Then it's probably getting blacklisted somewhere. Happened to me before.

First, do the test on the local server. To and from a local user.
22 Apr, 2009, Banner wrote in the 45th comment:
Zeno said:
You never got the email when you ran that in the shell?

Then it's probably getting blacklisted somewhere. Happened to me before.

First, do the test on the local server. To and from a local user.

Send it to shoie13@localhost for example? And it should go ti /var/mail/shoie13?
22 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 46th comment:
Send it to whatever your user name is, and it'll go to /var/mail/username
22 Apr, 2009, Banner wrote in the 47th comment:
I found part of the problem, exim4 was uninstalled and sendmail was installed over that, so I removed sendmail and put exim4 back. Then it wouldn't let me send email to other domains, si I configured exim4 for that. Now, I can send email out to my gmail account and local account with the php command, but if I visit the php script in the browser, it fails. Also, sending email to my domain and it never gets there. I've checked /var/log/exim4 and it reported successully sending my emails when they went to localhost and the domain, but there was no log as to why visiting the script in the browser failed or why it didn't receive email.

EDIT: I think the problem is that exim4 is configured to send email, but not receive it.. how is that done?
23 Apr, 2009, Banner wrote in the 48th comment:
Dovecot and Postfix FTW.
23 Apr, 2009, Banner wrote in the 49th comment:
… Okay, this is sort of weird. I got Dovecot and Postfix installed, and sent a test email from my swgi.org domain to my shoie13@gmail.com account. Someone replied to that email from my shoie13@gmail.com email and sent it back to my swgi.org email, which I replied to, and then they again replied to. Is it possible my mail server is somehow unsecure and someone got into my gmail email..? How else could I be getting emails from myself that I didn't send?
23 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 50th comment:
What kind of replies are you talking about? Maybe somebody guessed your password; maybe you have a typo in the email address. Your mail server has nothing to do with people being able to log into your gmail account.
23 Apr, 2009, Banner wrote in the 51st comment:
I didn't typo the email and I doubt my account was compromised. I checked the account history and I was the only one to access it. The weird thing is that the emails were in my sent folder on gmail but they were sent several hours before I got them.

I sent an email to gmail from swgi at 6:30pm saying hi, how are you? Then at 9:30pm, I got an email (that I didn't send) from my gmail saying who is this? I couldn't find that one in my gmail sent folder. I replied asking "who is THIS?", to which it replied at 10:30pm saying "Bob", and I found that in my gmail folder saying it was sent at 3:30am.
23 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 52nd comment:
Maybe gmail is having a problem on their end. As I said, your VPS's mail server is completely irrelevant as far as your gmail account access is concerned. You could have the most insecure email server ever and it wouldn't make a difference for your gmail, assuming that you have different passwords.
Talk to gmail support about it I guess.
23 Apr, 2009, Banner wrote in the 53rd comment:
Passwords are different and both secure, so I will email Gmail I guess. Thank ya much, David.
26 Apr, 2009, Kjwah wrote in the 54th comment:
Fizban said:
tphegley said:
I will say that Linode is $20 bucks a month for your own server. It has very good service and you pretty much have free reign to do what you want. If it's just for your own mud then you will have way more then you need, but it's still nice.

I second the Linode suggestion. Very happy with my Linode 720 (though probably not the pricing you're looking for on that package…).

Thirded lol
26 Apr, 2009, Banner wrote in the 55th comment:
What is the download/upload speed of Linode's first tier of service?
26 Apr, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 56th comment:
Banner said:
I didn't typo the email and I doubt my account was compromised. I checked the account history and I was the only one to access it. The weird thing is that the emails were in my sent folder on gmail but they were sent several hours before I got them.

I sent an email to gmail from swgi at 6:30pm saying hi, how are you? Then at 9:30pm, I got an email (that I didn't send) from my gmail saying who is this? I couldn't find that one in my gmail sent folder. I replied asking "who is THIS?", to which it replied at 10:30pm saying "Bob", and I found that in my gmail folder saying it was sent at 3:30am.

Oh.
My.
God.

It's Skynet!
26 Apr, 2009, Banner wrote in the 57th comment:
Hades_Kane said:
Banner said:

Oh.
My.
God.

It's Skynet!

What?
26 Apr, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 58th comment:
30 Apr, 2009, Banner wrote in the 59th comment:
Does anyone know the upload/download speed of a Linode Tier 1 server or not?
40.0/59