29 Nov, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
elanthis said:
When you say that you removed the script, did you just remove the actual JS, or the CSS that goes with it? If leaving the CSS is fine but the JS makes it break, then you might need to look over the JS to see if it's doing something stupid with dynamic CSS.

Well, I changed it to this:
<IF (strpos($qsf->agent, 'MSIE') === false)>
<script src="./javascript/menus.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
</IF>

Which doesn't read in the menus.js script if it's Internet Explorer. And everything renders fine in IE. It doesn't start messing things up until the accordion method is applied to those boxes to the right. After looking, the script is changing CSS values to make the bits disappear that are supposed to. I'm just not sure what it would be changing that would confuse IE, and I don't really read javascript as fluently as I do C/C++. =/ This file, And then if you scroll through until you find Fx.CSS, Fx.Elements, and Accordion classes, those are the ones I know are used for certain in the menus.

elanthis said:
Honestly, using a popup is gross. The sooner browsers just disable the damn things the better. You can do what you want in far more professional-looking ways. You might as well put blinking text and a marquee on your site if you're going to rely on popups for anything.

The only reason I went with a new window is because the pages that it's loading for the application and the review aren't threaded into the QSFP, So I can't wrap the navigation or the banner around them, and apply the site's normal css. So I wanted to do them in the little pop-up windows, where it pops up, there's no address bar, they fill it out, hit send, and it emails them a copy, and then emails me a copy, of their answers. But if there's a better more professional way of handling it, I'm all ears. I swear I thought I was done with the aesthetic changes for the site, and I was ready to just fill in the empty holder pages… Guess not. =/
30 Nov, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 22nd comment:
Alright, So. I went through and removed ALL CSS, and replaced it back one bit at a time. It took me a while, but I made it. The problem is definately with the mootools at this point, because it was still screwed up with all the css removed. After looking at it in Firebug. I noticed that even when I removed all the CSS, Firebug was still showing some CSS applied to the content class for <div> tags. So mootools was applying a style over top of the existing style as it changed the visibility, which I expected, but what I didn't expect was even without the style defined, it was still applying a style. So I'm not sure what it's changing/using that IE doesn't like, but if anyone can help me figure it out, It'd be appreciated.

I'd really prefer the site to be uniform across all the browsers instead of having the accordion menus on all but IE. =/

[Edit:] Also, if there's a better way to handle these pop-up windows, then using the javascript to actually make a new window, that will work across all browsers, I'm all ears. :P
12 Dec, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 23rd comment:
So, with IE8 comes renewed hope. Everything renders properly in IE8 and it appears to be Microsoft's most standards compliant browser so far. After looking into MultipleIEs, I now have tested my site in IE6, IE7, and IE8. IE8 renders everything properly. IE6 gets the spans that don't split the content area in half right, but screws up the ones that split the content in half, Examples (sorry for the size):

<Images redacted to clear server space>

IE8 is how things are supposed to look. I have no doubt now that it is the javascript in this file that's doing it, I'm just unable to figure out exactly what.
12 Dec, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 24th comment:
Hehehe, that's why I don't do web development any more. Getting things to work properly in every pseudo-standard half-arsed browser the user might happen to toss at you is more stress than I care for. Of course, you can always just try to get it to work well in IE8 and Firefox 3 and tell the users to upgrade if it looks wrong. :)
12 Dec, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 25th comment:
I would, but IE8 is only Beta. :P
12 Dec, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 26th comment:
No excuse! Vista is only beta…. *duck*
13 Dec, 2008, Guest wrote in the 27th comment:
You shoudn't be insulting the many fine pieces of betaware out there by calling Vista a beta! It's alpha at best :P
13 Dec, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 28th comment:
Vista is a trend setter! It's the first time an entire Operating System has been officially renamed in an advertising campaign, to try and continue selling it despite the knowledge that it sucks….. It's not Vista now, it's Mohave. *grin*
01 Jan, 2009, Crystal wrote in the 29th comment:
Are you still having problems with IE7? Have you made an IE7 conditional stylesheet yet? If so I might be able to poke around with the code for you. I have to do html/css with cross-browser compatibility as my career, so may as well. But if it's a javascript error, you're on your own :)
01 Jan, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 30th comment:
It's gotta be something in the javascript. I've just given up on figuring it out since IE8 doesn't have a problem displaying it.
20.0/30