31 Mar, 2009, The_Fury wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Kayle said:
Uh, You're lucky to pull off an Avatar in a month on RoD.

I did it in 15 days :)
31 Mar, 2009, The_Fury wrote in the 22nd comment:
Vladaar said:
Samson has it right, my fault on the dates with name changes.

Vladaar

You should post a little history on your game somewhere Vlad, starting all the way back before Chronicles.
31 Mar, 2009, The_Fury wrote in the 23rd comment:
Kayle said:
Uh, You're lucky to pull off an Avatar in a month on RoD.

I did it in 15 days :)
Kayle said:
Vladaar said:
Pound for pound 6 Dragons is the best medieval
smaug code base mud out there.

Dangerous claim to make with very little proof. ;)

Besides, Realm of Despair would be the best Smaug mud around since.. well.. it IS where the codebase was born. :P

I would say that 6D is the best smaug derived game i have ever played.
31 Mar, 2009, Skol wrote in the 24th comment:
Great idea!
I think it'd be a great idea for all game to chronicle their paths, now if I can only track down the first 3 years of mine a little better heh.
31 Mar, 2009, Fizban wrote in the 25th comment:
*Fizban looks at Kayle's and Fury's posts, mistakes this for a voting contest, votes Dawn of Demise as the best smaug ever, and runs off back to his cave.*
31 Mar, 2009, Ssolvarain wrote in the 26th comment:
Realms of Despair made my teeth hurt. Great, great mud, but after 3 characters falling into deathtraps, I think I'll stick to ROM where I don't need to scan in every direction before I move.
31 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 27th comment:
Never have been a huge fan of death traps, even the ones that give a little warning. The ones that give no warning at all are just lame. The ones that give some are debatable, but the consequences of losing all equipment can be pretty damning, and a very high price for a one-time, momentary slip-up.
31 Mar, 2009, Guest wrote in the 28th comment:
Deathtraps are not a Smaug-specific feature you realize. They existed long before Smaug brought them back in the Merc line.
01 Apr, 2009, Ssolvarain wrote in the 29th comment:
The redundant department of redundant redundancy has arrived :tongue:

Yes, that's kind of obvious. The idea of it isn't anything revolutionary, it's just an unwelcome time trap in its implementation in most MUDs.
02 Apr, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 30th comment:
I enjoy obvious death traps. Ones that give plenty of warnings that players might ultimately decide to ignore anyway "just to see."

I can understand some considering death traps as a means to try to help encourage people to pay a bit more attention. I've learned in my years of being a MUD Admin (and now as a professional graphic designer at a sign/shirt shop) that people tend to just ignore signs. I can imagine that on MUDs where reading/ignoring signs could mean the difference between life and death, people might pay a bit more attention.

But yeah, we don't employ death traps. I have one thing, a gas chamber, were you basically have to know what you are doing to activate it, upon which you will die, but its not a huge deal to get your stuff back, so there's generally no permanent equipment loss in such a situation, and we have an iron maiden that if you enter, will take you down to like 5% of your hp.

I do agree, though, that death traps without warning are a bit lame.
03 Apr, 2009, Fizban wrote in the 31st comment:
Not a fan of death traps at all really. About the closest I'll come to a deathtrap is rooms like this:

I have a room. If you enter the room while not wearing a space suit it kills you. (Or some other circumstance of entering it in some manner that can be changed, not if you're an elf and enter you die, as you can't change your race and as such would be a true death trap for some people whereas you could get a space suit and then come back to get your stuff in my example.)
20.0/31