07 Feb, 2008, Darmond wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
ok got two questions here firs of which is

how likely am I to be abile to use my tower if I let it dry out… thing is I woke up this morning and acasadently spilt a jug of water on it … it started acting funky and basacoly wouldent turn on properly etc it will turn on now but it feezes up and crashes farly quickly … it dose seem my HD is safe so all my information is fine any ways as I said if I let it dry out how likely is it to work still ?

secondly …. I still have my laptop running so I was thinking of takeing my backup of my mud and running it from my laptop how hard would that be since I run windows and would it be hard to convert my current data to exicute on windows ? last I rember running on windows required cygwin
07 Feb, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 2nd comment:
it's really simple to run a mud on a windows computer. Uninstall windows, install linux. Presto. But seriously, either use a virtual machine version of whatever Linux distro you use, or use Cygwin.

As far as the server goes, No, it's probably not going to work. Water and Electrical devices tend not to work well together. It tends to make things not work anymore.

Warning: Inner Asshole Escaped, Read with Caution.
Spoiler
And Um.. I personally would invest in a dictionary before rebuilding said server. it's accidentally, basically, wouldn't, fairly, able, execute, and remember. Or at least pick up a browser like Firefox that has built in spell checking.
08 Feb, 2008, syn wrote in the 3rd comment:
I would agree, either use a VM setup, or Cygwin.

The computer may work if you only let it dry for a couple of days, thats a pretty big if though. Most likely some of the small circuits have shorted by now and it is not usable.

Secondly, just as a point to Kayle: Posting here does not necessarily mean that Darmond is a native English speaker, or writer. I have quite a few Brazilian friends who would have a very difficult time trying to sound intelligent on these boards, though I know very well that they are.

/Shrug

-Syn
08 Feb, 2008, Darmond wrote in the 4th comment:
actualy I am a natroious bad speller :P most here know that … but I was spelling worse then usual cas I was kinda freaking out today since I fryed my server
08 Feb, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
The best way to save a computer after spilling water on it is to not turn it on, but indeed as has been pointed out it's probably dead now since the circuits would have shorted. I spilled water on my keyboard, and it didn't work at all until I let it dry out – but keyboards aren't powered like an actual tower is…

Still, it's worth a try waiting for it to dry and then trying again. Depending on what components got wet, you might still be ok. If anything related to power got wet, you're probably in trouble.
08 Feb, 2008, Guest wrote in the 6th comment:
Frankly I'd say you're lucky all that happened was the server got wet and doesn't work anymore. Water and electricity tend to be a dangerous, sometimes fatal mix. You're also lucky you didn't cause a larger short in the house power that could have started a fire too. Consider yourself lucky.
08 Feb, 2008, Mabus wrote in the 7th comment:
Kayle said:
it's really simple to run a mud on a windows computer. Uninstall windows, install linux. Presto.

Or be one of those funky-fresh folks running a Java codebase.

Sorry to hear about your server. When going to school (long ago) one day I was told "Electronics work on the smoke theory. If you let the smoke out they stop working.". If electronics get wet, shut off the power to them if possible and not dangerous. If you are not a tech call someone that is, to have them look it over before restoring power. Never, ever, place liquids near (or on) electronics. I used to have a cow when someone would set a beer on a guitar amplifier at a gig.
11 Feb, 2008, Brinson wrote in the 8th comment:
I know people who wash their motherboards with water and soap.

Water doesn't hurt electronics…the combination of water and electricity does. If you get anything electronic wet…turn it off immediately, remove the battery, and just don't touch it for a few days or weeks.
12 Feb, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 9th comment:
Actually water and soap will wash the grease off the connectors iirc.
12 Feb, 2008, Guest wrote in the 10th comment:
I can't imagine the residue left behind by washing a motherboard with soap and water would do it much good later, dry or otherwise.
12 Feb, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 11th comment:
What residue? Isn't the point of using soap and water that it doesn't leave residue behind? :wink:

(Well, assuming you actually rinse it properly afterwards…)
12 Feb, 2008, Guest wrote in the 12th comment:
Well there's soap residue left behind even after you rinse. And that doesn't even cover hard water deposits. Icky!
12 Feb, 2008, Justice wrote in the 13th comment:
Soaps tend to leave alot of residue behind that needs to be rinsed off. It's why most electronic and glass cleaners use a solvent that evaporates at room temperature (ie… alcohol).
12 Feb, 2008, syn wrote in the 14th comment:
Yep and why you need to clean the 'soap scum' out of your bathtub every once and a while :D

-Syn, and a little trick for any campers who do not like to get the bottom of their pots permanently blackened, use some dish soap on the bottom ( a thin coat ) before putting on the fire, the residue will wipe/rinse right off and you have a nice clean pan :D
13 Feb, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 15th comment:
Hrm… the 'soap scum' in the tub is usually due (in my experience) to not having rinsed/wiped the soap off properly… it becomes rapidly apparent when you didn't. Contrast with doing the dishes, where you (or at least I… :wink:) rinse off the dishes fairly well and dry them with a towel. No 'soap scum' even if I leave the plate there for weeks. I guess it has to do with how well you rinse/wipe off the object in question.

Using a solvent like alcohol makes lots of sense though because it reduces the need to wipe off what is in the scheme of things fairly fragile equipment. It's just that I haven't had such bad experience with soap residue except when I am careless…
13 Feb, 2008, syn wrote in the 16th comment:
Yeah even if you rinse a shower really well it still builds up. In the Navy for our inspections they would use UV lights on the white showers, had to be spotless. It builds quick, even with careful rinsing :)

-Syn
13 Feb, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 17th comment:
I suppose it's not just the rinsing but also the wiping process that happens during e.g. dish washing (I should note that I'm talking about washing dishes by hand).
13 Feb, 2008, syn wrote in the 18th comment:
Ah, yes, that usually helps things along, and stuff like dish soap is composed differently then body soap, which can be pretty important. Though liquid body soap is more like dish soap in that generally its residue is negligable.

Good point though :D

-Syn
14 Feb, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 19th comment:
Truthfully, depending on the codebase it should run easily on MSVC assuming you compile it on MSVC and not just try running the binary that was compiled on linux that is.
15 Feb, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 20th comment:
That's a pretty big "depending on the codebase"…
0.0/21