12 Mar, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 61st comment:
Votes: 0
Hmm so after doing some research it appears as if he ACTUALLY DID invent YouTube, but then 'gifted' it to someone else who coded it, then requested 1% of the 1.6 billion dollar sale to Google.
12 Mar, 2010, Runter wrote in the 62nd comment:
jurdendurden said:
Hmm so after doing some research it appears as if he ACTUALLY DID invent YouTube, but then 'gifted' it to someone else who coded it, then requested 1% of the 1.6 billion dollar sale to Google.

Proof or I call shenanigans.
12 Mar, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 63rd comment:
Ya know, I can't find any DEFINITIVE proof. The closest thing I can find is…. here, under the former people section on the left.

EDIT: About 50% of what I'm finding is saying he's lying, and about the other half is giving truth to what he says. *shrug*
12 Mar, 2010, Runter wrote in the 64th comment:
jurdendurden said:
Ya know, I can't find any DEFINITIVE proof. The closest thing I can find is…. here, under the former people section on the left.

EDIT: About 50% of what I'm finding is saying he's lying, and about the other half is giving truth to what he says. *shrug*

On his blog or whatever? Sadly, I don't believe it. :p

He's kinda proven himself to be full of lies. Most of us just laugh at his name in passing now. He probably derives some strange pleasure that anyone actually would take his claims serious for even 2 seconds. I know I never do.

He should just go change the wikipedia entry for the internet to reflect he invented that too.
12 Mar, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 65th comment:
Lol in this video at the end he claims to have named Vista as well, and he also takes credit for all major companies on the west coast.
12 Mar, 2010, Blinx wrote in the 66th comment:
KaVir said:
Blinx said:
So the only way to find out, is to go for it and see what happens?

I mean. They (the original DIKU development team) spared Herbert Gilliland, after all.

What sort of reputation do you think Herbert has in the mud community?

Is that sort of reputation you'd like?

Hell! No!

Mr "Youtube and BitTorrent were my ideas" did a lot more to ruin his "reputation", though.

And I honestly didn't know about Diku II. Might have to do some research on that. I hope it's as good as SmaugFuss.

PS:I think you guys get a slightly wrong picture of me. I won't cry over some bucks. However, it would be nice if I could make some money with it (poor college student here) someday ("someday" might be as far in the future as 10 years).
12 Mar, 2010, Blinx wrote in the 67th comment:
jurdendurden said:

Ya know.

That's actually funny.

You just fell for a pretty obvious joke, laid by the author of Crunchbase.

Herbert's Crunchbase "profile":

Early digital video entrepreneur, who claims to have laid the groundwork for YouTube, drawing on his experience both in the digital video realm, and from disc jockeying and audio engineering. Herb has appeared vicariously in the games Fallout 3, and the Final Fantasy series as Locke his original handle from his hobbyist days as a developer of Merc/Diku multi-user games.

Herb is an Interaction Designer based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and is the current CTO of PickPark, a social networking website for entrepreneurs.

http://www.crunchbase.com/person/herbert...

bolded part = :lol:
12 Mar, 2010, Runter wrote in the 68th comment:
Blinx said:
PS:I think you guys get a slightly wrong picture of me. I won't cry over some bucks. However, it would be nice if I could make some money with it (poor college student here) someday ("someday" might be as far in the future as 10 years).

Nothing wrong with wanting to make money off of your hard work. You just need to find a license that is more fitting if the diku one is not.
12 Mar, 2010, Blinx wrote in the 69th comment:
Runter said:
Blinx said:

Nothing wrong with wanting to make money off of your hard work. You just need to find a license that is more fitting if the diku one is not.

Well. My real problem is that I don't know too much about the other code-bases. I need a code-base that's easy to handle, written in C or C++ and doesn't make it overly complex to integrate graphical content.

If everything else fails, I can still resort to my own, original code-base I began in Dark Basic, some years prior. However, that probably isn't the best choice, as far as compatibility, reliability and performance is concerned.
12 Mar, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 70th comment:
Blinx said:
jurdendurden said:

Ya know.

That's actually funny.

Early digital video entrepreneur, who claims to have laid the groundwork for YouTube, drawing on his experience both in the digital video realm, and from disc jockeying and audio engineering. Herb has appeared vicariously in the games Fallout 3, and the Final Fantasy series as Locke his original handle from his hobbyist days as a developer of Merc/Diku multi-user games.

Herb is an Interaction Designer based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and is the current CTO of PickPark, a social networking website for entrepreneurs.

Um… I'm not sure what you mean about how I fell for a joke in the bolded part of the text since I never even mentioned that in anything I posted?
12 Mar, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 71st comment:
jurdendurden said:
Locke. He basically tried to claim credit for OLC all on his own when someone else clearly wrote most of it then died

It seems very likely that he was involved in some way in the OLC that has since found its way into many modern Diku muds. However he's also tried to claim credit for a lot of things that we know he had nothing to do with (such as features that long predate his, features he's copied verbatim from other people, etc - I even caught him editing a wiki to insert a claim about some of my features being based on his).

This makes it very difficult to separate fact from fiction, so when he started demanding that any mud using OLC needed to add the line "Based on NiMUD by Locke and Surreal" to their login screen, it caused a fair degree of confusion. The fact that Locke outright refuses to follow the Diku licence himself didn't help the situation much, either.

Blinx said:
Well. My real problem is that I don't know too much about the other code-bases. I need a code-base that's easy to handle, written in C or C++ and doesn't make it overly complex to integrate graphical content.

Try downloading a few and have a play. The only feature-rich codebase I'm aware of without licensing restrictions is CoffeeMUD, written in Java, but I'm sure there must be more of them out there.
12 Mar, 2010, Blinx wrote in the 72nd comment:
jurdendurden said:
Blinx said:
jurdendurden said:

Ya know.

That's actually funny.

Um… I'm not sure what you mean about how I fell for a joke in the bolded part of the text since I never even mentioned that in anything I posted?

Sorry. Should've made it clearer.

The team information was put there as a joke, as far as Mr IOwnEverything is concerned.
That's why they granted him the rather unusual title of an inventor, while all the others listed in the team section have been listened with their appropriate job description.

@KaVir

Coffeemud doesn't seem to support graphics and sound. Two things I feel are important to express my ideas.
12 Mar, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 73rd comment:
Blinx said:
Coffeemud doesn't seem to support graphics and sound. Two things I feel are important to express my ideas.

Why are you looking at MUD codebases again? (No, seriously… graphics aren't exactly a common item on MUD feature lists…)
12 Mar, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 74th comment:
OIC :P Yeah at first I was like… whatever, then I googled it and a couple sites (wiki answers for one) had him as the inventor, but yeah, after just a little more digging it's pretty obvious that he's a ridiculous liar :P
12 Mar, 2010, Blinx wrote in the 75th comment:
David Haley said:
Blinx said:

Why are you looking at MUD codebases again? (No, seriously… graphics aren't exactly a common item on MUD feature lists…)

I know it's not common. That's why I was happy to rely on SmaugFuss.

I actually envision something similar to those old offline text-adventures. The Hobbit was one of my favourite text-adventures when I was younger. The graphics were just splendid (and still are, IMHO).

Thinking about it: Screw it! Those long term decisions aren't worth a dime. I stay with SmaugFuss, modify the code-base to suit my needs and give those few lines of my own code-base to my brother. He has more time and experience than I, so perhaps he can form it into a code-base I could use to port things over from SmaugFuss later.

I simply see no reason to wait any longer and as I know from Marketing class, a MUD which is commercial from start might not work out that well, at all.
13 Mar, 2010, quixadhal wrote in the 76th comment:
Considering that the Diku authors specifically denied charging for distribution "even just for the disk" (referring to the easiest method of transferring files back then, floppy), I doubt server hosting charges would be any different.

If you want to throw a game up and have fun with it, accept that you'll be hosting it at home, or cough up the 10-20 bucks a month to put it somewhere more accessible. If you want to make money, pick one of the barebones codebases that allows you to profit and do the work.
13 Mar, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 77th comment:
Blinx said:
I don't know if anyone mentioned this before, but couldn't you charge some dollars to keep the server afloat (say $3US a month to pay the bills typically associated with the server hardware)?

It's been mentioned 2341 times since 1992, and resulted in 127 flame wars. 90% of the people bringing it up actually run muds on free hosts, are under 14, never worked a day in their life, cannot code their way out of a paper bag, are ignorant of the hundred plus open source muds, or a combination of one, many, or all of above.
13 Mar, 2010, Blinx wrote in the 78th comment:
Tyche said:
Blinx said:
I don't know if anyone mentioned this before, but couldn't you charge some dollars to keep the server afloat (say $3US a month to pay the bills typically associated with the server hardware)?

It's been mentioned 2341 times since 1992, and resulted in 127 flame wars. 90% of the people bringing it up actually run muds on free hosts, are under 14, never worked a day in their life, cannot code their way out of a paper bag, are ignorant of the hundred plus open source muds, or a combination of one, many, or all of above.

Count me to the remaining 10% then.

I'm not 14, anymore (God, I wish I was that young. Life was actually fun back then). Aside from college, I own my own small business. I prefer my own server over a free host. I started coding at the age of 8 (QB, Pascal) and I wouldn't know how to be ignorant about something that's hardly countable.

The only reason I prefer SmaugFuss is that I don't have the time to do something from scratch (college exams and 2 jobs).

I'm going to experiment with NakedMUD and SocketMUD over the Easter holidays, though.
13 Mar, 2010, Scandum wrote in the 79th comment:
From what I know Locke was adopted, his biological parents suffering from schizophrenia, and he is clearly borderline delusional. I don't think he can help himself, which makes this entire conversation kind of pointless, unless it makes people feel good about themselves when they talk him down.
13 Mar, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 80th comment:
Scandum said:
From what I know Locke was adopted, his biological parents suffering from schizophrenia, and he is clearly borderline delusional. I don't think he can help himself, which makes this entire conversation kind of pointless, unless it makes people feel good about themselves when they talk him down.

The stories I heard about you passed on by people who know you IRL don't make it
any more or less valid to discuss your behavior here. Even if you were to substantiate
the crude rumors you've just disseminated, it wouldn't in any way make pointless
the use of Locke as an example of how not to behave.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
60.0/121