ork–

Field
U r in a field. 2 orks 2 kill here!
U can go w,s.

%w
Wood
U r in woods. 4 wolvs 2 kill here!
U can go e.

The sad thing is, if you built it - they would come.
06 Mar, 2009, Fizban wrote in the 25th comment:
Votes: 0
quixadhal said:
Are there a significant number of people who are seriously annoyed by having the "D"ungeon part associated with their non-dungeon game? Or are we gunning for some kind of funding that's only applicable to MMOG's, and thus need to show that a MUD is a particular form of MMOG?

I really don't think the world will be a better place by adding YMA's to it. There are already TGDMFA's out there. But, I guess YMMV.

Doesn't annoy me, especially considering MUD is just as widely recognized to mean Multi-User-Dimension as it is Multi-User-Dungeon.
06 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 26th comment:
I think that MUD is mainly meant to denote a kind of game, not an actual acronym. I don't think many people care about the acronym's meaning. The people who picked a new acronym weren't trying to be more accurate: they were trying to distinguish themselves from what they saw as games that weren't like theirs.
06 Mar, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 27th comment:
Fizban said:
Doesn't annoy me, especially considering MUD is just as widely recognized to mean Multi-User-Dimension as it is Multi-User-Dungeon.

The Dimension thing was a backronym to explain the M in TinyMUD, just another sad attempt by the mush community to sever the ties to its past, kind of like Medievia's complete rewrite in c++.
06 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 28th comment:
Scandum said:
kind of like Medievia's complete rewrite in c++

:lol:
Writing in C++ instead of C is a sad attempt to sever ties to the past?
(EDIT: It's funny that of all things, the change to C++ is what bothers you with Medievia…?)
07 Mar, 2009, Skol wrote in the 29th comment:
Yeah the 'Dimension' vs 'Dungeon' thing always cracked me up.
Colossal Caves Adventure, stored as 'Advent', then Zork/Dungen, Multi-User Dungeon. Besides 'MUD' still has a cool ring to it. It doesn't mean an underground dungeon, never has, simply was referring back to it's predecessors.

Hell, I went in and added help files on those games simply as a 'thanks for all the fish' in my game. Of course I also reference the grue and pits if you walk around without a light, and there's a certain brass lantern that's identical… ;p. Of course, I still have my hand-drawn map of the Colossal Caves, with secret words etc, drawn in 1980 heh.

So yeah, I call it 'Multi-User Dungeon' aka MUD. Although, Multi-User Colossal Caves Inspired Nifty Game…. er I'll shut up. heh. But yeah, I'll refer to it as a text-based role playing game so that others might stumble upon it also.
07 Mar, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 30th comment:
I think we should all start using the term RPI, because if you think the sound of mushers squealing is a barrel of monkeys…
07 Mar, 2009, Fizban wrote in the 31st comment:
David Haley said:
Scandum said:
kind of like Medievia's complete rewrite in c++

:lol:
Writing in C++ instead of C is a sad attempt to sever ties to the past?
(EDIT: It's funny that of all things, the change to C++ is what bothers you with Medievia…?)

No, it's more what bothers is him is that they tried claiming that they were no longer a derivative once it was rewritten to be C++ as if that severed their ties to DIKU by being written in a different language (sorta….).
20.0/31