30 Jul, 2006, Guest wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Yeah. So I was going to bring over the updated skin and stuff from the dev site. I thought to myself "Yes Samson, you tested IE already. Go for it." So foolishly I listened to that little inner voice telling me it was ok to bump up the skin to the new stuff on the dev site.

That didn't go over so well. Sure, Firefox and Opera have no complaints about either layout. But sure enough, it hit me, after installing the new stuff, that the IE I remembered testing with was IE7b3 at work, not at home on IE6. So when I opened it up to make sure nothing bad happened and noticed the front page in shambles because of some asinine <div> bug in IE6, I had to revert back to the current skin.

So in short, Microsoft sucks ass and is holding site development back at the moment. Pure evil. The bright side for IE users is that the site will work just fine in IE7. Too bad you'll need XP with SP2 in order to use it. Or *bleh* Vista.
30 Jul, 2006, Justice wrote in the 2nd comment:
Gotta love that… no 2 microsoft versions behave the same… issue. And that ladies and gentleman is why I prefer "intranet" over "internet" work.
30 Jul, 2006, Conner wrote in the 3rd comment:
You mean folks still use IE? :wink:

You know the Microsoft mantra is: M.I.N.O. (money is no object) and everyone who uses a Microsoft product is fully encouraged to always stay cutting edge on their updates, even if means getting a newer computer to support the newest updates that are auto-downloaded to your existing computer… So if there's a bug in the old IE it shouldn't matter because everyone will be forced to use the new one soon anyway. :wink:
30 Jul, 2006, Guest wrote in the 4th comment:
Sadly, yes. 19% of the visitors to this site still use IE. And as much as I'd love to bring the new skin updates over, I can't unless all 19% of those people want to go download a beta of IE7 from M$. But as we all know, their betas are the quality of everyone elses pre-alpha code! The real "beta" testers will be those who download the gold release the day it goes official.

So there will be a bit of more incremental changing going on that IE will stand for. Like the profile links to upload information on the user screen etc.
30 Jul, 2006, Zeno wrote in the 5th comment:
I'm not sure what problem IE had, but when you did the update I was on the site looking at it with Firefox, and it looked really… bad. I don't know if that's just the update, or that my Firefox was also having issues displaying it.
30 Jul, 2006, Guest wrote in the 6th comment:
No, what you probably saw was because of cached CSS data. You would have needed to refresh the page to get Firefox to download the new CSS. Not that it matters now since IE more or less ruined that plan.
31 Jul, 2006, Conner wrote in the 7th comment:
I'm still amazed that 19% of the members of this community would be here via IE.. I can understand the majority of the sheep in the world, but most of us are dealing with internet (if not code) closely enough day in and day out that all the problems IE has wouldn't be worth hanging onto when there are free alternatives. *shrug*
31 Jul, 2006, Tyche wrote in the 8th comment:
So what's the bug?
31 Jul, 2006, Asylumius wrote in the 9th comment:
We get a lot of one-timers from Google, wikipedia, etc. I'd be interested to see the percentage of regulars or repeat viewers that use IE. I'd imagine (and hope) it's lower than 19%.

As for the bug, the only one I see on the dev site right now for IE is with the news items legend stuff.
31 Jul, 2006, mordecai wrote in the 10th comment:
check this: http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/
Fixes the most known bugs, including png transparency and :before and :after pseudo elements.
It's basically like how IE7 renders it, except with MORE fixes.
31 Jul, 2006, Guest wrote in the 11th comment:
I've actually tried the Dean Edwards code before and found it to do pretty much nothing. I made sure I had installed it correctly several times and always ended up with no change, or in some cases with slightly worse results. It was one of the things I checked out when looking for png transparency fixes.

I've since found a pngfix script that works and doesn't create serious problems. So I've had no reason to go looking for more. As Asylumius said, the placement of the divs in the news page is messed up. The display of the file index for the code repository also fails to work properly. The center box ends up starting past the end of the longest side column. All of which is annoying as hell and holds everything back because M$ is too stubborn to just fix their bugware.
31 Jul, 2006, mordecai wrote in the 12th comment:
The reason I suggested it, is because the problem you described sounded like a box model bug - which is IE's biggest problem, and is fixed in the IE7 code.
I'm not sure why you didn't notice a difference, because I cannot make a website without it. It dramatically helps in IE hacking. Although, I do have a tendency to make very complex layouts….
03 Aug, 2006, Davion wrote in the 13th comment:
mordecai said:
The reason I suggested it, is because the problem you described sounded like a box model bug - which is IE's biggest problem, and is fixed in the IE7 code.
I'm not sure why you didn't notice a difference, because I cannot make a website without it. It dramatically helps in IE hacking. Although, I do have a tendency to make very complex layouts….

In IE's defense *dodges bricks* I'm currently being held back by a firefox bug, in which my pastebin's line numbers are being offset by blank lines. It seems, when a line is blank, it takes up more horizontal room than a line with something on it. I'm going bald over this one :D But don't worry. We'll figure it out.
03 Aug, 2006, mordecai wrote in the 14th comment:
If by 'bug', you mean correct rendering, then I can assume a correct assessment. Try comparing the results with Opera - they use standards too.
03 Aug, 2006, Guest wrote in the 15th comment:
The dev site renders identically in Opera 9 and Firefox 2. The only exception being the pastebin text alignment which is a Firefox rendering bug. But it's most definitely IE holding things back with it's broken div bugs that are far more noticeable.
04 Aug, 2006, mordecai wrote in the 16th comment:
What's a pastebin?
04 Aug, 2006, Davion wrote in the 17th comment:
Well, it lets you paste code on the site that then is line-numbered, and the syntax is highlighted. It is also tied in with the code repository to allow you to view single source codes from the site, without downloading. It's pretty immature at this point in time, and not quite ready for release. I've squashed all the firefox bugs to date, but am still wrestling with a IE bug that is still present in IE7 *mutter*.
05 Aug, 2006, mordecai wrote in the 18th comment:
Hrm, okay. I guess I can't comment on something I haven't really seen then. :P
0.0/18