05 Feb, 2008, Tommi wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
It fun when you work 14 hours a day and spend the few moments here and there that you have spare working on your game. For the last few days i have been recoding how overland mobiles and overland resets are handled so that they perform a little more like the resets in a conventional zone.

Which brings me to a little crash bug that i managed to introduce because i used a false instead of a true in extract_char and was inadvertently extracting 5500 mobiles from the overland and putting them into ROOM_VNUM_TEMPLE, which just so happened the moment my mortal test char died and was sent there.

5500+ mobiles in 1 room did some funny things to show_char_to_char and well the end result was a smashed stack and me wondering what the hell was going on. Not being the smartest tool in the chest, i set to work trying to debug what was going on and 4 hours later i actually read the code for extract_char and realize that i have my true and false the wrong way about.

Anyone else got a funny coding story they wish to share?
05 Feb, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
I once transferred every single mob to the death room (during April Fools). Bad freaking idea. There's a log of it up on my MUD website. :P
05 Feb, 2008, Guest wrote in the 3rd comment:
Not nearly as exciting, but on the overland: at 50000 look

When your primary continent has a few hundred mobs by default, it gets quite spammy and sometimes knocks you off the link.
05 Feb, 2008, Mabus wrote in the 4th comment:
I feel for the switch on the true/false.

Just last week a coded a "Haunting Howl" for an undead canine MOB. It stuns, and has a chance (at night) to summon another of its kin that would immediately join in the battle.

Of course it ended up stunning itself during testing, because I switched the target by mistake…

Happens.
05 Feb, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 5th comment:
When I coded Skynet it was a single bit wrong in a bitwise operation that caused it to go to war.
05 Feb, 2008, Tommi wrote in the 6th comment:
kiasyn said:
When I coded Skynet it was a single bit wrong in a bitwise operation that caused it to go to war.

HEHE, I wonder if you had a hand in programming SkyLab as well, causing it to crash down all over my country.
05 Feb, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 7th comment:
which country?
05 Feb, 2008, Tommi wrote in the 8th comment:
Big chunks fo Skylab came down all over Australia.
0.0/8