24 Dec, 2008, Venrexx wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey I recently installed Cygwin and booted up my Smaug codebase but as we all know Hotboot does not work on a windows environment because windows does not allow the deletion of active processes. Has anyone out there made a new hotboot that DOES work on windows and if so how may I obtain that?
25 Dec, 2008, Tyche wrote in the 2nd comment:
Hotboot on Cygwin works just like Linux. However, some changes to the makefile need to be made.
I already posted them in reply to a thread to Igabod sometime during this month. Can't remember the thread.
The trick is to rename the running executable to something else, before linking the new one.

Hotboot in a native Windows environment works differently. The Murk++ code here contains that version.
25 Dec, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
the thread Tyche is referring to is here: http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=topi... the info that relates to your problem may be a little hard to spot but it's definately there. You just have to remember that when you make changes to your mud they don't go in untill you type make install then do a copyover. i'll go ahead and put a current copy of my makefile on that thread for you to look at.
25 Dec, 2008, Venrexx wrote in the 4th comment:
Thanks for the help and the link but I have a hotboot.c file that needs editing, it's not your normal hotboot as I have been told, I thought it was coded normal but I guess it wasn't.
here is a link to my hotboot.c file so you can see how my hotboot is tied together.
http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=past...
Have fun with it lol
26 Dec, 2008, Tyche wrote in the 5th comment:
Venrexx said:
Thanks for the help and the link but I have a hotboot.c file that needs editing, it's not your normal hotboot as I have been told, I thought it was coded normal but I guess it wasn't.
here is a link to my hotboot.c file so you can see how my hotboot is tied together.
http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=past...
Have fun with it lol

So? And? What?
lulz
26 Dec, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 6th comment:
I've looked at your hotboot file and don't see any problems with it and the method Tyche advocated. Granted what he told me isn't going to be EXACTLY correct since it's two different codebases but the general gist of it is the same. And his changes are mostly to the makefile and not to hotboot so there should be no conflict.

Just re-read that thread again and pay attention to the changes he suggested for my makefile, particularly the bits about cp EXE_FILE ../area etcetera.

The important info is that you're going to have 3 different .exe files floating around at the same time most of the time. one will be in your src directory, and two in area directory. Whenever you make a change to your mud you type make to update the .exe file in the src directory and to find out if you have any errors or warnings. Then when you are satisfied with your changes and are ready to install them into the mud, you type make install and then do a hotboot on the mud.

What this does is it copies the updated exe file to the area directory, renames the active exe file so that you can continue to keep the mud running, then when you do the hotboot, it boots off of the newer exe file. Takes some getting used to but it works quite nicely. And if you don't like the idea of having several .exe files floating around, you can always delete the old_merc.exe or whatever your mud calls it's exe_file once you do the hotboot. you can also delete the one in the src directory after that too if you want.
0.0/6