24 Jan, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
Tailsthefox said:
My post are crap! I won't get hosted :(

Make better poast?!? :D
26 Jan, 2008, dexatrin82 wrote in the 42nd comment:
Yeah Using http://zeno.biyg.org and I go to Login and it doesn't even show me as a user online.
26 Jan, 2008, dexatrin82 wrote in the 43rd comment:
Yeah Because I am really trying to find a place to develop a mud I've been working on offline for almost a year now. And am sick of using cygwin to work on a mud. I'm probably going to take a while to make 5 good posts though, so just wondering if here can be any exception to that rule?
26 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 44th comment:
The standards for "good post" seem to be pretty low… so I wouldn't worry about it too much. :wink:
29 Jan, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 45th comment:
dexatrin82 said:
Yeah Because I am really trying to find a place to develop a mud I've been working on offline for almost a year now. And am sick of using cygwin to work on a mud. I'm probably going to take a while to make 5 good posts though, so just wondering if here can be any exception to that rule?

Install Linux. :D Don't have to worry about Cygwin then. :D
29 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 46th comment:
Well if you take that option seriously, and assuming all you want is really just a Linux environment, you could install a virtual machine running Linux quite easily. It would give you a Linux environment to work in, and would make it easier to transition to a Linux host later on.
26 Feb, 2008, exeter wrote in the 47th comment:
DavidHaley said:
Well if you take that option seriously, and assuming all you want is really just a Linux environment, you could install a virtual machine running Linux quite easily. It would give you a Linux environment to work in, and would make it easier to transition to a Linux host later on.

I recommend VirtualBox or VMWare Player. Both are free as in beer, and VirtualBox has an open source version, if that's important to you. Of the two, VMWare seems to be the more stable, but I haven't had any problems with anything except Gentoo Linux under VirtualBox.
26 Feb, 2008, Brinson wrote in the 48th comment:
Microsoft also has their own virtualization app called virtualPC but I haven't tried it.
09 Apr, 2008, Magus wrote in the 49th comment:
Hello to you all. Couldn't help but overhear something about a free mud hosting? Thank God. I have been everywhere having to jump through flaming hoops and perform circus acts and lord knows what else to get one. and even then they're still like "heh heh heh, I got the space, you need us, so you can wait a year". I mean, what Zeno has up there is reasonable. He doesn't want some crazy ass noob spammer to use his space and I think that's a rather respectable request if you ask me. This is my first post – yes I know, but hey, what he said caught my attention. :alien:

I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me later.
10 Apr, 2008, Conner wrote in the 50th comment:
Magus said:
Hello to you all.

Howdy, and welcome aboard. :smile:

Magus said:
I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me later.

At least in four more posts, eh? :wink: :biggrin:
15 Apr, 2008, Magus wrote in the 51st comment:
LOL! I actually like it here, no seriously! This place is sorta different.

11 posts later….
(Dramatization)

OMG OMG culd sum1 plz host me plz plz? omg u guys r mean how do I get host plz? sum1 lvl me plz how do u get lvl
omg I kno u hack!!11!!11!oneone1!!

"There is no spoone"
– The Matricks
16 Apr, 2008, Conner wrote in the 52nd comment:
Ah, but now that you've got the post count, do you have the days you need? :wink: :evil:
16 Apr, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 53rd comment:
Conner said:
Ah, but now that you've got the post count, do you have the days you need? :wink: :evil:

You guys live for this, huh? lol

It's painful to watch, I remember the days of needing free hosts. lol
16 Apr, 2008, Davion wrote in the 54th comment:
Conner said:

A million posts is nothing if only one or two is quality ;)
17 Apr, 2008, Conner wrote in the 55th comment:
Kjwah said:
You guys live for this, huh? lol

Nah, not really, it's just amusing because we don't see new additions here that often, let alone of the variety who post that they'll be around now and then follow up with "ok, I made it.." :wink: :lol:

Davion said:
A million posts is nothing if only one or two is quality ;)

Oh I know it, I suppose that I might have enough posts to qualify for Zeno's hosting at this point, but it's taken me 23 months to get here. :wink:
17 Apr, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 56th comment:

It's painful to watch every single MUD host charge ridiculous prices for what is offered, even in this day and age.
17 Apr, 2008, Guest wrote in the 57th comment:
I'm curious as to what's being defined as ridiculous pricing, being a host myself :)
17 Apr, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 58th comment:
I've brought it up on TMC and MudMagic (recently), and it seems everyone agrees/neutral(?).

Here is a quote of mine from TMC:
Yes, but this is MUD related. For some reason all MUD related prices seem to be like 100x more expensive. MudMagic offers 100MB for $8/month. Most MUD hosts are around this price.

Then you have "normal" hosts that offer like 1,500 GB for like $10/month.

I know that MUDs don't consume a lot of HDD space, but seriously. There's no reason to skimp on giving out space.
17 Apr, 2008, Guest wrote in the 59th comment:
Heh. Well I guess that roundaboutly answered what I was after. I fall somewhere just off the same mark and can't be considered "normal" by whoever thinks we can all just give away multiple gigabyte accounts like they're water.

In all honesty though, "normal" MUD hosting is obsolete, we just haven't realized it yet. For the truly dedicated who think they need 2GB of space, a VPS is a much better alternative. For $20/month you basically get the whole thing to yourself, usually with a minimum of 5GB and all the CPU and RAM you can consume in what's been allocated to the VPS. Plus you have root, so you get to decide how the system is configured.
17 Apr, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 60th comment:
While I think 100MB is a little small, 1.5GB is a little excessive and frankly is probably worth more than $10/month when you consider that an operation that size is likely to be using a fair amount of other resources. FWIW I think that Samson's prices are very reasonable given what you get for them in terms of resources and service. Either way, I agree with him: if somebody needs something that big, they probably want a virtual machine hosting solution anyhow.
40.0/176