18 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
It is workable, as are many solutions, but the real question is frankly whether or not it will be implemented exactly correctly, for if it is not, Very Bad Things will happen that are difficult to debug. The affect2 solution, while less "elegant" by some measures, is probably easier for you to deal with.
18 Apr, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 42nd comment:
Well right now I seem to be having heaps of problems understanding how to get affect2 to work.

Could anyone elaberate on what needs to be done with the uint64_t 's?
18 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 43rd comment:
You would need to make sure that all relevant data structures use the proper data type. Then make sure that all routines/macros/whatever that access/modify/print those data structures are aware of the new number of bits. Then make sure that you load and save the variables correctly; this will probably involve making sure that the load/save routines can even handle numbers this big. (Chances are that fread_number cannot. But that can be fixed.) Also, while you're at it, you'll have to ensure some kind of backward compatibility so that you can read your current areas and player files.

Frankly by comparison just tacking on a second structure is a lot simpler by comparison, but it's your call as to what you would prefer to do. Messing with data types like this is a really great way to shoot yourself in the foot given how it is all over the code in sometimes rather sneaky or otherwise non-obvious ways. (Just ask people who try to convert vnums to have more bits, or all those DBZ people who want power level points in the bazillions.)
18 Apr, 2009, Skol wrote in the 44th comment:
boblinski said:
I guess so… If the last idea of mine was going to work I might stop using affect2 and adopt that method.
If you are re-writting the snippet.. could you include ability to add affects to mobs and objs via olc?

Sure thing. I've got it that way in my game and it's been working great with that since.. 98 I think.
affect2 true_sight etc, just make a second set of affects and such, could do an affect3, affect4, etc with the same set-up.

I'll see if I can get to it early next week and make an easier to follow approach.
18 Apr, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 45th comment:
Skol said:
boblinski said:
I guess so… If the last idea of mine was going to work I might stop using affect2 and adopt that method.
If you are re-writting the snippet.. could you include ability to add affects to mobs and objs via olc?

Sure thing. I've got it that way in my game and it's been working great with that since.. 98 I think.
affect2 true_sight etc, just make a second set of affects and such, could do an affect3, affect4, etc with the same set-up.

I'll see if I can get to it early next week and make an easier to follow approach.

Honestly that would be so great if you could do that.. My skill/spell coding is at a stand-still until I can get this affect's thing sorted.
02 May, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 46th comment:
hey there, just wondering how/if that affect2 snippet is coming along?
12 May, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 47th comment:
Any updates whatsoever?
40.0/47