22 Nov, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
i'm trying to make it possible to train your hr/dr up in a keggermud (quickmud deriv) i've got the necessary parts added to do_train and during testing i have no problems, it increases the hr/dr as it is supposed to, however whenever the character logs out and then back in again it has the previous hr/dr they had before. my guess is it's because of the void reset_char function in handler.c but i could be wrong. is there some way of making the changes to hr/dr through training permanent? also i wouldn't mind some suggestions for other things i can add to the train function cause i've made it to where you can buy trains from the questmaster and would like to give my non-existant players plenty of options for uses of their trains.
22 Nov, 2008, Kline wrote in the 2nd comment:
If you're just increasing ch->hitroll and ch->damroll respectively, these values are usually bonus values that get lumped together with gear and other things via a get_hitroll() function or macro. They aren't written or loaded to the pfile. You could add a bonus_hr/bonus_dr values to your char_data struct, increase these, add it to pfile save/loading, and into your func or macro that calculates total hr/dr.
24 Nov, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
actually, yes they are saved to the pfile. i fixed my problem by removing the reset_char call from the nanny function though. i was kinda hoping someone could provide me with an alternative to this though cause the reset_char function has uses which are quite necessary.
24 Nov, 2008, tphegley wrote in the 4th comment:
Do what Kline said. Add another hit dam modifier in the pfile that will be added when the player hit/dam is added. We'll call it trainhit/traindam.

So in the pfile it'd look like:

hitroll 10
damroll 10
trainhit 2
traindam 2

So when it is recalculated it'll become 12 hit 12 dam on the characters score sheet.

***EDIT***
I'm not familiar with Keggermud, but you will probably get some really wierd results if you keep reset_char from the nanny function. You better leave that in. :cool:
25 Nov, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 5th comment:
i'll do that then. it's a simple matter of adding that to save.c then changing my do_train function to point to those rather than ch->hitroll right?
25 Nov, 2008, Kline wrote in the 6th comment:
Igabod: Yes, and also updating your hr/dr calculation functions to account for it. A lot of Diku* MUDs have GET_HITROLL or similar macros that will take (ch->hitroll + dex + other stuff) = final value. Just make certain your new field gets added there, too. You'll also need to add trainhit/traindam to your merc.h/mud.h char_data struct just like you see the regular hitroll/damroll in it.
26 Nov, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 7th comment:
yeah i went and started working on that earlier and realized after i added it to save.c that there were a lot more things i needed to do so i just decided to procrastinate a little cause i am slightly lazy. added two new spells for mages instead. thanks for informing me about merc.h i hadn't even thought about adding it there, although i probably would have figured it out after i did everything else. i'll probably get to work on this project tomorrow morning. i'll let everybody know how it goes.
0.0/7