17 Apr, 2008, Guest wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
http://developers.slashdot.org/article.p...

The article referenced seems to suggest that MySQL is once again trying to self terminate. No doubt the PgSQL crowd is drooling over the possibilities.
17 Apr, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
Inaccurate Slashdot article?

The original source it links to mentions nothing about closing parts of the source.
17 Apr, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 3rd comment:
Yes it does: it says that features will be migrated to only the Enterprise version of the software, i.e. the one you pay for and that is only distributed to those who pay.
17 Apr, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 4th comment:
Still seems inaccurate.

To quote a comment on the article:
GPLed code can be open but cost money.
17 Apr, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
Well, presumably that's the point of developing features only for the Enterprise version, no? That they plan to do future development for non-GPL code for the Enterprise version.
17 Apr, 2008, Tailsthefox wrote in the 6th comment:
I am a noob, so What do you mean DB users?
17 Apr, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
People who use databases. DB = database, user = well, somebody who uses. :tongue:
17 Apr, 2008, Tailsthefox wrote in the 8th comment:
I meant the DB :P
18 Apr, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 9th comment:
I think he answered what DB meant already.
18 Apr, 2008, Conner wrote in the 10th comment:
( :sigh: )
Well, I suppose that means most of us won't need to worry about updates to our MySQL installs for too much longer then.. maybe it's time to see what it'd take to make QSFP fully support using other free DBs.. or does it already? (I really never bothered to check since I already knew it fully supported using MySQL which I was using already anyway.)
18 Apr, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 11th comment:
I don't think the situation is quite that urgent… we should note that the features being moved are probably not used by all that many of us. While it isn't great that they're going in this direction in general, it does make some sense for them to be doing it, and it doesn't look like they're abandoning the open source version.
18 Apr, 2008, Guest wrote in the 12th comment:
I may well have posted in haste, one of the other guys on the QSF project made it seem more urgent than it probably is. The trend is a bit disturbing though, even if they eventually put the code into the non-Enterprise source. Sun is a bit of a wild card in this area.

I/we do/did have plans to try and at least get PgSQL support working but that was slated for the 2.0 release series. Which is sadly not getting much attention because of the lack of participation by the other devs, and by the lack of my knowledge in the area of DB stuff. Really, I think a lot of the QSF engine needs a good kick in the head with a rewrite or something. The DB support and the skinning system especially.
20 Apr, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 13th comment:
As ugly and evil as it is, have you considered using ODBC instead of the native API? I've been slooooowly trying to get some odbc code for Smaug working, and it's not a pretty thing. But, it does allow you to switch databases without having to change your code. For simple things like a forum or mud, you probably don't need to do too much that's DB specific anyways.

Just a thought.
21 Apr, 2008, Guest wrote in the 14th comment:
I don't really know much about ODBC or how to interact with it, so I doubt it'll happen at my hand. But if someone else were to come up with something I'd be more than willing to make sure the codebase for QSFP could support it.
07 May, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 15th comment:
07 May, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 16th comment:
DavidHaley said:

Just when I was considering PostgreSQL, you come and bring hope back into my life.. :p

Nah, I'm just used to MySQL and not really in the market to switch my server around and switching all my sites to use a different database. :p

Either way, good news. :)
0.0/16