16 Feb, 2008, Avaeryn wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I recently started up a QuickMUD mostly for building. I have managed to strip all the stock areas out except for those that are required.

After removing all the areas from area.lst, redefining all those lovely required vnums in merc.h, and a clean compile, the log shows the following:

Sat Feb 16 12:57:03 2008 :: [*****] BUG: Fread_obj: bad vnum 3716.
Sat Feb 16 12:57:03 2008 :: [*****] BUG: Fread_obj: incomplete object.
Sat Feb 16 12:57:03 2008 :: [*****] BUG: Fread_obj: bad vnum 3703.
Sat Feb 16 12:57:03 2008 :: [*****] BUG: Fread_obj: bad vnum 3702.
Sat Feb 16 12:57:03 2008 :: [*****] BUG: Fread_obj: bad vnum 3704.

I have searched for the vnums using the search function within the usermin interface.
Currently I can't find any references to these vnums. An area created with the vnum range of 3700-3725
seems to have fixed the errors being generated in the logs.

Any idea what those vnums are and what they are required for?

Please be gentle, this is my first request for coding help here. :thinking:
16 Feb, 2008, Davion wrote in the 2nd comment:
When ever you see a bug that you don't quite understand in the logs, look for it in the code and see why the bug was raised. fread_obj is in save.c so you can just hop there. It's raised here->

if (!fNest || (fVnum && obj->pIndexData == NULL))
{
bug ("Fread_obj: incomplete object.", 0);
free_obj (obj);
return;
}

Most likely because you removed all those special objects, it didn't load, but you didn't purge them all from the world. I'm guessing you probably have one of these objects on your own character, or someone else has it. Go into the player directory and from your friendly linux shell just type
grep 3716 *

And it should show you which playerfiles have that loaded.
16 Feb, 2008, Avaeryn wrote in the 3rd comment:
I would almost bet those were the stock pieces of mud school eq I had on my person when I relogged. Forgot to remove those and purge them.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on things to see if those show up again.
17 Feb, 2008, Avaeryn wrote in the 4th comment:
Davion said:
When ever you see a bug that you don't quite understand in the logs, look for it in the code and see why the bug was raised. fread_obj is in save.c so you can just hop there. It's raised here->

if (!fNest || (fVnum && obj->pIndexData == NULL))
{
bug ("Fread_obj: incomplete object.", 0);
free_obj (obj);
return;
}

Most likely because you removed all those special objects, it didn't load, but you didn't purge them all from the world. I'm guessing you probably have one of these objects on your own character, or someone else has it. Go into the player directory and from your friendly linux shell just type
grep 3716 *

And it should show you which playerfiles have that loaded.

Thanks, Davion, for the response. The problem is now taken care of. You will probably hear from me again as I am sure I will have another stupid newbie question in the near future.

I try to research everything by searching forums and on Google before asking though :tongue: Not into getting flamed for asking "stoopid" questions. :lol:

I have never claimed to be a coder, far from it actually! But I am determined to get this thing going on my own if I have to.

On the positive side I have gotten it to run now with stripped areas.
18 Feb, 2008, Davion wrote in the 5th comment:
Avaeryn said:
I try to research everything by searching forums and on Google before asking though :tongue: Not into getting flamed for asking "stoopid" questions. :lol:

I have never claimed to be a coder, far from it actually! But I am determined to get this thing going on my own if I have to.

On the positive side I have gotten it to run now with stripped areas.

Haha. You don't really have to defend yourself :). This is part of the reason these forums are here. We welcome any and all questions. Sometimes finding the solution isn't always the best. When I was learning, I found it better to be explained why it's happening, then how to fix it to avoid from doing it again. And!! If you can strip areas out, you should be able to install the IMC client *nudge nudge*
18 Feb, 2008, Tommi wrote in the 6th comment:
When I was learning, I found it better to be explained why it's happening, then how to fix it to avoid from doing it again.

It was also the same for me, which is why, when i have a smaug specific code question, i go to nick gammons site to ask it. I have always found that the people there are willing to share experience and to teach you about the code, but never just show you how to do it. I find that by doing so they teach you to actually understand what is happening and why and to make you in the process a better coder.
19 Feb, 2008, Conner wrote in the 7th comment:
Tommi said:
Davion said:
When I was learning, I found it better to be explained why it's happening, then how to fix it to avoid from doing it again.

It was also the same for me, which is why, when i have a smaug specific code question, i go to nick gammons site to ask it. I have always found that the people there are willing to share experience and to teach you about the code, but never just show you how to do it. I find that by doing so they teach you to actually understand what is happening and why and to make you in the process a better coder.

The only fallacy I find with that statement is that, in my experience, the majority of the folk you find at Gammon's are also the same ones who also post the most at this site and/or at Smaugmuds.org and/or TMC so, basically, it's not the people but possibly the prevalent atmosphere which you're really thinking of.
19 Feb, 2008, Guest wrote in the 8th comment:
I would tend to agree with Conner. Since Gammon's site, MudBytes, TMC, TMS, SmaugMuds.org, and Mudmagic are all basically frequented by the same group of people there's something other than just being helpful at play. Maybe it's how fast folks there respond, or perhaps just the aggressive moderation of troublemakers, I don't know. It could be that the "magic combination" of certain people interacting just doesn't exist there.
19 Feb, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
It has a lot to do with how the sites are run, not just who frequents them, because indeed many of the same people frequent them. (I wouldn't say that Gammon's has as much overlap as the other MUD sites, though.) The thing is that Gammon's site has its share of "magic combinations" – it's just that the example set by the site is very different and that tends to set the tone for the entire forum. The interesting thing is that there really isn't that much trouble there, and so not many troublemakers to be moderated, and I think a great deal of that is because trouble-attracting topics are avoided and discouraged.
0.0/9