07 Dec, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I'm trying to make it possible for vampires to make a blood fountain with a command rather than through quest. I've run into the problem of not being able to set the fountain liquid type to blood however so it is by default water. There is no way to change the v0 v1 etc. in olc for fountains (at least not that I'm aware of) and when I tried editing the .are file itself, I'd save the changes and copyover but it was still water. I look in the area file and that line is back to it's original settings. I am at a complete loss of ideas for why this is happening. Any help is appreciated.
07 Dec, 2008, Littlehorn wrote in the 2nd comment:
Not too sure about Godwars but in ROM you have liq_table (water, blood, beer) and liq_affects (thirsty, full, drunk blah). Here is a snippet of that code:

/*
* Liquid properties.
* Used in world.obj.
*/
const struct liq_type liq_table[] = {
/* name color proof, full, thirst, food, ssize */
{"water", "clear", {0, 1, 10, 0, 16}},
{"beer", "amber", {12, 1, 8, 1, 12}},
{"red wine", "burgundy", {30, 1, 8, 1, 5}},
{"ale", "brown", {15, 1, 8, 1, 12}},
{"dark ale", "dark", {16, 1, 8, 1, 12}},

{"whisky", "golden", {120, 1, 5, 0, 2}},
{"lemonade", "pink", {0, 1, 9, 2, 12}},
{"firebreather", "boiling", {190, 0, 4, 0, 2}},
{"local specialty", "clear", {151, 1, 3, 0, 2}},
{"slime mold juice", "green", {0, 2, -8, 1, 2}},

{"milk", "white", {0, 2, 9, 3, 12}},
{"tea", "tan", {0, 1, 8, 0, 6}},
{"coffee", "black", {0, 1, 8, 0, 6}},
{"blood", "red", {0, 2, -1, 2, 6}},
{"salt water", "clear", {0, 1, -2, 0, 1}},

{"coke", "brown", {0, 2, 9, 2, 12}},
{"root beer", "brown", {0, 2, 9, 2, 12}},
{"elvish wine", "green", {35, 2, 8, 1, 5}},
{"white wine", "golden", {28, 1, 8, 1, 5}},
{"champagne", "golden", {32, 1, 8, 1, 5}},

{"mead", "honey-colored", {34, 2, 8, 2, 12}},
{"rose wine", "pink", {26, 1, 8, 1, 5}},
{"benedictine wine", "burgundy", {40, 1, 8, 1, 5}},
{"vodka", "clear", {130, 1, 5, 0, 2}},
{"cranberry juice", "red", {0, 1, 9, 2, 12}},

{"orange juice", "orange", {0, 2, 9, 3, 12}},
{"absinthe", "green", {200, 1, 4, 0, 2}},
{"brandy", "golden", {80, 1, 5, 0, 4}},
{"aquavit", "clear", {140, 1, 5, 0, 2}},
{"schnapps", "clear", {90, 1, 5, 0, 2}},

{"icewine", "purple", {50, 2, 6, 1, 5}},
{"amontillado", "burgundy", {35, 2, 8, 1, 5}},
{"sherry", "red", {38, 2, 7, 1, 5}},
{"framboise", "red", {50, 1, 7, 1, 5}},
{"rum", "amber", {151, 1, 4, 0, 2}},

{"cordial", "clear", {100, 1, 5, 0, 2}},
{NULL, NULL, {0, 0, 0, 0, 0}}
};

That allows you to set the liquid type of a fountain to any of the following liq_types listed above (found in const.c) within OLC. Not too sure if Godwars has many different liquid types but you could check to see what liquid types they offer other than just water. Then edit the fountain object you create with the command.

Editing area file while MUD is still live won't save on some MUDs. You have to shut down, edit the area and then ./startup & again.

Hope this helps.
07 Dec, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
Yeah its basically the same thing on godwars, it's not that I don't know the number value for it, it's just that it's not possible to do in olc on godwars and in the area file it doesn't save through a copyover. And I even did it with the mud not running then started it up after the change was made. Same results.
08 Dec, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 4th comment:
hmm, 24 hours and still no response… I think this topic got lost in the other posts.
08 Dec, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
Igabod said:
There is no way to change the v0 v1 etc. in olc for fountains (at least not that I'm aware of)

Sounds like you need to edit the OLC functionality, then, to allow changing object values on objects of type fountain.
08 Dec, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 6th comment:
I'd do that but I'm afraid it won't change anything since even editing the area file by hand doesn't work. It changes back to water when I startup the mud.
08 Dec, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
Then you need to find the parts that load up and save fountain objects and make sure they're not adjusting the values somehow.
08 Dec, 2008, Skol wrote in the 8th comment:
Igabod, it's probably saving with 0 for the value, and when it loads it setting it to 0 again.
In Rom it's in olc_save.c for the saving, not sure on Godwars. It's probably like ITEM_FOUNTAIN: fwrite {"0 0 0 0\n"} or something along those lines. Find that, fix that to be like obj->value[0], obj->value[1] etc.
No one else deal with different types of fluids in fountains/drinkcontainers etc? (in Godwars that is)
09 Dec, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 9th comment:
Well I went home yesterday and actually added it into the olc and for surprise surprise, that worked.

To Skol, unfortunately the godwars olc is not the same as the rom olc. There is just one file called olc.c and most of the things that deal with olc aren't even IN that file. You can find stuff for olc in handler.c bit.c db.c and many other places.

That's going to be something I'm gonna HAVE to change in the very distant future. For the mean-time I'll just have to do it the hard way. I made a full set of vampire equipment last night and that required me making the objects, setting the object type(armor) and wear locations. Then doing the addaffects, and then finally going into the shell and adding the special affects like sanctuary, fly, fireshield etc. Then I edited the addaffect ac cause it's not possible to do a negative number in addaffect for some reason and I didn't feel like fooling with that.

I gotta ask what kavir was thinking with that olc… or maybe it's just that he wasn't finished with it before somebody jacked his code. Anyway, my problem with fountains has been fixed now so thanks for the help guys.
09 Dec, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
Igabod said:
I gotta ask what kavir was thinking with that olc… or maybe it's just that he wasn't finished with it before somebody jacked his code.

Seems to me that all bets are off if a codebase was stolen. If somebody were to "acquire" my codebase, there'd be a large number of unfinished features and work-in-progress in general.
09 Dec, 2008, Skol wrote in the 11th comment:
How is it that people are using Godwars if it's a stolen base? I mean, continuing to use it, finding it available to download, all that? I'd think at the very least any distro's would/should be pulled.
09 Dec, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
I think that KaVir eventually stopped caring because he moved his own codebase onward. Not sure if the "stolen" version now has his more-or-less (un)official blessing, though, or if he'd prefer it to be pulled.
09 Dec, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 13th comment:
I'd like some clarification on this. What is canon on the status of Godwars code?
Is the copy in this repository legit?

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
09 Dec, 2008, Scandum wrote in the 14th comment:
From what I can recall Kavir made a public release after the code was jacked called Godwars Deluxe, I assume that's what most GW muds are running.
10 Dec, 2008, Littlehorn wrote in the 15th comment:
Scandum said:
From what I can recall Kavir made a public release after the code was jacked called Godwars Deluxe, I assume that's what most GW muds are running.

That's what I heard as well. God knows why people steal code to begin with. Like it's all that hard just to mimic.
10 Dec, 2008, Orrin wrote in the 16th comment:
Although the God Wars Deluxe license was violated on several occasions, by December 1999 it could no longer be contained, having been compromised beyond my ability to control. For this reason I chose to release the code publically, and concentrate purely on my own mud - that same old God Wars, which I'd been working on for years

http://www.godwars2.org/gw_history.php?p...
10 Dec, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 17th comment:
I think low4 which is the codebase I'm working on was based on the released version of godwars 95. I could be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure this is the case.
21 Jan, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 18th comment:
Late response I'm afraid, as I only just noticed this thread.

Igabod said:
I gotta ask what kavir was thinking with that olc…

Not much, considering I neither wrote it nor used it :P The snippet comes from The Isles, and was added to LoW. The original GodWars doesn't have OLC, while GodWars Deluxe uses a different OLC (although it also comes from a snippet).

Cratylus said:
I'd like some clarification on this. What is canon on the status of Godwars code? Is the copy in this repository legit?

It's fine as long as the licence conditions are followed.

Littlehorn said:
God knows why people steal code to begin with. Like it's all that hard just to mimic.

Software doesn't become easier or faster to write just because someone else has done it before. If a mud took years to write, then without looking at the code it'll also take years to emulate, assuming you're as competent as the original developer. Those who steal codebases are rarely patient, and almost never competent.

Igabod said:
I think low4 which is the codebase I'm working on was based on the released version of godwars 95. I could be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Nope, LoW is based on the leaked 96 version. The 95 version wasn't actually released until much later, after I'd agreed to let people use the code - I released it more for historical reasons. Prior to that, the only muds using the 95 code were Lucifer/Shaddai (the GW US mirror site) and Vampire Wars.

You may have noticed how the Vampire Wars reviews talk about how "It was developed and altered so that the theme became Vampires-only" - well, that's because GodWars 95 only had a vampire class. So if you see a GW mud with werewolves, mages and demons, there's an extremely high chance that it's based on the 96 version or later.
0.0/18