17 Apr, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 61st comment:
Votes: 0
Well I didn't use that GB amount as what I wanted, just a way to show how comparatively ridiculous the MUD hosting prices are. I understand places like Arthmoor are more on the "personal business" side (they don't expect to make a profit), but places like MudMagic and Wolfpaw (for example) don't seem to be that and are a bit more "professional".

Personally around 500MB would be good for me. But that runs close to $20 on MudMagic. If you can get a VPS for around that much, it just further supports my view.

It's one of the reasons I offer free MUD hosting. The paid hosting prices are ridiculous.
17 Apr, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 62nd comment:
I don't -need- the amount of space and such I have, but when you look at having a VPS for $9.99/month that has 5gb, 128mb RAM, 128 GB of bandwidth, with root access and all of that, vs. a MUD host that offers for $10/month only 200mb and 15mb of RAM, it seems almost a no brainer. Not to mention for those paranoid types, a VPS company would be much less interested in your MUD code than many of the fly by night MUD hosts that come and go.

I'm about as much of a linux noob and as much of a "codebase coder" as the next person, and sure the learning curve is a bit higher on a VPS than it might be with a MUD Host, and many MUD hosts offer some measure of MUD-specific support, but between this site, TMC, and google, I don't see any real reason to shy away from using a VPS vs. a MUD host.

It was worth the added effort or difficulty of getting that setup to have a much more powerful hosting package with a lot more control.

But, that's just me.
17 Apr, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 63rd comment:
Another advantage of a virtual host is that you don't need to worry about other users potentially accessing your stuff. You control the whole machine, and other clients of the hosting service are on their own virtual machines.

You don't really need to do that much in terms of Linux administration if all you want to do is run a MUD, assuming that it comes preconfigured with a reasonably sane environment (e.g. gcc, standard libraries, etc.). Having full control over the machine is extremely desirable, though. We've had a family server under a virtual host for a while now, and we have total control over it to set it up exactly how we please, and we have definitely taken advantage of that to do some pretty nifty stuff.
17 Apr, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 64th comment:
So are you restricted by anything on a VPS? Ports? Dev tools? Packages?

Let's say I wanted to have 3 MUDs and 2 web projects running on a VPS. Can I do that?
17 Apr, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 65th comment:
That depends on the host but typically your machine is a full-fledged "machine" (other than the fact that it's running as a guest OS on a virtualization platform). You typically have your own IP address, and can do whatever the heck you want to do. It's your machine: that is the whole point of the setup, really.

Some people will not give you your own IP address, and then you can only have open the ports that they forward to you. For instance, assume I am hosted with group X.com. Then I can have X.com:12345 forward to me.X.com:12345. But me.X.com would not be a publicly accessible address. You can still do whatever you want on the machine, it'll just be harder to make it visible to the outside world.
18 Apr, 2008, Guest wrote in the 66th comment:
You do need to be sure the VPS is aware you intend to run MUDs, because although it should be a no-brainer that you bought a VPS to use as you see fit, some of the providers have terms in their contracts that would seem to contradict the logical use of such systems. Ask first, get it in writing, then pay for it if it fits your needs.

I think Davion can probably attest to vpsland.com being rather lenient in what they allow since not just MudBytes exists there. We all pretty much have run of the system, including mail, DNS, DB, Apache, whatever. If we need more stuff, it's just a Yum install away.

If VPS hosting had been around when I was looking for a place to park Alsherok in the early days, I'd definitely have used it. Instead I bounced around to all of the ridiculous MUD hosts of the day, where paying $50/month for a really small basic package was considered cheap. It eventually got to where I desired self-hosting because I couldn't get what I wanted from it in a shared environment. And I wasn't exactly asking for much. It's part of what led me to start selling hosting space when I got comfortable enough with linux administration. I'm happy as long as the internet bill is paid each month. Honestly don't see how there's enough profit to make a good living on with this sort of thing :)
18 Apr, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 67th comment:
I have my MUD, 2 of my own websites, a website for Midboss, and either 2 or 3 other MUDs sometimes up (although not really being developed) running on my VPS.

I use quantact.com and have had End of Time running there since October of '05 and have had no problems. Maybe a total of 3, maybe 4 times, we've had maybe an hour or two downtime as a result of either a power outage or maintenance.
19 Apr, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 68th comment:
Samson said:
I think Davion can probably attest to vpsland.com being rather lenient in what they allow since not just MudBytes exists there. We all pretty much have run of the system, including mail, DNS, DB, Apache, whatever. If we need more stuff, it's just a Yum install away.

Yeah, I've been using vpsland.com as well(For about a year and a half now?) and besides the one mix up that we had when they were changing their billing site everythings been smooth.. Their support guys even seem pretty nice compared to most of the support I've had to deal with. :D

EDIT: wooOOo.. lol it quoted Zeno again.. o.O lol
20 Apr, 2008, Magus wrote in the 69th comment:
Thank you very much for hosting me.
That was totally awesome.
Now then, I've got a lot of work to do, but mark my words, I'll be returning.

…even if it's to set the trolls off!
21 Apr, 2008, Conner wrote in the 70th comment:
Magus said:
Thank you very much for hosting me.
That was totally awesome.

How unusually refreshing to see actual politeness these days! :smile:

Magus said:

Oh well, so much for that… perhaps he'll even choose to return to contribute and try to help the community in ways beyond just trying to "set the trolls off". :sigh:
21 Apr, 2008, Guest wrote in the 71st comment:
Heh, yeah. Would be nice. I'd much rather people leave the trolls alone to wallow on their own forum where they belong :P
22 Apr, 2008, Tommi wrote in the 72nd comment:
Samson said:
Heh, yeah. Would be nice. I'd much rather people leave the trolls alone to wallow on their own forum where they belong :P

LOL is there a specific forum for you and me?
22 Apr, 2008, Guest wrote in the 73rd comment:
You're more than welcome to go hang out with them on TMC, we don't want the trolls here.
23 Apr, 2008, Magus wrote in the 74th comment:
I said:

Conner said
Oh well, so much for that… perhaps he'll even choose to return to contribute and try to help the community in ways beyond just trying to "set the trolls off". :sigh:

Trust me, I don't look for Trolls… They just seem to find me
(The female ones in WoW are alright though, I'd "smoka some troll-grown mon")

I would name them, but I believe they reveal themselves in the most unflattering way, but also I believe that it is terribly bad form to reveal such, 'lest the finger be returned in my direction. But, if you would like an example anyway, You can always look at my EmpireMUD post…

It's not grotesque, and I know, I know, it's not a dispute about OLC code or how it was stolen and why people have to care, but indeed you'll have a bit of an example of how they try to coax you to the dark side… in hopes of invoking a flame war.
http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=topi...

…I still am thankful for Zeno hosting me. I owe him major props.
23 Apr, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 75th comment:
Umm… that post has trolls and flamewars in it?
23 Apr, 2008, Conner wrote in the 76th comment:
:snicker: If he felt that thread had trolls and a flame war happening, he really doesn't want to go hang out at TMC for a few days then… :lol:
29 Apr, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 77th comment:
Yeah, didn't you know? Suggesting someone work on another mud before starting their own mud as advice is trolling now.
29 Apr, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 78th comment:
Why don't we let that one drop? Magus messed up, yes, but there's no point making hay about it for weeks to come.

EDIT: … especially when week-old posts get dragged up to do so.
30 Apr, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 79th comment:
I think you need a watch. That post isn't even 2.5 days old as of this moment, it's definitely not a 'week' old post. In fact it wasn't even 48 hours before my previous post to which you said I was bringing up week old topics with….
30 Apr, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 80th comment:
Your post was on April 29th. You were replying to a post made on the 23rd in order to mock Magus. I will grant that by saying "one week" I made the horrible exaggeration of adding one day. I might need a watch, but perhaps you should sign up for reading comprehension. :wink: I have no idea why you are referring to your own post's age.
60.0/176